Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Lunajammer

AMT '71 Thunderbird

Recommended Posts

One disappointment. The lower front valance is molded to the chassis. When all the pin holes are lined up and the chassis is in place, it appears the valance sticks out too far and creates a gap.

Likewise, it appears to sick out the front too far and misaligns the front end. The solution seems to be to cut it off and reposition it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome decals....right!...the rims interest me.but I may get a few.what engine a tranny does it have in it? I would probably build a few as factory stock and use the rims on a couple other builds....pretty cool, I like it.....Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome decals....right!...the rims interest me.but I may get a few.what engine a tranny does it have in it? I would probably build a few as factory stock and use the rims on a couple other builds....pretty cool, I like it.....Chris 

Looks like an incorrect-for-a-1971-Thunderbird F.E.-Series ( 352-360-390-427-428 ) backed by a 4-speed ( I'm not sure if the Thunderbird of this era could be had with a manual transmission ) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those decals are not loud enough. I might have to get one just to build as a Slammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SPECTACULAR job of the photographs and the over all revue !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review Mike. I too have purchased the most recent reissue. And since I build the Model King version of this kit a few years back stock. I'm still thinking about doing this one like the box art. With the hidden headlamps and loud decals. Those decals are awful and groovy at the same time.

Interesting the problem your having with the front valance pan. It seems to me that when I screwed the chassis up into the body on my last build, it ended up fitting a lot better. I do seem to remember a gap before that. So, try screwing it down first. That should cure the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did start on one of the Model King issues I have and I did cut the front pan away from the chassis pan. Only way I could see to get a good fit. It's still in primer in it's box now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the M-K 71

and Built a Motor City's Stocker 70 for a Car Club Friend

I altered that one into a 4dr. (Re-scribed door lines & addititonal door handles only I did not lift the rear of the roof)

Due to painting them Body color, I did cut Both front & Rear pans off the chassis

And will do so again with the M-K 71 I have

More so for ease of painting them than fit issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...