Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 charger , junker - fully detailed , placing real leafs on the body

crazyrichard

started work on the grille / headlights .. made one side so it has visibe lights , like way back the cover never went down and is broken ..

put the hood on with torn heat reflective stuff under there ..painted the grille and lights ....lenses look white i glued them with micro klear and that still needs to turn clear .... top of the grille assembly got a rusted edge because it should be part of the cros member .. only thing is i have a seam but it looks way better already

hood painted .. bit different patern with some white showing needs some washes still

thnx david !!

i changed it slightly .. cut out the assembly with both lights and put that further back how it should it .. creates nice depth also ..

i still need todo some work on the trim with new chrome

also worked the seem on top with supergue and pigment .. to make that more one piece

accidental pics with a smudge on the lense from my fingerprint .. actually look cool

the micro krystl clear would not go clear , first time that happened so i had to take out the lenses , clean it all up , redo the black and chrome om the bezels and now i glued them in with clear velpon glue  , looks way better

made a cut of coolwater hose from real rubber mantle (earphone stuff) and a hose clamp

weathered taillight and weathered black insert

vieuw of the steering wheel

the scuffed up inulation under the hood

!!!!!!!>>>>>

now i need help .. te roof is rusted because i want to make a peeled of vinyl roof with rusted metal under there .. i can not find any pictures on how it looks when the moldings below are off , like the rear pillar chrome moldings .. are there mount holes in the pillar ?? and if so how many ???

i want to drill those holes if they are there .. i figure they will be there but not sure and google came up with nothing

Richard I have gone through lots of clips on the net of Charger Barn finds that have the vinyl roof and clips of WIP's . Doing freeze frame their are one or two clips that show where the trim clips have rusted streaks. Showing where the holes are.  I believe that their are holes along the lower trim of the B pillar . I think that there may be at least 10 from the rear side window to the tip of the pillar where it meets the trunk. Then it comes forward to the rear glass. So then there would be holes on the inside as well possibly 5 .  I hope this helps I can not be 100% sure if this is correct or not as you said their is not much info to go on. 

;)

Richard I have gone through lots of clips on the net of Charger Barn finds that have the vinyl roof and clips of WIP's . Doing freeze frame their are one or two clips that show where the trim clips have rusted streaks. Showing where the holes are.  I believe that their are holes along the lower trim of the B pillar . I think that there may be at least 10 from the rear side window to the tip of the pillar where it meets the trunk. Then it comes forward to the rear glass. So then there would be holes on the inside as well possibly 5 .  I hope this helps I can not be 100% sure if this is correct or not as you said their is not much info to go on. 

;)

thnx ! yes its hard to find a picture with the roof bare and showing the holes of the trim ..i just need to see it ounce then i will have a idea .. i will put some time in to search on google i'm sure somewhere out there is a pic of this

Amazing work here!

thnx !!

Just jumped in on this one Rich. I've never thought of doing anything like this but I do like the work your doing on it. More please...........

thnx !!

!!!!!!!>>>>>

now i need help .. te roof is rusted because i want to make a peeled of vinyl roof with rusted metal under there .. i can not find any pictures on how it looks when the moldings below are off , like the rear pillar chrome moldings .. are there mount holes in the pillar ?? and if so how many ???

i want to drill those holes if they are there .. i figure they will be there but not sure and google came up with nothing

Don't know if this helps but here is some pictures of my Plymouth Valiant from when I did a resto-mod on it back when I was in high school.  It had a vinyl top that was rotted when I got the car and this is what it looked like.  Might help with some ideas and textures.  One thing to note is original factory vinyl roofs (on Mopar's at least) have two seams running over the top near the edges aprox. 5-6 inches up from the drip rail.  After market tops have one seam in the middle.

They like to rust in the middle and down those two seems, notice the old contact adhesive.  Hope this helps

3264096_orig.jpg

I thought I had closer pictures, but the chrome molding on the rear pillar is held in by a few clips 3 on my Valiant and I think similar on the Charger (and other cars) so 3-6 tiny holes are all you need to sell the idea that trim WAS there.

2362494_orig.jpg

And if anyone cares here is where you can see what my real car looks like after I finished it.  http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/my-first-car.html

Edited by thejunkman

I'll have to see if I can find pictures of my old '74 Plymouth Scamp. It had flaps of vinyl hanging off the roof. It was pretty well tore up. I remember standing on the car pulling on the vinyl to peel it off the roof. lol

Don't know if this helps but here is some pictures of my Plymouth Valiant from when I did a resto-mod on it back when I was in high school.  It had a vinyl top that was rotted when I got the car and this is what it looked like.  Might help with some ideas and textures.  One thing to note is original factory vinyl roofs (on Mopar's at least) have two seams running over the top near the edges aprox. 5-6 inches up from the drip rail.  After market tops have one seam in the middle.

They like to rust in the middle and down those two seems, notice the old contact adhesive.  Hope this helps

3264096_orig.jpg

I thought I had closer pictures, but the chrome molding on the rear pillar is held in by a few clips 3 on my Valiant and I think similar on the Charger (and other cars) so 3-6 tiny holes are all you need to sell the idea that trim WAS there.

2362494_orig.jpg

And if anyone cares here is where you can see what my real car looks like after I finished it.  http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/my-first-car.html

thnx a lot and yes i found the roof and the 2 seems , also found charger pic where the whole roof was clean off and rusted all over with some adheive and black gue .. but never the rer pillar and where the hole need to be  ..

Did you start with the Duke's Charger?

no this is just the charger r/t kit from revell , the one with the box that opens on the sides

amazing work Richard love it

thnx john !!

I'll have to see if I can find pictures of my old '74 Plymouth Scamp. It had flaps of vinyl hanging off the roof. It was pretty well tore up. I remember standing on the car pulling on the vinyl to peel it off the roof. lol

thnx and ye like that i found ome pics like that , thats my plan to do the inyl and then make it torn and scuffed and weathered with some small spots showing the rust underneith ..again i need to know how many holes for the molding there are in the rear pillar .. but i have no had time to search extensive .. so ..

so i made 3 holes on eitch side of the rear pillar where the moldings should sit .. saw 2 charger with 3 holes ....also made the roof and pillars a lighter rust color ..

irl rusted charger roof are more dark red-ish rusted .. i did the complete roof in that tone with paint and powder .. that actually became one with the orange .. like you did not see a whole lot of difference between those .. irl with good light you see difference  but the darker it gets the more they blended together ..

so i tried a much lighter rust color and i like that much more .. it now looks more like patina paint and a rusted rood , also done from examples of real abandoned or junkyard chargers ..

I remember that van of yours and that was / is incredible!

thnx !

Amazing work! I've got a Daytona I'd like to rust out like this, but I lack the supplies and courage! This is definitely driving me closer though! Fantastic!

thnx ! i can tell you with some burnt sierra colored acrylic paint .. putting that on with a brush and tap the paint after brushing it on so you dont have stripes / brush marks .. and then sprinkle that wet paint with pigment powder(s) in rust color(s) you will go a long way ..

the rest is just trying out stuff , look at real rusted cars ....make some dents ...

tbh its just trying out .. and you can not ruin it .. something looks wrong ad more layers .. or scrape some off and re-aply .. after all its weathered ;)

one day joe .. you should , it just so much fun building the weathered vehicles .. both side gloss and weathered have their charms .. if i had to choose one .. really had to ..i would choose weathered just for the fun of building them ..but i also need to make something shiney from time to time :)

jut finetuned the rim and some other stuff with some acrylic and rustpowder .. will make some pic later