Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Hobbies

Xingu

What other hobbies does everyone have? I have pretty much had an aquarium of one sort setup since 1981 or so. In 2006 I started noticing some awesome aquarium photos and decided I needed to learn how to do that. Then I decided I needed to try and photograph everything. Why do hobbies end up being so expensive :)

I used to do a lot of photography in the film days, but my digital equipment hasn't been updated in eons...still shooting an ancient 4-megapixel Nikon.

Also draw, paint, sculpt, build / restore / modify real cars, dabble in electronics and to a very limited degree (for now) AI. Audiophile stuff too, high-end system built from a mix of older tech. Occasionally pull out a larger-scale wooden model sailboat or flying model, or something in HO, and 1/32-1/24 scale plastic aircraft.

Read avidly, science fiction, crime fiction, history, tech and science stuff.

For several years, I was involved with gunsmithing / reloading, still do some target shooting to try to stay sharp. 

And still fly occasionally, when the time / money situations permit.

Ummmm...and hiking. Beautiful day here, out the door momentarily. 

No wonder I never seem to finish much of anything!  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Stamp collecting (US only). I know, kinda nerdy... but it's the only hobby I've actually stuck with through my whole life without gaps (I took many years off from model building while I was busy getting married and having kids).

I used to be big into home rehab/remodeling. "This Old House" sort of stuff.. tearing out walls, building decks, remodeling kitchens, etc. I was a real DIY guy. Moved walls in my house, finished the basement, totally gutted and redid my brother's kitchen, built decks, replaced toilets and tubs, tiled walls and floors, ran wiring, etc., etc. But now that sort of hard labor-type thing doesn't appeal to me anymore like it used to 20 years ago, so I've "retired" from that hobby. But it was fun while I was doing it.

In college I was totally into high-end stereo equipment. I still have the system I put together then. Man, I used to spend a lot of money on stereo components.

Rocketery. These days I focus on High power rockets and electronic deployment.

It is fun to build something, then see it fly.  The only drawback is being dependent upon the weather.

I could probably consider Home Theatre a hobby, I have had a stable rig for years but I enjoy using my gear to watch a movie, as well as building Gaming PCs, but I am not very good at computer games, so  will only upgrade every 6 or 7 years.  And in the summer time Car detailing becomes something of a hobby as well.

Plastic modeling, be it Cars, Planes, Armor or ships is my main hobby and has been since I was a kid. 

Another hobby I would love to participate in... woodworking.

In college I majored in Product Design, and we had to build prototypes of the stuff we designed, so to that end we had a fully-equipped woodworking shop on campus. I spent a lot of time in that shop, not only building full-scale prototypes of things I had designed for class, but stuff I built just for myself. I loved the smell of sawdust!

Case in point... like I posted previously, I was huge into super high-end audio gear back then. I read "Stereo Review" religiously. I bought the best of the best... amps, pre-amps, tuners, turntables, cartridges, etc. Spent a fortune on that stuff.

Sooo... after I had assembled my "dream team" of audio components, I needed a way to put everything together. So I built my own custom audio tower/rack. On top, the amp, preamp, and tuner... in the middle the turntable, and below that, record storage behind black plex doors. The case was walnut, the whole thing stands about six feet tall. When I finished building it, I realized I had no way to get the darn thing home! Luckily, the guy who was in charge of the shop offered to lend me his truck so that I could bring that monster home.

Yes, I still have that system. B)

And that's when I fell in love with woodworking. But to equip a functional woodworking shop with all the needed tools would cost a fortune. Never mind the fact that I have no space to create a woodworking shop. So I can only remember the "good old days" when I had access to a well-equipped woodworking shop. Sure wish I could do that now, but there's no way. :(

My boss does woodworking as a hobby. He has built some amazing things. He has an entire 2-car garage full of tools and says he needs more. I did actually enjoy building (the very simple) workbench I intend to use for modeling. Wife likes it too and now I get to build one for her crafting.

I like to shoot guns, never had a desire to be a gunsmith though. I collected Ruger revolvers in the 90's had a few NIB models from the 60's and several consecutive serial number guns. Sold them all in the early 2000's. That was one hobby I actually made money on when I got out.

Wasn't much into home audio, but I did have several car systems that were worth more than the vehicles they were installed in.

I would love to go after my pilots license, but the wife says no way. Her retirement plans include me and she says I am too accident prone. She may have a point.

I do woodworking, snowshoeing and cycling. I along with another codger look after the snowshoe trail network . We cut deadfalls, clear brush, tramp the trails etc. I've had old cars since about 1981. Currently own a 67 mustang GTA convertible and a 1934 Chevrolet 5 window coupe, both of which have a thread here.

Another hobby I would love to participate in... woodworking.

And that's when I fell in love with woodworking. But to equip a functional woodworking shop with all the needed tools would cost a fortune. Never mind the fact that I have no space to create a woodworking shop. So I can only remember the "good old days" when I had access to a well-equipped woodworking shop. Sure wish I could do that now, but there's no way. :(

As a professional woodworker, I have $50,000 in tools and machinery, and a large shop. But that is mainly because I have to be able to turn out large quantity, quickly, while still maintaining quality. On the other hand, up until the mid 19th century, most woodworking was done by hand. Your models show that you already have the skills to do hand woodworking, you would simply be working on a larger scale. So if you really have a passion for it, you could get all the tools you need for less than the cost of a Pocher kit (;)), and you wouldn't need a huge space. It does take longer and might fall into your "hard labor" category though. With your art background, you might enjoy marquetry, very little cost or space required.

My other hobbies are playing guitar (poorly), woodcarving, marquetry, canoeing, and restoring old machinery. My pride and joy is a 1929 mortiser, all cast iron, big as a refrigerator, weighs 1/2 ton, and works better than anything you could buy new for any price.

I've built a couple of R/C aircraft, grow my own vegetables, and enjoy shooting off a few rounds from time to time.

Oh let me toss in Cooking also. I like to use flavors from Asia and S.E. Asia. Heck I've got a Dwarf Kaffir Lime Tree that "lives" next to an East Window during the Winter and get's moved to the East Porch when the Freezing Temps have passed. I'm growing Thai Chilis and Basil also. And once I get my Rain Recovery system back up and running I'll be looking into getting a couple of Szechuan Peppercorn Trees so I can grow my own Peppercorns. Ok so add Gardening:blink::D

I play bass guitar, and a little bit of six string guitar.  I also used to do home recording (multitracking and synth programming), but I haven't done any in quite some time, my rig has not been set up for a few years.  I've done some covers, some remixes and some original songs of my own creation, plus sound design for small stage productions.

My skills on the six-string are not professional-level by any means, but I've pulled off some interesting stuff in the tracks I've recorded.  I'm proud of what I've managed as a self taught musician.

I've tried my hand at writing fiction, and got really into it for a while, but never truly went anywhere with it.

I used to be a big video-gamer, but it generally doesn't do too much for me anymore.  That being said, I did recently enjoy playing Gran Turismo 5.

I love reading, if that can be considered a hobby.  I've also recently rediscovered the joys of comics, thanks to finding a few graphic novels on Amazon at cheap prices.

You guys have good hobbies, I enjoy reading this stuff.

I love woodworking too.  Lots of decent cabinets, shelving and other things in my house and of course in the basement.  Wood is cool.

Restoring old Olympic Match air rifles.  The 10 Meter scene is really big in Europe, I have several flawless gems from the 60's and I like the smell of oiled blue steel and hand oil rubbed beautifully grained exotic wood.

Vespas.  My current one is a hopped up and nasty little silver devil that gets off the red light so quick the cars have to burn rubber to do better, mine does wheelies when I get on it hard.  A thrill to ride in the city and I can park downtown on the sidewalk too!  Read lots of fun.

Wine from where it's grown, and Italian food, the real Italian food.

So if you really have a passion for it, you could get all the tools you need for less than the cost of a Pocher kit (;)), and you wouldn't need a huge space. It does take longer and might fall into your "hard labor" category though. With your art background, you might enjoy marquetry, very little cost or space required.

When I talk about woodworking, I don't mean hand tools and carving and such. Marquetry is cool, but my real dream is to build (and sell, of course) custom designed furniture. So yeah, I would need a full-blown "production" shop... table saw, planer, drill press/milling machine, lathe, etc., etc. Mucho big bucks. And like I said, I have no actual physical place to set up such a shop, even if I could afford the tools. So woodworking (as I would want to pursue it) is pretty much a pipe dream.

That's why I had such a blast in college, working in our production shop. I got to use tools that I could never afford to own, in a space that I don't have.

my real dream is to build (and sell, of course) custom designed furniture. So yeah, I would need a full-blown "production" shop

Now I understand. I was thinking you want to make things for your own use. As far as making custom furniture goes, that is part of what I do, and I must say "Be careful what you wish for". It is a tough way to make a living.:)