Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '71 Thunderbird

Lunajammer

One disappointment. The lower front valance is molded to the chassis. When all the pin holes are lined up and the chassis is in place, it appears the valance sticks out too far and creates a gap.

Likewise, it appears to sick out the front too far and misaligns the front end. The solution seems to be to cut it off and reposition it.

awesome decals....right!...the rims interest me.but I may get a few.what engine a tranny does it have in it? I would probably build a few as factory stock and use the rims on a couple other builds....pretty cool, I like it.....Chris 

awesome decals....right!...the rims interest me.but I may get a few.what engine a tranny does it have in it? I would probably build a few as factory stock and use the rims on a couple other builds....pretty cool, I like it.....Chris 

Looks like an incorrect-for-a-1971-Thunderbird F.E.-Series ( 352-360-390-427-428 ) backed by a 4-speed ( I'm not sure if the Thunderbird of this era could be had with a manual transmission ) .

Great review Mike. I too have purchased the most recent reissue. And since I build the Model King version of this kit a few years back stock. I'm still thinking about doing this one like the box art. With the hidden headlamps and loud decals. Those decals are awful and groovy at the same time.

Interesting the problem your having with the front valance pan. It seems to me that when I screwed the chassis up into the body on my last build, it ended up fitting a lot better. I do seem to remember a gap before that. So, try screwing it down first. That should cure the problem.

I have the M-K 71

and Built a Motor City's Stocker 70 for a Car Club Friend

I altered that one into a 4dr. (Re-scribed door lines & addititonal door handles only I did not lift the rear of the roof)

Due to painting them Body color, I did cut Both front & Rear pans off the chassis

And will do so again with the M-K 71 I have

More so for ease of painting them than fit issues