Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Hobbies

Xingu

I collect old "cowboy era" pistols and rifles although I never shoot any.

well that're yours to do with as you please, but if they're in Shooting condition those Old Black Powder Firearms are a load of Fun to shoot and reload for.

Cooking, doing more and more of that, gardening, the fresh veggies are great, I have 2 55 Chevies, one almost done, needs interior completed, the other is ready for assembly and paint, model narrow gauge trains, reading, hoarding, I mean collecting model cars, when the count went over 5000 I quit counting and last of all enjoying the grands. and I wonder why I never seem to get anything done.  : )

I restore and repair vintage fountain pens...you can see them in my website, timsvintagepens.com .   It's a nice counter to modeling, uses many of the same tools and skills but the result is more to an established result than a story I create and make real in a model.

Tim

For me, the guitar is my big hobby. I've played the guitar for almost 30 years now. I still jam with the guys from the band I had in high school. I also rebuild/restomod guitars. 

I also enjoy camping and the associated hiking and mountain biking that go with it.

And I'm a voracious reader. 

WP_20160206_022.jpg

I am a huge car enthusiast and have been racing cars since 2006 - and pretty much been drifting (on track) at grassroots level (no pro stuff yet) since 2009. I'm currently building a new drift car, but here are some pics of my previous car.

Please keep in mind these are supposed to be flashy fun cars. This is a 93 Miata with a somewhat built 1.6 motor around 280 wheel horsepower (so around 330-ish horsepower at the crank):

The reason my hood and front bumper were off is because I was overheating (pretty badly) - check the 3rd picture for the result of overheating hahaha

IMG_4552.thumb.JPG.98872be32646e77bc157e

IMG_4550.thumb.JPG.4be2e48c4b56f4f18756c

And here's one for giggles - the overheating led to the "cooldown lap"...when I blew my engine:

IMG_4551.thumb.JPG.fd1ca6fee3210249548e4

Aside from model building, I do a lot of gun-smithing and shooting...I compete in IDPA tournaments and do a lot of general defensive pistol training. I've build a number of 1911 pistols and AR-10/15 rifles, and a completely custom Glock 17...that one actually turned out to be pretty lucrative for me, because I took it to a tournament and was offered almost 1k more than it took for me to build it...I gladly sold it! I've been slowing working on a '73 Buick Apollo that I'm basically teaching myself to rebuild from the ground up...body work, mechanics, windshield installation, I'm learning to do it all, partially because I just want to and partially because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do something I can learn to do. So far I've stripped one side down to sheet metal, fixed a few dings, primed that side, replaced every bushing on the thing, tons of random other things, and completely rebuilt an sbc350 for it using good 'ol YouTube and forums, and it's now got about 12k miles on it without any issues. I've got some quarter skins I need to install as soon as I set aside some time to work on my welding skills (I've got a junker parts car that I use for practicing...that way I make my mistakes on that one and hopefully not the one I drive). I volunteer at a local animal shelter and a very small local veterinary clinic, usually walking the animals or just giving them a little kindness in their lives, but I've also been able to successfully help re-home a few.  Although I'm not into video games myself, I build, upgrade and repair quite a few gaming computers for random people...a few of my friends are heavy into LAN parties and stuff, and they throw a fair amount of business my way...I probably average about 1 a month. I've always had fun building computers (it's a nice break from my normal day-to-day network administration duties), so that covers the "hobby" portion, but it's also nice to make a little extra cash on the side that I can throw at my expensive hobbies!

Edited by MrBuick

Do you do it casually, or you a "birder" and keep a log of which birds you've seen and where? Do you take photos of them?

Harry, when I lived in Washington state I was transforming into a birder and logging them along with lots of photography.  Here in Montana where I am at the birds are few and far between as they have better sense to travel through this desolate place.

Harry, when I lived in Washington state I was transforming into a birder and logging them along with lots of photography.  Here in Montana where I am at the birds are few and far between as they have better sense to travel through this desolate place.

This just made me laugh!

Geez, I don't think Montana is desolate. In fact, it's one of the places I would consider retiring to. Fresh air, mountains, no tornadoes, no hurricanes. Seems to me to be a nice place to be... B)

Montana is a beautiful state in certain areas, where I am at not so. This part is one area that was not meant to be inhabited.  Even the dinosaurs died off from lack of greenery to eat or water to drink. ;) That should of been the first warning.  The well went dry for the ranch I worked for last summer, they had to drill to a depth just shy of 2000 ft to hit water. Where I am our well went dry in February, we have had to haul water and it is not drinkable.  Harry there might not be any hurricanes but the wind blows here( my area)  all the time. Usually straight down from Canada and frigid.

I have many hobbies that I devote my time to. I am a life long gun collector, (I own a gun shop as my business), and have MANY guns of all types, 4 huge safes full. I shoot a lot, and enjoy all types of shooting from paper punching with a .22 to blowing watermelons away with my many machine guns. I love to ride my Harley when weather permits, in New England it ain't always permitting , if you know what I mean! I used to work on cars until the hobby developed into a business that was all consuming with 8 employees. Closed the shop, sold all the cars off except for my 91 Mustang 5.0 GT and a 46 Chevy truck, that maybe SOMEDAY will be put back together! I enjoy the 5.0 as much as time allows. I am an active deer hunter and hunt Vermont, Massachusetts, Kentucky and Missouri, with gun and crossbow. Of course, I build models, but not just cars and trucks, but also ANYTHING plastic, armor, planes, ships............anything. At one time I had over 4000 kits, but finally had to find sanity when I ran out of room and then moved, so the "stash" is down to about 300 now. I am a voracious reader, and read almost ANYTHING. I collect die cast equipment such as First Gear 1/25th scale. I love spending time with my three Labradors. And last but certainly not least, I LOVE spending time with my family and my grandson, soon to have a new sister!

Like said there are some very pretty areas in Montana but imo you want to be further west, closer to the mountains or on the other side. Google the areas around Flat Head Lake and on west that's probably more what you guys have a vision of ( Elmo is actually the area I would like to retire) but the whole state can get really cold. I was there one time with my dad and they wouldn't load the truck becuase the seed potatoes were freezing and shattering in the 5' from belt to truck. I believe that was out of Great Falls.

Rich

My other hobbies are my 1980 Olds Cutlass, kart racing and traditional woodworking. I'm a carpenter by trade and and own just about every portable power tool ever invented plus a few stationary tools. So I decided quite a while back that I needed to learn how it was done before power tools. And I was shocked to find that the work wasn't a whole lot harder. Many projects are easier with hand tools. It is a very rewarding feeling to make a project using no power tools of any kind. This led me to start using hand saws, chisels and hand planes more often in my daily work. 

My son started racing karts on dirt ovals when he was 8 and is now 19. We have had a lot of fun over the years hanging out together at the tracks. He's off at collage now so that hobby is on hold.

Automotive mechanics. Ever since I was a little tyke i've been fascinated with cars. Currently building a 85 S-10 truck2015-05-31_13.45.49.thumb.jpg.820b096076 

4-16-16.thumb.jpg.80e014d86e76a593996b31

I like your white Suburban in the background too...

What are you planning on doing with the S10? Restoring back to original or hot rodding it?

Montana is a beautiful state in certain areas, where I am at not so. This part is one area that was not meant to be inhabited.  Even the dinosaurs died off from lack of greenery to eat or water to drink. ;) That should of been the first warning.  The well went dry for the ranch I worked for last summer, they had to drill to a depth just shy of 2000 ft to hit water. Where I am our well went dry in February, we have had to haul water and it is not drinkable.  Harry there might not be any hurricanes but the wind blows here( my area)  all the time. Usually straight down from Canada and frigid.

P4083305.jpg

Sean that does look barren. Are you there for work??

Drawing . Ever since I could hold a pen in my hands (so , 40+ years) . Here's an anecdote ; when I was in Pre-School (ages 3-5) I was drawing and painting in-perspective already . I couldn't figure as to why every-one was making such a big deal out of my drawings and paintings !

Writing . I've always done Creative Writing , but ever since reading Burroughs and Iceberg Slim , I decided to take a plunge into writing . My novella's working title is Dans les Coleurs du Blanc et Noir .5719b586dcc2c_casketbelldrawing.thumb.jp5719b5ac76afa_doorwayshot07oct2015.thumbrawPower.thumb.jpg.4294140f80d1fe4ace088

Like Harry I'm also a stamp collector.  I love researching postal history and how the mails were moved in the 1800s and early 1900s. It's fascinating and innovative how they moved mail as quickly or quicker than they do today!    I like holding history in my hands, knowing where it was and the significance.

my zep

Here's a piece of mail that was carried on the Graf Zeppelin in 1930. Just oozing with significance and history!

my other hobby is guitars. been playing about 30 years and still get together with the old band as often as I can . I also like to repair and mod guitars.

the best is the time I spend with my eight year old granddaughter who will soon have a little sister to play with .