Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Hobbies

Xingu

Two years ago my wife and I purchased a 10 acre homestead in a south Idaho canyon. So far we've added three goats, one steer, 25 odd chickens, and a 24'x24' garden that is doing marvelously.

Building fencing, pens, coops and huts for the animals is really sucking up a LOT of time that would ordinarily be spent in the hobby room. I''ll take some better photos here soon. These are kinda old.

48322484731_b846896d45_z.jpg.1484b4119349fd544ad4e8c44baa7bf7.jpg47993737017_de6775b390_z.jpg.ac8604fe9d39a3d1a5aa96cfc87832b0.jpg

48322465711_de938f998d_z.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Two years ago my wife and I purchased a 10 acre homestead in a south Idaho canyon. So far we've added three goats, one steer, 25 odd chickens, and a 24'x24' garden that is doing marvelously.

Building fencing, pens, coops and huts for the animals is really sucking up a LOT of time that would ordinarily be spent in the hobby room. I''ll take some better photos here soon. These are kinda old.

48322484731_b846896d45_z.jpg.1484b4119349fd544ad4e8c44baa7bf7.jpg47993737017_de6775b390_z.jpg.ac8604fe9d39a3d1a5aa96cfc87832b0.jpg

48322465711_de938f998d_z.jpg

So just how odd are your chickens then?

9 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Love the wide open spaces.

Me too. That's my view walking out the front door.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

So just how odd are your chickens then?

Chickens are the most frustrating, backwards, moronic, messy creatures on this planet, and that's counting human children and goats! I'm not a fan, but my wife loves them. Every time we lose one to a hawk, (not often but occasionally) I'm inwardly rooting for the hawk. 

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Hell of a move from Tampa to the wilds of Idaho.  Miss seeing you and your builds at the local contests.

I know. It's still a little surreal now. I do miss the Tampa Bay contests and all the cool people. I have a great club here but fewer contests to be sure.

I have a couple other things that take my time and money besides the little I do scale modelling.

I have a few basic woodworking tools. Full size table saw, small drill press, band saw, two scroll saws, compound miter saw, router table and a few routers. There are a few other tools I'd like but...

I also collect airbrushes. I've been selling some off but still have about 25 of various brands. I was buying them just to have but I have since decided to only keep and collect uncommon, unusual, unique and vintage airbrushes. The rest will hopefully be going to new homes.

I had come across a quantity of walnut wood. I've started making boxes for the airbrushes I have that aren't in a box. It's a great way to combine these two hobbies.

I also have plans to someday getting the OSSA in my signature back to running condition. It seems that every time I have the cash to restart it's rebuild something else comes up. I am sure a lot here can commiserate with that.

Edited by DPNM

• 1 month later...

While going through some boxes of old stuff I haven't looked at for years I came across these old photos from an old hobby of mine.

A friend of mine and I designed and built this "Strega" for R.C. warbird racing. Didn't know I still had these photos.

Thats me standing in front of Strega at the first Phoenix 500 race.

DSC01314.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

It's pretty cool that anyone else here knows what Strega is! Thanks for sharing! B)

Thanx Snake. That Warbird that my friend Tom and I put together was one memorable project.

The motor was built buy a guy who held control line speed records. forgotten his name.( Brown?)

The plane was based on documentation drawings that where approved buy the class. 

Scale was sort of an "bastard scale" because it was based on wing area per. engine cubic inch.

We went for the minimum on an already clipped wing Mustang.

I designed and built the fuse and empennage and Tom had the task of building a truly fast wing as

well as full retractable landing gear. The livery was done buy a guy who photographed the REAL plane and

then produced dry transfers. Paint buy a good friend in Flagstaff Arizona.

There was a "tuned pipe" running down the middle of the fuse, all of the other competitors had them on

the outside at the time.. Because our planes where judged on SCALE before racing even started we had them beet even before the

first heat. Good times!

Oh, It was quick! Won many races.

I collect Hot Wheels. Not a very big collection, around 1000 or so cars. Constantly adding to it, 4 to 10 cars a month. 

I also do some photography. Nothing serious, just with my phone. But it takes some amazing pics.

I also love to BBQ. Low and slow. Baby backs, Tri-Tip, Pork Butt, Chuck Roasts, veggies.....

20190808_144244.jpg

20190908_153558.jpg

20190527_125158.jpg

20190815_161315.jpg

20190910_105717.jpg

20190904_171756.jpg

I had posted back a while ago that I am a stamp collector, so was Harry!   But my period of expertise is 1903-1908.  It was a very interesting time postally.  It was the first time mail vehicles were motorized.  And pneumatic tubes carried mail over the Brooklyn Bridge!  Junk mail was new and various automation was invented to speed up the processing. The mails actually traveled faster than today! And it's interesting to collect examples of all of this.

A friend of mine gave me some of the original postal manuals from the era, all scanned into PDF.  It's a time capsule of old ways and methods that I find fascinating.  Here's a bit:

LEAVE ON ACCOUNT OF SICKNESS FOR RAILWAY POSTAL CLERKS.

July 5, 1906.      Order No. 1080.     Modify Section 1419, Postal Laws and Regulations, edition of 1902, as follows:

After paragraph 2,. insert —

3. Leave of absence with pay for a period not exceeding thirty days In any fiscal year may be granted a clerk on account of sickness, as indicated by a physician's certificate, the clerk who is sick to furnish a suitable and competent substitute at his own expense to perform his duties during the time he is absent.

Imagine that flying today!  

I enjoy reading and collecting Stephen King First Edition novels. I have about 55 total, and everyone is in near fine to fine condition. The only two that are not first editions are the Carrie, and The Shining on the very top shelf. They are book club editions. As soon as I can afford true first editions of those two, (which will cost approximately between $2000 and $3000) the collection will be  complete enough for me. I generally enjoy “horror” in many forms. 

Also keeping my humidor filled with my favorite Honduran, Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Cuban cigars is another hobby Ive enjoyed for many years. 

D1989658-D19C-420E-8AA1-936CDA97BF77.jpeg

C8FA28B1-B2C3-486E-9FC2-236FFDF62B0A.jpeg

3B59B5CE-DB84-496F-B8F6-7331568EC689.jpeg

AFCF5352-C842-4136-A4E8-511D0BD12A3F.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of crazy, quirky hobbies that keep vying for my time and pulling me away from modelling.  I am a hoader collector of stamps, business cards, models?, and whatever else catches my eye.  I enjoy reading, mostly sci-fi and fantasy but I enjoy a good thriller or mystery as well.  I play guitar. I enjoy playing on my computer and just messing with technology in general.  I dabble in tabletop role-playing games.  I also like to relax by coloring and am addicted to Sudoku puzzles.