Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24's - post 'em up !!

Jantrix

My uncle was a lifelong modeler. A few years ago I was given his collection of model kits, and much to my surprise, near every one of them was a Monogram 1/24 kit. After some initial disappointment, I've been working my way through them, trading some, building others. They are generally simple, with low parts count, and occasionally the dimensions are a little off. And it seems for those reasons they seem to get very little respect from builders. But in my opinion, they are very under valued. The simplicity of the kits is an asset in that they make great quickie-get-yer-mojo-back-slump-breaker builds. There is a good variety of subjects with a lot of Tom Daniels style customs, plenty of hot rods, classics and muscle cars. Also, I have found very few major fitment issues. The kits are very well engineered, and go together very well. The '39 Chevy body-to-fenders fitment has been the only fitment problem I've had.

If you've turned up your nose at 1/24 before for whatever reason, I urge you to reconsider and give one a try next time you hit a slump or need a low stress build after you've finished the huge project.

So, lets show what can be done with these under-appreciated kits. Lets see what you have built from the Monogram 1/24 scales. Show them off!

• Like 1

Y'all have seen these, but out of all the models I've ever built, these are the only two 1/24 Monogram kits I've finished!

P7110003

P7110005

On the Corvette, I did cheat a little on use some 1/25 parts as they looked better than what was in the kit. ;)

P7262547

P7262546

PA127608

There was never a proper '55 T-Bird in 1/24 or 1/25th, so I converted Monogram's '56 into this one. 

• Like 1

Here;s  couple...................................................

What other hobbies does everyone have? I have pretty much had an aquarium of one sort setup since 1981 or so. In 2006 I started noticing some awesome aquarium photos and decided I needed to learn how to do that. Then I decided I needed to try and photograph everything. Why do hobbies end up being so expensive :)

s-barbatus-2.jpg

anthias-1-1024.jpg

287938_458304170857211_2092013313_o.jpg

cs2009-22.jpg

WOW...some really nice looking work!  For me, when I was a kid these kits were so much easier to get together when compared to Revell's offerings and I thought they were cooler than the AMT Hot Rods.  With all the different 1/24 Monogram cars available over the years the kit bashing possibilities are amazing.   Here are the ones I've built over the past few years.

31 TUB.jpg

32 FORD.jpg

BLUE BEETLE.jpg

BADMAN.jpg

DISCO CAMARO.JPG

IN WORK.jpg

• Like 1