Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 charger , junker - fully detailed , placing real leafs on the body

crazyrichard

i could not part with the charger gasser build , but it was finished .. looking at my old charger i got the creeps .....

i build that a while back , less skills and when i still cut corners ... most of my rods (fords and all) already got some updates but that charger .. looks cool sitting on its wheels in the display cabinet .. but man it had issues ...

the underside ... i build it and when assembled came up with the idea to slam it .. seemed cool at the time but  that gave issues i cut the oil pan and even the gearbox after assembly to put it that low and then put the wheel in in a way hmm could have been better .. never build airbags or lines ...

also the wheels are quit large but the tyres are not wide at all .. skinny even .. so see from the bottom it looked horrible ...

now a charger on air .. nah stupid i want to change it and with keeping the paint build it touhger ... racy ... not perfect and not ratty a bit inbetween general mayhem and a showstopper ...

this was the result just after completing the build back then .. fon its tyres not real bad looking

fe471af4cddd8978d95419b9309a7675.jpg

3e866e82331d109a58f29f0b32f1f56a.jpg

now all pics are lousy the clear on this is one that shows every toutch and every toutch leaves fingerprints , so now redoing it i have to hold it so pics how a fingerprinted and hazy paint

ripped off the exhaust maybe i will make sidepipe or cutouts ... the oilpan and gearbox carnage lol >

1512455af9f9ab5e9644d34ff6b3b2fc.jpg

closed the oilpan and grearbox with styrene , kept the pan thin so i can still go low in the front (not real low) and add stuff and have it looking drivable , painted it all red again , oil filter white , drieshaft in metal coat and redid the black on the chassis , all by hand while it was together

59dc7177e3ec5fde58d1a3c6dd859593.jpg

b34e59d3d8caaa89f4fcfa847709b3c7.jpg

a913cf8c3ffb23dc399ef0b2139c5dde.jpg

the fingerprinted body :)

7c76e7c1c2b18332ab33c3c1e29c31f6.jpg

504cf3012a4a57a22e9709565ac6cfbd.jpg

the engine didnt look horrible , maeb some toutch and add ons ups later

0671393c7098b321253289325701e064.jpg

choosen tyres , wide fat tyres , both in the front and back , bot of diameter difference .. just anice racy look , will sit way higher then it was .. a charger doesnt deserve to be slammes like i did before .. so now i need to redeam myself

a45602218f7bbfed482325ada1d78581.jpg

dc1212cbc7d3f31905a1fb7557904309.jpg

so far tats what i did ... to be continued ...:)

Edited by crazyrichard

yes i dont know what i was thinking back then .. seemd cool at the time ...

i want it to have some nice deep rims .. bit like the wide steelie style ...

some styling ideas on the look for the rims (general feel)

started with mazda steelies from a old roadster mazda .. cut a second set of rims and used those ring to create the front rims

rear rims will be even wider , used bbs rims for the rings

the full set

just sprayed them satin black , pic right after paint still wet , will dry up satin .. going for the black on black , will make it real sinister ...maybe even black out the grille / headlight surround ?? of try to make a custom panel there with visible headlights ?

thnx joe .. this wil not be a superlong or extensive build .. just want the undercarridge to make more sense and make it racy , brutal ... i'm thinking about making / masking off a design and then spray it on with matt black .. so its just visible .. not the black on it now is not a very deep gloss .. onl got one thin layer of clear back then .. so this gloss with a matt design would look awsome i think ..

also i'm thinking about a mild weathering , mainly make it look like its been blasting on dirt roads and it  tad dusty round the wheell wells ...

i'm even tempted to make it even more rough ...maybe a difefrent colored door ?? not sure yet ... could be cool ...maybe too much ?

anyway i needed to make the massive tyres run free , i made the leafspring a tad more narrow on a point where it doesnt really show there the tyre sits .. and then spread the body panel behind the rear tyre ... on the lower prt of the rear quarter panel .

put small strips in between the panel and chassis bringing the panel out some more and that gave me the room to run the tyres free without hacking up the body ..

700008c231115073ae226fba40e915a9.jpg

the rims finished , need chrome lug nuts .. but they look great i'm so happy with the outcome

5e3d3253c3534791156f5a22620bfacf.jpg

24452d07859e53110a095b90b422d49b.jpg

its resting on the tyres so it will it a tiny bit higher lter on .. but man this is the look i wanted , a sinister racy charger

4fb8669784682226c8d12fba4cd946fd.jpg

when i spread the quarters it also came out at theback where i worked the rear bumper into the body .. not a probem its going to be a tiny bit rough overall and dirty there :)

74e670cf1f8f2f179b40f75bfb42f8be.jpg

1d41695bbd0ffba6d98210b8f40a8010.jpg

1a1c48aab642c3f73373df670dfdc6c1.jpg

8b29a5390055e98645f6092439752734.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

i understand willie and you are right i already was aware of the issue i just wanted to close it  , i need to be sure i have the final tyres and then i can see how i will sit hight wise with wheels and suspension ..then look at adding a new pan .. i have several oil pans but in a way i was running into problems hight wise , these are just pieces of styrene on there .. i already cut one oil pan in half because part of the stock pan is on the engine with the new styrene on top ...so if i peel that off i can glue on a part pan out of the parts box and then paint it ...

my way of building is a bit like i start and see where i end up and usually i change stuff several times along the way .. first need to get some general idea's..

look at my gasser charger build.. that took some while and i changed around on things a few times ..

and no worry's you can say stuff like that :) and i also strive for realism so in that way .. i feel you ... 

so maybe i will try to peel of the whole pan , also the part with the bolts that was still on .. and fit a whole pan .. or make something custom , wider then now and a tad higher .. will need to be a mix between ride hight and ... you know ? :)

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys atm i have several suspension parts on the bench , oil pans  , i will have to create something custom ..since i dont have the kit supension ..would be easyer to start from the ground up .. but this one is glued so tight i will leave it , make something decent from it ... then after that start a more extensive build

thnx .. well i already tackled the oil pan :)

just altered a pan with a notch and closed it ....

going to use this suspension it from a oldskool nissan z ... will be altered and fit to the charger , already cut of ome parts .. just needed something that would fit and with this i can build up some cutom suspension and it fit in the idea to revamp this one without making it a massive build ..

after a while i could dryfit the front wheels with part of the suspension so at the front it sits on the supension and the ride hight is set .. i could go a tad higher still but i kind of like it .. on the rear the body jut sits on the tyre that will be rised and the car will get a mild rake

painted the pan red , the front and rear chassis where painted high gloss black , to bad it doesnt really show on the pics .. but it a nice contrst between the gloss and more matt black on the floor

thnx ..

here is part of the new suspension in black >

found some schocks that will work .. i want to remake the bars to the chassis that the charger originally has ... the bushings on the rims (orange) i need to change that later , for now it works dryfitting .. i could widen the suspension bracket .. we will see

could be cool je .. i could try something .. i think i have some small caps .. i think i like it better the way it is now .. but i will def. try..

and you are sharp on the lug nuts hahahaha

just got a great idea how to change the orange bushes on the wheels and so i can keep them and not widen the bars .. i have 2 brake discs that fit inside the wheel , without the edge sticking out they fit over the bushes ... making them a part of the brake disc assebly .. i found a wat to hide them .. when i will actually make it and its done i'll post pics to explain what i mean .. bit tired now so i wont be building ...then it always go's wrong lol

I'd put some Dodge dogdish hubcaps over the wheels. That would look killer. it would also cover up the 4 lug wheel centers.

thnx for the idea .. you rock turns out that looks spot on ...see below :)

Nice work on that suspension Rich. Stance is killer. Wow!

thnx .. rear will be raised slightly then its perfect i think :)

an those hubcaps just brought it to life man sooo cool and what a difference , really looks musscle car now !

main susupension is mounted inside wheels and bushes black , now i need to alter and partially make brake discs will get so much more detail underneith .. going to run fuell lines , brake lines and i have much better material now then when i did the charger gasser .. thin brass rods .. perfect size