Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:32 AMT Avanti

talon63

While this progresses, I took a little breather to start the fifth of six 1:32 kits I picked up. This time it's the Studebaker Avanti Sports Coupe. Just few pics of the work in progress.

SAM_0620.thumb.JPG.e68b87d303352e56ef630SAM_0622.thumb.JPG.334ceed3965f1eb4a08edSAM_0624.thumb.JPG.884384f25cf81c1f0cfb2SAM_0626.thumb.JPG.5a5e960e82886782ae8f3SAM_0628.thumb.JPG.a4a13e535464e95d1833c

Still a few details to sort out, and exterior chrome to get fitted. 

As always, comments welcome, and thanks for looking!

Edited by talon63

Looking very good. I just picked one of these kits up on clearance at Hobby Lobby any particular build problems to look out for?

Thanks for the comments.  Mine was also a clearance item from HL, The kit itself was in good shape. A bit more flash than I'd hoped for, but easy to clean up and knock down the mold lines. Other than the console missing the shifter, a good chance of demolishing the front turn signals while cleaning up the body, and rear light lenses, the kit itself isn't that bad. It even come with a spare front valance panel on the sprue. Good thing back up lights were an option in 1963, since this one doesn't have them without some re-work, and the rear lights don't seem to match up with any reference photo I've found. I'm on the hunt now for the larger scale versions.

As a kid, this was one of my favorite car designs. Kind of like a kids drawing of the Aston Martin DB5, and more attainable. While it may be an odd looking car, I remember the Avanti badge being brought back in the 80's. Same basic car, with all the 80's dreck, and the design held up well for being nearly 25 years old, especially when held up next to what was being churned out by the big auto manufacturers. I've always waned to put that Avanti front end on an 87/88 Mustang convertible. It's a shame that Studebaker was on it's last legs when this car came out, with the last Avanti being built in November 63 and badged as a 64. 

Look forward to seeing what you do with yours when you get it built.

Edited by talon63