Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius ' 65 Belvedere, putt, putt, . . . . done!

smellyfatdude

Hey SFD, you could use the 340 from the AMT Duster kit. Just change the carb to a 2 bbl and find a correct air cleaner. Not much difference in the rest of the engine from a 273. The 318 for 65 would have been the old polyspherical head engine. Good luck with that one.

Is the old polyspherical head engine  the one that is called the big 318?  

I like the way this car is turning out.

Not everything sold down here had V8's with an automatic in them. That was a 70's thing then the 80's brought the love of cheap Air in cars. Many cars were purchased in the states with the old super 6 around here. I live in a town with a hydra matic plant and the jeep plant. With Detroit an hour away one would think that the Muscles cars were everywhere but most of the employees were frugal back then. An uncle worked at Hydra matic and his second to last new truck was a 6 with a three on the tree. The last of the square body chevy 1/2 ton trucks. Dad worked  at Ford and had one the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the "leaning tower of power" at home in the engine bay. The radiator is from the Lindberg kit, shortened slightly. I seem to have lost the washer bottle. Hmmm . . . . note to self: stop doing that! :o Also added some wash to the dog dish caps.

I used the Moebius muffler and tailpipe, and decorated it with some aluminum bmf. The rest of the exhaust is from the Lindberg kit. All in all, no fit issues to speak of from the mishmash of parts.

The interior will be next, then polish out the body and foil, windows, etc. ;)

Finished assembling the interior, this a.m. Kind of looks a little odd with no armrests in the car, but it does add to the whole econobox flavoring. You can't see it in any of these pics, but I snipped off the clutch and brake pedals and substituted the wide pedal from the Dodge kit, since the tranny is a slushbox.

The body's next!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good so far, SFD!  Looks like you're overcoming the shortcomings of the body right out of the box.

Too bad about the panel lines and emblems, also a LOT of people are posting that they are dealing with varying degrees of body warp.  Real disappointment to me, since I was really looking forward to getting this one, since it's right up my alley as a resto-mod street car with the big & little steelies or the mag option.  Really hoping they get these issues addressed and eventually do a second run of these down the road.

Is the old polyspherical head engine  the one that is called the big 318?  

More commonly, the Wide-Block 318. The poly-head is a pretty big engine physically. 

We need a good poly-head. With mainstreamers being as popular as they are, I'm really surprised nobody's stepped up and did one.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for your interest, and yes it's a shame about the body issues. Still, I did what I could with this one. Took awhile to get to this point, mainly because of a rather lumpy clear coat that required extra polishing. Here it is with the foil done (minus the hood lettering), windows in and joined. I left out the kit rear side windows, and cut my own out of clear sheet styrene. Other than that, box stock. Just from two different boxes, he. :rolleyes:

I'll say it again, that powerplant looks right at home. I'll share some finished pics in a new thread, when I get the doodads on and get it wrapped up. ;)

I suppose it makes sense from a cost perspective, if you're the manufacturer. Since the ' 65 Satellite already has the 426 wedge, they figured it was good enough for the Belvedere and just throw in a dual carb option with the new kit. Would have been nice if they'd included a hemi, so one could do an A990 variant. I'd like to do the Satellite with a 273 or 318, but I can't think of any kits that have those engines. :o

If I am not mistaken, The Lindberg "Little Red Wagon" Dodge A 100 Pickup  kit has a 273 in it. I am not sure about the transmission. I have several slants in my parts stash for several projects.

Very nice. Question does this kit have another engine option?

If you mean the Belvedere, no. You get a 426 wedge, with the option of dual carbs

If I am not mistaken, The Lindberg "Little Red Wagon" Dodge A 100 Pickup  kit has a 273 in it. I am not sure about the transmission. I have several slants in my parts stash for several projects.

Yes it does, and I recently found one on clearance at Michaels. But, now that I've finished the Belvedere the Satellite has been bumped down in the queue.