Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Hobbies

Xingu

Outside of models, I am into photography and electronics.  Of course, I don't really do enough of any of them.  As my father says, I am the "Master of unfinished projects".  However, I do have a photo blog if anyone is bored enough to take a look.  A lot of the pictures were taken with my good friend.  We try to get together a couple times a year to do some photo stuff.  Our next outing is planned for July to take in the Redbull Global Rallycross race that is being held in Washington DC.  Here is a link to my blog:

http://www.keithjacksonphotoblog.blogspot.com/

I collect toys and replicas of the Colt 1911 and Walther P.38. Here's most of my P.38 collection. One is real, one is solid metal, two are nonfiring replicas, and so forth. Someday I'll have to get the 1911s together and photograph them.

Snake, I'd be interested is seeing a pic of your 1911 Collection.

Will have to see if I can round them all up sometime soon. Lessee, I have a CO2 .177 pellet gun (working), a Topper Johnny Eagle Lieutenant (spendy on eBay these days), two MACOs, one black, one white (!) (I had a bright green one as a kid, long gone now), I think a rubber dart gun, and a water pistol with an actual detachable magazine. One of the coolest is a water pistol replica of a custom combat Commander, with custom grips, enlarged safety, and combat sights. Whoever designed THAT toy was obviously a gun enthusiast. Might have a couple other 1911 squirt guns, too--will have to dig all those out.

Snake, I'd be interested is seeing a pic of your 1911 Collection.

Okay, you talked me into it. I don't think this is all of them, but it's at least most of the cooler ones. Pic includes two REAL 1911s, the CO2 .177 pellet gun, the Johnny Eagle Lieutenant, three squirt guns, one that shoots plastic darts, and the two MACOs, which shoot a little plastic or wood pellet (about 10 feet, IIRC).

The two real guns were hobby projects in themselves. A local holstermaker retired a few years ago and he gave me a good deal on all his molding forms--some solid plastic, some solid metal, and some welded-up real guns. It took about 20 hours of work each but I carefully ground the welds off a genuine 1926 Colt 1911A1 and a LW Commander and replaced the welded-up barrels and "top halves" (and some other things, as needed) with "new" parts. Brought them back to life, as it were.

Toy1911s04_zpsmwcaiami.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Okay, you talked me into it. I don't think this is all of them, but it's at least most of the cooler ones. Pic includes two REAL 1911s, the CO2 .177 pellet gun, the Johnny Eagle Lieutenant, three squirt guns, one that shoots plastic darts, and the two MACOs, which shoot a little plastic or wood pellet (about 10 feet, IIRC).

Anything from Pyro?  They were more a toy and toy guy / ray gun manufacturer than a model maker.

Anything from Pyro?  They were more a toy and toy guy / ray gun manufacturer than a model maker.

Only guns from Pyro I ever knew about were the 1:1 scale model kits of some real old-timey stuff. The only thing in that line that was ever of ANY interest to me was the 1973 Colt SAA (about the newest/latest thing in that line, too).

They didn't do toy guns under the Parker name, did they? Parker Plastics (of New Jersey IIRC) pretty much owned the squirt gun bidness in the '60s. I had several of them myself.

The "big guns" in toy guns when I was a kid were Mattel, Marx, and Topper.

Somebody once did 1:1 scale models of the 1911 and Luger. I believe the 1911 molds went to MACO, who sold assembled guns made from them, like the two shown in my pic (the black and white pair). I have no idea what became of the Luger molds but I remember seeing one on the model shelf of a drugstore about 1964. I would have bought it but the box was open and I was afraid that some vital small part would be missing. I bought one of the 1911s off eBay a decade ago and still have it. Would have built it but the frame is heat-warped in one place, so the boxed kit is just a cool old conversation piece.

Snake, if you don't mind, I have a quick question........... My old man used to have a .22 rifle made by the Daisy pellet gun company. It had a synthetic stock, and was bolt- action.....

How hard would it be to locate another one? It's the first and only .22 I've seen that was made by Daisy............

Snake, if you don't mind, I have a quick question........... My old man used to have a .22 rifle made by the Daisy pellet gun company. It had a synthetic stock, and was bolt- action.....

How hard would it be to locate another one? It's the first and only .22 I've seen that was made by Daisy............

I've never seen one. I do remember reading about them in old gun magazines. I know they tried to introduce a caseless .22 ammo in a rifle like that (which flopped commercially), but don't think I knew they also did them as regular .22 rifles.

I have no idea how hard it would be to find one today or what one might cost. I know there are a lot of Daisy collectors so demand/price might be high. On the other hand, there's little shooter interest in them so price might be reasonable. You could go on one of the gun auction sites like Gunbroker or AuctionArms and see if you can find what they're selling for. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The rifle you may be thinking of is the Model 2201 Legacy. It was a bolt action single shot .22 not to be confused with their line of rifles that were VL models. There is one on Guns America right now for 170.00. I could not get  link to work but a search on that site will take you to that auction.

Here's a history of Pyro, the name Parker isn't mentioned but I wouldn't rule it out.  I couldn't find a reference to Parker anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyro_Plastics_Corporation

Read the above history, it's pretty interesting  

Interesting. I never owned, saw, or heard of any toy guns by Pyro when I was a kid ('60s). As I said, nearly all I ever knew of were made by Mattel, Marx, or Topper. Remco and Ideal also did a few but I never took those seriously.  I had a Thompson submachine gun made by MACO, who also made the white and black DA 1911s in my pic above. As a kid, I had one of these molded in a bright jungle green and the maker's name was PLACO, but it was the same gun. Been looking for another like it on eBay off and on for years.

• 2 years later...

Lots of talk of hobbies in other threads, but I'd sure like to see more PICS of other hobbies our members have. I remember some great homemade grills and smokers, woodworking, collections, etc.

I've been drifting over to art lamps, mostly in the steampunk style. I've two in the hopper I'd like to finish before I do another model. 

This one I finished earlier...

FrontLitAmbient-vi.jpg

This one is in the works. A ray gun lamp that started with this...

SconceLampHoriz-vi.jpg

Painted up like this...

PaintedLamp2-vi.jpg

...With conduit running to a lit "power box" like this...

BoxFinished_1-vi.jpg

...And sitting on a tower with a base that looks like this...

Brackets_Level1Done-vi.jpg

My other hobbies are pretty much car related as well. :P My main hobby is of course Drag Racing in Stock Eliminator class with our '74 Chevy Malibu. We've been doing this together with my dad since 2013 (I'm driving and we both work as mechanics, too). We have been able to get the car running pretty well now and last year I ran our first 11 second ET with that land barge.

DSCN2832.JPG?img=medium

IMG-20180429-WA0004.jpg?img=medium

IMG-20180429-WA0003.jpg?img=medium

Then of course building / restoring 1:1 scale American Cars, currently building a '62 Chevy II as a Gasser for myself. And also I guess listening to old Rock 'n' Roll and Rockabilly music would count as well. Have lots of records at home and I enjoy going to gigs as well.

8 hours ago, W-409 said:

My other hobbies are pretty much car related as well. :P My main hobby is of course Drag Racing in Stock Eliminator class with our '74 Chevy Malibu. We've been doing this together with my dad since 2013 (I'm driving and we both work as mechanics, too). We have been able to get the car running pretty well now and last year I ran our first 11 second ET with that land barge.

DSCN2832.JPG?img=medium

IMG-20180429-WA0004.jpg?img=medium

IMG-20180429-WA0003.jpg?img=medium

Then of course building / restoring 1:1 scale American Cars, currently building a '62 Chevy II as a Gasser for myself. And also I guess listening to old Rock 'n' Roll and Rockabilly music would count as well. Have lots of records at home and I enjoy going to gigs as well.

What motor are you running in the Malibu?A friend of mine is restoring a 75 Laguna,and he plans on dropping a big block in it.Also,I really do like your car.

Thanks! It's the 350 SBC from 1974 that is just bored .070 over. The Stock Eliminator rules limit very much what can be done to the engine, and because of that we're running with stock 882 heads on it (only valve job done, but stock runners, combustion chambers etc), stock cast iron intake and a Quadrajet. Cam lift has to be stock as well. There are bunch of other limitations, too, but that already gives an idea what can or can't be done.:P The minimum weight for that combo is 3757 lbs.