Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Jenkins' Black Arrow 1965 Belvedere

Very nice! I just picked up my first sedan kit and can't wait to start on it! So many possible cars to replicate!

Trying in vain to read your list of "Many modifications". Could you please tell us what you added or modified?

One other thing.......What paint and colors did you use for the interior?

Again, awesome job!

WF

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it! Here's everything I can think of:

• Testors Classic White Lacquer (polished)
  • Bare Metal Foil 
  • Moebius ’65 Plymouth Belvedere kit except:
  • Wheels – Fronts are Revell T-Bolt, rear are AMT ’56 Ford
  • Tires are AMT Double Dragster (front and rear)
  • Slixx and Fred Cady decals
  • Resin A100 bucket seats and scratch built seat supports (specific to Chrysler A990 race cars)
  • Model Car Garage seat belt buckles
  • Evergreen scratch built roll cage
  • Steering column mounted tach (Johan ’64 Dodge)
  • Column automatic shifter (AMT ’71 Charger)
  • 8 ¾ rear axle – Revell ’69 Dart
  • Filled battery recess on inner fender (didn’t exist on A990 cars – battery was in the trunk)
  • 426 Hemi Heads, valve covers, breathers, intake and aluminum air cleaners – Johan ’64 Dodge
  • Carbs – modified AMT ’60 Ford
  • Fuel pump – Revell ’70 Hemi Cuda
  • Headers – Revell ’67 GTX
  • Fuel lines and carb linkage – scratchbuilt
  • Hemi spark plug boots – Replicas & Miniatures
  • Spark plug wiring – Morgan Automotive Details

Very nice! I just picked up my first sedan kit and can't wait to start on it! So many possible cars to replicate!

Trying in vain to read your list of "Many modifications". Could you please tell us what you added or modified?

One other thing.......What paint and colors did you use for the interior?

Again, awesome job!

WF

Hi Walter,

I used Tamiya AS-15 Tan, it's a military color. 

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann

Hi Jim,

Man, what a super clean and fantastic build!  I love it. 

Guys, on top of all the things Jim added, check out the radiator!  Very realistic detailing here.

QUESTION:  Jim, did you change the location of the motor?  The Lindberg 64 Dodges for instance, all have the motor too far forward.  I built one 2 years ago and moved the Hemi way back to the firewall, just like the way yours sits now.  Is the Moebius kit like this, or did you do some surgery?

This is a really nice build!

Hi Jim,

Man, what a super clean and fantastic build!  I love it. 

Guys, on top of all the things Jim added, check out the radiator!  Very realistic detailing here.

QUESTION:  Jim, did you change the location of the motor?  The Lindberg 64 Dodges for instance, all have the motor too far forward.  I built one 2 years ago and moved the Hemi way back to the firewall, just like the way yours sits now.  Is the Moebius kit like this, or did you do some surgery?

This is a really nice build!

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for the kind words. There are some great reference photos of these cars out there; I just try to find the right colors and finishes to make the parts as realistic looking as possible. As for the engine, I had to grind a little bit of the back of the firewall to make it fit right. It's probably back a little bit too far as the gap between the fan and radiator isn't as tight as it should be. I have several cars I want to build from this kit, and I've learned a lot on what to do differently on the next one. 

Jim

Wow. 

This kits been out what ...a week. 

And you already built this nice of a kit from it.

Most impressive.. 

I jist picked up a set of these decals to do one myself

Hi Bill, 

To be honest, the model is a test shot they sent me a couple months ago. I wish I could build that fast!

Thanks,

Jim