Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Lots ever get models like Ollie's does?

I remember when Big Lots had the RC2 Nostalgia Series kits, that was probably in 2007 or 2008. A few years before that, the Big Lots store by me had LOADS of the Canadian release of the Revell-Germany Jacques Villeneuve Williams F1 car for $5 apiece. 

There are not any Ollie's in my area, but we have a place called Tuesday Morning. It's an odd mix of closeout stuff including some higher-end housewares. My sister got a really nice piece of Victorinox luggage there once too. They get kits every so often. and if I'm in there I'll check....you really have to look around because the shelves seem to be stocked based on whatever will fit in available space. Few years ago the had some of the Round 2 AMT pre-paint NASCAR COT kits super cheap. Before that, I bought some of the RC2-era specials that I think were done for Stevens International...for sure I bought the '27 Ford T police car and think there was at least one other one too. They were cheap, maybe $6.99 or something like that. Have seen J. Lloyd-era Lindberg kits and Hawk die casts there too.

There are a lot of housewares and home items in Tuesday Morning, but the few stores I've been in also have a large aisles of toys. Have had the occasional Hot Wheels find there too...usually recently discontinued collector-series cars that the big box stores have stopped stocking.

I ran across a store in Salisbury, NC and another one in Galax, VA called Merchandise Mart.  They carried quite a good stock of Revell kits, not necessarily recent issues but they were reasonably priced.  Last time I was in one of them, kits were selling for $9.99, but that was four or five years ago. Where I live now Salisbury is 50+ miles one way and Galax 65+ one way, so doubt if I will be able to check into them again.  However, I do run through Ollies  anytime I am in town.

There are not any Ollie's in my area, but we have a place called Tuesday Morning...

Thanks for the heads-up.  My small town has a Tuesday Morning, which advertises itself as "brand name home decor and furniture at closeout deals."  The one here is like a smaller version of Big Lots, you never know what you'll find.  When I relocated back here 2 years ago I needed some plates, bowls etc. and Tuesday Morning had some good ones cheap. Never seen model kits in Tuesday Morning, but I have seen some 1/24 and 1/18 die-cast cars in there. 

Also some cheap "princess castle playhouse" type toys. Those sometimes have cobblestone or other patterned bases that can work for diorama bases, walls etc.

Now I'll have to drop in every week and check out their toy aisle, when I make my rounds of the thrift stores. This little town has 7 of those. Their workers tell me that on weekends, people drive for hundreds of miles to hit those thrift stores.