Model Cars Magazine Forum

a '40 Ford with Kenny - update 4/17

Jantrix

A fellow model club member and good friend, Ken Ward passed away recently. Ken was a great guy with a real big heart and man, he just loved this hobby. He loved the artwork and the social aspect of the hobby in our club. He became a great friend. He enjoyed building but didn't agonize about perfection. He built to his skill level. He competed but didn't sweat it. As his illness progressed he built less and less but was always a fixture at our meetings and we miss him dearly.

After he passed, he left his collection and tools to the club. We've divided some of the open/in progress/completed stuff, but the good stuff, the sell-able stuff, we're taking to a swap meet and the procedes will go to his widow.

One of the things I got was this '40 Coupe. It's a good representation of what he liked and what he built. What I've decided to do with it, is to sort of build it with him. I'm gonna take it from here so to speak. He always liked my weathered/patina models, so without disassembling the model, I'm going to add some patina and a little style. I'll replace some missing parts, change out the wheels and tires, and give the hot rod the "lived in " look. I'll put his name on the license plate and call it done. So it becomes something we both built. I think he'd have liked that. More soon.

20160414_063808_zps2hyabn8w.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Some more work.

My pal Kenny had orange under this red so distressing this was pretty easy. He wasn't big on getting rid of mold lines, so I had to add the primered areas up front to do so. I'v added some washes and made a scoop from an old oil pan. Next up is the weathering powders and decals.