Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Hobbies

Xingu

Didn't you have a Vega?

Together with my dad we had a '79 Buick Skyhawk street car, which shares the same chassis as Vega. But when we bought the Malibu, we had to sell the Buick away to have some money in order to rebuild the Malibu. Vega would be a cool car, though!

Edited by W-409

I'm getting back to a hobby that I've done forever, but like model building, have gone through phases of not doing anything.  It's probably the main reason I haven't died from a heart attack.  Back in the day, I could do 20 miles without a problem, and could leap across rocks in a single bound.  A few times had done 50 miles, trail riding, not road bike on a paved road.  Favorite area is Moab, Utah, Slickrock Trail is mountain bike bucket list worthy.  One time I took the Incline up, and then rode up to see the Pikes Peak Hillclimb at Glen Cove, didn't have to get a ticket.  So despite not riding for awhile, yesterday was able to not die doing 12 miles, got a flat tire at 8 miles, so it was a death march back to the pickup.  Need to make up for sitting while working on models.

IMG_9077_Fotor.jpg

• 6 months later...

4.5 years ago (I was 13) I saved up enough money to purchase myself a vintage 1982 Suzuki Rm125 off of some hermit up in Timbuktu. The original hobby was to completely restore the thing. After restoring it to its former glory now was the time to beat the hell out of it. The current hobby is to keep the thing running and to stop yelling at it, yes I understand that it's a inanamate object, but I swear what bike only starts up if I drill Sargent it for an hour.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:21 AM, 89AKurt said:

I'm getting back to a hobby that I've done forever, but like model building, have gone through phases of not doing anything.  It's probably the main reason I haven't died from a heart attack.  Back in the day, I could do 20 miles without a problem, and could leap across rocks in a single bound.  A few times had done 50 miles, trail riding, not road bike on a paved road.  Favorite area is Moab, Utah, Slickrock Trail is mountain bike bucket list worthy.  One time I took the Incline up, and then rode up to see the Pikes Peak Hillclimb at Glen Cove, didn't have to get a ticket.  So despite not riding for awhile, yesterday was able to not die doing 12 miles, got a flat tire at 8 miles, so it was a death march back to the pickup.  Need to make up for sitting while working on models.

IMG_9077_Fotor.jpg

I would like to point out that Kurt is riding at 5500-6000' elevation. :D

CSXDASH3.JPG

O scale 3 rail model trains. Thhis is a custom painted GE Dash unit. Tamiya paint and my own decals. 

jav46-vi.jpg.46d951174bcbbc6468e82aba4efb7738.jpg

My vintage cars......66 Mustang, 73 Javelin, 46 Ford Super DeLux and a 74 Matador.  

crashtrk.jpg.dd2f1235b3355147753830a7c8e80d92.jpg

LEGO!! My son is a huge LEGO collector with a LEGO city filling his basement. I build something now and then to add to the city. This is my airport crash truck. Low stress fun!!! 

A few others too......

Edited by Dave Van

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

I would like to point out that Kurt is riding at 5500-6000' elevation. :D

LOL Appreciate you pointing that out!  But have to admit, a couple of years ago, wife and I hiked up Mt. Elbert in Colorado, I pooped out about 400' below the summit, she made it.  It's a Fourteener peak.

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

LOL Appreciate you pointing that out!  But have to admit, a couple of years ago, wife and I hiked up Mt. Elbert in Colorado, I pooped out about 400' below the summit, she made it.  It's a Fourteener peak.

I hiked up Thumb Butte a few times and it was a lung challenge for me in my late forties. Of course, my home base is 96 feet above sea level.

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Fun, I never hiked a Fourteener the decade + I lived in Colorado, but drove to the top of Pikes Peak a couple times (when it was dirt road) and drove up the road on Mt Evans a couple times.   Beautiful places. 

I've driven up Pikes Peak twice, one time I was driving a rental Ford Aerostar minivan that had AWD, with grandma, mom and dad, wife and daughters, took a turn with a little gas to see how it took the dirt corner, freaked everyone out. :rolleyes:  My dad laughed.  This picture is where I gave up on Mt. Elbert.

47 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I hiked up Thumb Butte a few times and it was a lung challenge for me in my late forties. Of course, my home base is 96 feet above sea level.

The short route, even though it's paved, is challenging, and some people run it!

IMG_5162_Fotor.jpg

3 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I've driven up Pikes Peak twice, one time I was driving a rental Ford Aerostar minivan that had AWD, with grandma, mom and dad, wife and daughters, took a turn with a little gas to see how it took the dirt corner, freaked everyone out. :rolleyes:  My dad laughed.  This picture is where I gave up on Mt. Elbert.

I took my Mustang GT up Pikes Peak in 1997...washboard dirt road...scary on the blind turns.   Later took my Jeep up it. 

Just now, Rob Hall said:

I took my Mustang GT up Pikes Peak in 1997...washboard dirt road...scary on the blind turns.   Later took my Jeep up it. 

I can imagine!  Back when Michelle Mouton won with the Peugeot rally car, I took my mountain bike up to Glen Cove.  I cheated and took the Incline, then rode the trail from there.  Got to the road just in time to see her and take a picture.  Riding back down, it hailed, that was fun.

A couple of my favor

4 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I can imagine!  Back when Michelle Mouton won with the Peugeot rally car, I took my mountain bike up to Glen Cove.  I cheated and took the Incline, then rode the trail from there.  Got to the road just in time to see her and take a picture.  Riding back down, it hailed, that was fun.

Way cool...  I do miss off the back country drives in my Jeep around the state...so many scenic paved and non-paved routes..

I have collected things all my life,from native American stone artifacts to toys including but not limited to:marbles,Cracker Jack prizes,wooden tops,skate keys,lead soldiers,50's era Archer spacemen,rockets,robots,promo model cars,license plates,miniature gas pumps and on and on. I am am avid reader having everything by Clive Cussler and all the Jack Reacher stuff,the bible,game of thrones(twice) plus coffee table books on motorcycles, antique cars,guitars,rock houses,etc.

I do 3D art work as well taking multiple copies of favorite images of antique cars and motorcycles and stacking up ever smaller parts of those images until the project is as many as 30 layers deep. I mentor kindergarten age kids at our local elementary school,and am involved in our Big Brother-Big sister lunch buddies program. I love to sing and am active in our local church choir(not good-just loud).Add in family and doing my best to help my wife of 55 years deal with her health issues including heart and COPD makes for a diverse use of whatever time I have left on this earth(I am 76).

11 minutes ago, cobraman said:

At the risk of looking like a sissy ?. I do PBN paintings between models for a change of pace . Something to do and I find it very relaxing . They take me between 75 and 80 hours of work to complete . 

80A9AF83-2BE1-4019-A209-E2FC975D8127.jpeg

299B968B-5652-4A32-8215-A5E5CB434CF4.jpeg

A283A1E5-9A09-4C16-B5EB-BE6982FE8F70.jpeg

Those look GREAT Ray!! My late father and me did one of the last supper. They are relaxing, and fun. Nothing Sissy about them. I love that second one ALOT.???

Model cars or RC cars..

Been far more busy with RC cars than models these past few years but keeping up with new models

I may want to build in the future.

A few more may or may not have been added since this pic.. ;)

group shot.jpg

Okay, one more..

Pic.

Dirt test.jpg

Okay..

One more.. WIP..

Windows are covered for painting..

Till I figure what I'm actually gonna do.

More weathered, less weathered. rusted..

worn paintish.jpg

Edited by RodneyBad

On 7/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, 89AKurt said:

You could rent a Jeep, trash theirs.  :lol:

Wow.   Your pic is at almost the same spot on the Engineer Pass road that I took when I walked it in 2016. Turn 90° to the east, and that was the direction I was walking at that time. When I'm not walking the Jeep roads in the Ouray area during my summer vacations, I'm hiring my SOA pals to drive me around on those in their 4x4s.

5d3151899e9b0_lowerEngineer2016.JPG.7af365902d649e75ca8cddea3911e126.JPG

5d31518f56ee2_lowerEngineer2016east.JPG.1536b0125fdaa751c14e70401fbc1968.JPG

3 minutes ago, Russell C said:

Wow.   Your pic is at almost the same spot on the Engineer Pass road that I took when I walked it in 2016. Turn 90° to the east, and that was the direction I was walking at that time. When I'm not walking the Jeep roads in the Ouray area during my summer vacations, I'm hiring my SOA pals to drive me around on those in their 4x4s.

5d3151899e9b0_lowerEngineer2016.JPG.7af365902d649e75ca8cddea3911e126.JPG

5d31518f56ee2_lowerEngineer2016east.JPG.1536b0125fdaa751c14e70401fbc1968.JPG

I'm jonesing to do this again!  Now that we have been in the same spot, let's see if you have been in Moab, Utah. :P  I've ridden the mountain bike on the famous Slickrock Trail several times, for any serious mountain bike rider, it should be #1 on the bucket list.  My mom enjoyed the Jeep ride, but after the second day she was done.
4023838075_a6fb3e3cb8_b.jpg
4024525454_ec37c9b47b_b.jpg
4036580396_55380350a8_b.jpg

This was last century, I had one of the first Rock Shox in town, and could sort to trials ride.
2649385217_d8890bdb90_z.jpg

4 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

...Now that we have been in the same spot, let's see if you have been in Moab, Utah. :P  ....

Ya got me beat on that wider ranging hobby. My summertime one-week-out-of-the-year hobby (all that I can afford) for the last 17 years is restricted to an area within the Ouray / Silverton / Telluride 'triangle.' The Black Bear Road still hasn't been cleared of winter snow & rockslide debris yet.

My other interests include 1/72 & 1/48 scale model aircraft,  1/35 scale tanks and military vehicles.

I love music and have always had a decent hi-fi separates system, although I no longer keep up with the latest tech stuff.  As well as classic rock and pop, I collect film scores/soundtracks and have a few hundred on cd.

I have a small collection of guitars, including a gold top 2001 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, a black 1998 Gibson SG Standard and a cherry red 2002 Gibson '61 Standard re-issue. 

My dream purchase would be a Mellotron M4000D keyboard, to get those great ethereal string/brass sounds of late 1960's and 70's psych and prog rock. I currently get my keyboard kicks with a Roland JD-Xi mini synth.