Model Cars Magazine Forum

`67 Camaro SS 396-Revell

69NovaYenko

Finally finished the `67 Camaro 396 Revell kit build. The kit went together fairly easily with only a few challenges along the way. The biggest one was I had to fiddle with the front valance to make it to fit properly. The exterior and interior color is Arctic White from Tru-Color. It was my first time using Tru-colors lacquers. They are known for their railroad paints; however they have recently branch off into the automotive arena. Even though the manufacturer claims it is "airbrush ready" out the bottle I found I had to thin it further to get it to flow consistently through my airbrush. I recommend you use Tru-Color brand of thinner for best results. The three passes of Arctic White went on smoothly and we  finished it off with three passes of  Mr. Hobby Super Clear lacquer. I decided to accent the scribed body panel lines with a wash of Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey. To finish the body off I applied Bare-Metal foil and a two liberal coats of  The Treatment carnuaba  wax. I used the kitted tires but opted to use a set of "Goodyear Polyglass" white lettering decals from Mikes Decals under a pass of Tamiya semi-gloss acrylic verses the kit supplied red-line tire decals. 

DSC_0252.JPG

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Revell incorrectly kitted the `67 Camaro with multi-leaf  springs. The `67 Camaro was fielded with a single leaf which resulted in excessive rear wheel hop under heavy acceleration; however the next model year 1968 this issue was resolved by incorporating a multi-leaf spring setup. This was easily corrected with a sanding stick; turning the mutli-leaf springs into a single leaf spring. Note photo with leaf spring modification.

Also, contributing to the rear wheel hop issues was Chevy`s engineers decision to mount both rear shocks forwarded of the rear axle.  In 1968 they corrected this problem by staggering one shock forward and one shock aft the rear axle. However, in 1967 a number of Camaro owners resolved this issue through the addition of slap style traction bars. I sourced a nice pair of resin cast Lakewood style slap traction bars from the Revell Monogram `70 Ford Torino GT Pro-Modler kit and give them a splash of Tamiya flat yellow.

DSC_0190.jpg

We also sourced the steering column mounted tach from the Revell `69 Daytona 2-N-1 Pro-Modler kit. I also enhanced the appearance of the dash and center console with Keith Marks `67 Camaro decal set by adding air vents, gauges, in-dash radio and Camaro scripts. Additionally, I mounted an 8-track player to the top of the center console courtesy of Replica & Miniatures of Maryland `67 Deluxe Interior Package kit to give the interior a true sixties vibe.

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

I opted to use a Morgan Automotive Detail pre-wired distributor for the engine

DSC_0276.jpg

and  I also did some minor firewall wiring.

DSC_0180.jpg

I took a moment to enhance the chassis detail by pulling out the engraved fuel and break lines as well as the muffler hangers brackets with a Prismacolor metallic silver art pencil.

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

I also used a black wash on the "Fly-eye" style air cleaner to bring out the very meticulous engraving Revell did on the piece. Additional items like  photo-etched radiator cap and battery terminals from Detail Master were used to enhance the engine bay appearance. Era correct "Chevy #1" decals on the valve covers, "Delco" battery logo and fan shroud "Caution" logos were conveniently supplied by the Revell kitted decal sheet.

DSC_0280.jpg

Thanks for looking. Your questions, comments and critiques are welcomed.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

A beautiful build with outstanding work to correct some of the kit's issues and excellent detailing and paint work!  In 1973 thru 1975 this 1:1 Camaro lived in my hometown, (except it had a completely Black interior).  I lusted after that car those couple of years and still think of it today, over 40 years later!  When I start my build of this kit, that's the car I'll be modeling, and I'll be using your great build as further inspiration!

Great looking build. I share your love of these cars. I owned a Hugger Orange '69 Camaro for a total of 18 years. I was the second and forth owner of the car and sold it in '95 to get a new pickup. Now I couldn't afford to buy a Camaro of that quality for less than the cost of a new car. You build looks just the way I remember these cars when they were everywhere.    

Thanks for the kind word everyone. This is my first time posting any of my finished projects. I`m contemplating doing the Revell `67 NICKEY Camaro as my next project. But, I have to many half finished and stalled projects laying around gathering dust or taking up precious workbench space. So, I think I will get those done before I start anything new. Thanks for looking.

Great work sir!! That firewall is one of the best I have ever seen. Just wondering what gauge wire it is. Thanks! 

Thank you for the kind remarks.

The firewall was done with "detailing wire" from Detail Master DM-1102  the package says .0075 diameter. Got it in several different colors from them a number of years ago...not sure if they still carry it.

Edited by 69NovaYenko