Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford Early Altered - 1/16th Scale

gasser59

I've picked up one of the Revell 1/16th scale '34s from my friend Greg Myers. Its a well previously-built 80's style that I have plans on doing an early altered style with a Mark Johnson 392 hemi which I already have. Been saving it just for this build. It will be fenderless and have a scratch-built functioning straight axle. Not sure on the kind of rear end, depends on what's readily available. Thinking I'll open the doors as well as the trunk lid. This will be fun.

Here's the car that inspired this build although i won't be building a replica.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq96/flyfshr/Scale Auto Builds/1933 Ford Altered/34FordAltered_zpsyonqc37m.jpg

Mooneyzs will be so proud I've jumped into 1/16th scale. He's been hounding me for years.  LOL

Edited by gasser59

OK fellas, here's those aforementioned photos. This is how I got this from Greg and it is really a good base from which to start.

I started by carefully undoing the glue joints. Thanks Greg for not using a lot of glue as these came apart easily.

Hopefully some bench time this Sunday. My Saturday is jam packed.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad.... Tell me it isn't so?? I need to pick myself up off the floor..... Am I dreaming or are you finally starting a 1/16th build??  It's only taken me long enough to twist your arm to start one of these ;) :lol:. I have to tell you that you may just get hooked on these 1/16th scale builds. I am super excited to see what you do to this build. I really like your idea on how you want to build this and going with fender less is going to be sweet. As for a rear end I would recommend one from TDR they have a Ford 9" as well as a Mark Williams set up. I look forward to updates on this.

AHA!!!!!!!!! Found you where you thought I'd never look for ya, huh? I'm too slick for you Brad.

I've got my unfinished 1/16 Hawaiin that had 2 failed paint jobs. I got the Vega wagon body and the Wonder Wagon decals, just waiting for paint. And motivation.

I always heard about how the slicks collapse over time. Never saw it until now. Is there a fix prior to that happening? I don't think Goodyear makes a 1/16 inner liner and tube.

Hey Joe, no hiding from you. The new Hawaiian has better slicks that don't look like they'll collapse. I may use them on this build although I'm hoping for some pie crusts to be more period correct.

Edited by gasser59

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Pulled out the Mark Johnson 392 and set it up this morning since I can't seem to get motivated on anything else. Mark's engine is so well done. It has a few places that need a little attention. This will be my first attempt at a resin engine. Any thing I should know before I dig in?

Mark's392.JPG

Gather 1:1 reference photos showing every detail you'd like to include and survey the casting for what may be missing before painting. Clean the casting using methods prescribed by the resin manufacturer.  Verify the scale accuracy of the casting.

• 5 weeks later...

Have fun with the engine. You have the Ford 9" sent to you following your latest purchase. Just to let you know I finished the later version of the Ford 9" and now have both early and late style rear ends. Revell's 34 Ford is a nice kit, however I wish Revell would have opened the doors and trunk like other large scale kits. I spent a lot of time getting that detail into the 34 and yet it sits in the 'never to see the light of day' stack of unfinished kits. Good luck with your project, I will be following along.

Edited by edboys