Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 charger , junker - fully detailed , placing real leafs on the body

crazyrichard

thnx Lloyd :)

test fit with the body steering wheel imo looks good weathering wise :)

from old christmass napkins ... jut cut to size and only thing i did was sand it with used sandpaper , making it rough and a tad dirty from the stuff on the sandpaper

test on the hood , slt is drying atm .. weird i buid a lot of weathered but this is the first time i actually try the saltmethod :) lol

the engine bay , with poped up hinges aand the engine in a base rust layer .. will get all the details later , just the base

those hinges are too thick so started sanding them thinner

a bit thinner and made holes for pin , cut out the fake spring and will add a real spring

base layer of rust

taped of the engine bay and roof and sprayed orange ... i hope it turns out nice .... we will seee

aircleaner top in black with a bit of flyrust

the decal all scuffed up

that top was placed on the fromt crossmember .. i opened up the inlet manifold and also made mount holes for the carb on the corners .. so it lookes more intereting and like part where ripped off (or bought lol)

outside pics

painted a distributer in silver and red , when thats dry it can be weathered

wipermotor on its place , needs weathering and i will make the holes with shaft sticking out where the wiper sit .. maybe do one wiper on one off

windows in need work already put some green in the seems

i will also make the firewall wiring and put it somewhere not connected ..

after some research decided to do the flower forming on the battery poles .... also made a bracket to hold the battery

window wiper motor got a first wash

the windshield .. nothing was really to my liking .. did 2 chips with cracks .. i the end cracked te whole window .. the wnted to dent it in a bot at the hole and heated it with a lighter . then magic happened .. the whole screen went like this and looked wat more realistic ... then dented it a tad

the right a pillar lookes weird that got heated and bend when i did the dent on the side ... looked weird so i straightened that again !

thx brandon !

i added wires to the battery and put a non connected wire beside it with real inner wire exposed

big doubt .. should i give the hood the same orange paint and put it on like this or leave it hoodless with the hinges sticking up ...??

few fun picss in my backyard

i just pulled the charger out of my river  :lol:

The hood would be neat if you could add tiny pins to the hinges that way you can display it with the hood up, or put the hood on the roof, or lean it against the car for display. And a shredded up vinyl top would be killer too!

Very nice. I've got a 70 Plymouth I used as a parts donor and I'm planning to do this with whats left of it... Thinking about trying the salt method on it. never done it before..Still confused a little about it..I also want to do the weathered vinyl top too..Still trying to figure that out too...

thnx guys !

The hood would be neat if you could add tiny pins to the hinges that way you can display it with the hood up, or put the hood on the roof, or lean it against the car for display. And a shredded up vinyl top would be killer too!

well thats what i tried , putting the hood on the roof and that looked cool as well .. i'm more of a make a decision and glue it together person , rather then making it removable .. for me on a weathered build its key to make it all one piece and after the last layers and pigments i dont have to hande it a lot anymore ..

putting the hood against the car looked weird its kind of tall ....  and yes def. want to do the shreddded vinyl top .. thats why i left the roof rust and didnt paint it like the sides .. it needs a lighter rone of rust on the roof to take the color away from the orange weathered paint , then i want to make a vinyl to and peel it off artially

Very nice. I've got a 70 Plymouth I used as a parts donor and I'm planning to do this with whats left of it... Thinking about trying the salt method on it. never done it before..Still confused a little about it..I also want to do the weathered vinyl top too..Still trying to figure that out too...

its a lot of fun , i also still have some incomplete kits / cars in boxes so i'm thinking of doing a bunch of them ...just fun building these and going crazy .. and you can do this in all kind of stages , like still drivable to what i have a junker ripped for parts

Edited by crazyrichard

Just a thought but id put some dents in the body panels aswell. Patina looks awesome but a car that old and beat would moat likely have been banged up a bit too. But your build just a thought. Vety creative tho

thnx mack !

and if you ook back at pics there are quite a few dents in the body overall , passenger door has a massive dent , passenger side front wing has a dent , driersides wing has a dent on top of the wing , the rear wheel well is ll out of shape and dented in at the bottom , drivers side door has a dent ..ooh and the whle roof is dent in in 2 sot ... i just didnt want to overdo it some are small and 2 are bigger .

i figured if i would really bang it up like crazy it would be overkill ...and now it looks kind of restorable ...

i washed the rear window with a grey wash from lavado , this gave it a realistic look and lookss like a lot of pics i saw of weathered windows ...

now its hard to get on a picture it kind of light up too much .. like on thiss shot .. wierd look >

this shows it better but irl it looks better ...its got a stained look and is a tad see through ... it becomes real matte and make the windows look aged and dirty

then decided i liked this look more then the smashed window i found one window that fit but it was broken in two pieces .. so i just glued it in with the crack :)

then i got a cool idea and glued a for sale sign on the dash

so it just shows through the wash , atm i gave the window a second wash (looks better after 2 layers) and then rubbed it off partially where the sign is so it looks like people cleaned the window to read the sign (will make pics later)

then some pics with my gasser it kind of comess out nice next to the shiny charger

Wow, very convincing rust treatment, that battery corrosion is super. I like that you have left the carb off. This thing looks like it has been sitting for 30yrs. So many things you can do with this from here. Good luck man, it really looks great.