Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi There Josue and Welcome to the Forum. That's a really good job of ageing that Truck and it's also a nice lookin' background/dio to place it in! Also no foul with the "New Tires". Heck given the Truck's look I'd say the old tires had rotted off and the owner needed new ones to get the truck back on the road;)

Hi There Josue and Welcome to the Forum. That's a really good job of ageing that Truck and it's also a nice lookin' background/dio to place it in! Also no foul with the "New Tires". Heck given the Truck's look I'd say the old tires had rotted off and the owner needed new ones to get the truck back on the road;)

Thanks Ed that's exactly what i thought about the tires.

Welcome to the forum Josue! You've put a lot of excellent detail into this build. I really like the dipstick and valve stems on the wheels! Well done!

Thanks a lot Wayne I have so much to learn and try yet, I am really really pleased with the way the dipstick and the valves turned out.

Nice crappy ol' truck! :D  

I've been airbrushing in my apartment for about three years now and I haven't heard any complaints from neighbours, landlords or my girlfriend. You just need to make sure you can keep your workspace well ventilated.  If you can work near an open window or balcony door, you should be all right.

Nice crappy ol' truck! :D  

I've been airbrushing in my apartment for about three years now and I haven't heard any complaints from neighbours, landlords or my girlfriend. You just need to make sure you can keep your workspace well ventilated.  If you can work near an open window or balcony door, you should be all right.

I don't know much about airbrushing but if you don't mind me asking how do you deal with paint fumes and paint over spray?

Thanks 

If you can use a spray can you can use an airbrush; the basic principles are the same. In the long run, an airbrush is one of the best investments you can make in this hobby.  Many car modelers stick with spray cans, but they don't hold a candle to the versatility and control of an airbrush... even a simple, inexpensive one.

Over spray is negligible, almost non-existent when compared to a spray can, however, I will usually lay down some paper so as not to cover my desk in paint.  I do wear a respirator when I'm doing a lot of painting, and I keep my window open for the duration.  Some modelers will invest in a small spray booth, that while a nice luxury, is not necessary.  Now, given I mostly spray acrylics or mild lacquers (Tamiya "acrylics") so I'm not having to deal with a lot of harsh fumes.  I don't use automotive lacquers or urethanes, and I wouldn't unless I had a "proper" paint station and even then, those types of paint are best left at the auto body shops.

Edited by ANovaScotian

If you can use a spray can you can use an airbrush; the basic principles are the same. In the long run, an airbrush is one of the best investments you can make in this hobby.  Many car modelers stick with spray cans, but they don't hold a candle to the versatility and control of an airbrush... even a simple, inexpensive one.

Over spray is negligible, almost non-existent when compared to a spray can, however, I will usually lay down some paper so as not to cover my desk in paint.  I do wear a respirator when I'm doing a lot of painting, and I keep my window open for the duration.  Some modelers will invest in a small spray booth, that while a nice luxury, is not necessary.  Now, given I mostly spray acrylics or mild lacquers (Tamiya "acrylics") so I'm not having to deal with a lot of harsh fumes.  I don't use automotive lacquers or urethanes, and I wouldn't unless I had a "proper" paint station and even then, those types of paint are best left at the auto body shops.

Thank you for answering my questions and great information! I will have to consider all of your info and maybe invest into getting an airbrush.

Josue,

Welcome to the Forum. You've done one really fine job on this model. It is hard to believe that it was brush painted.

If I were you .I would, if possible invest in a decent spray booth. There may not be a lot of over spray  when you use an air brush. But What little there might be and the fumes will be quickly removed from your living environment. And they make some with a dryer type hove and a vent to fit in your window opening. When you are done put it away in a closet or someplace.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Be Well

Gator

Josue,

Welcome to the Forum. You've done one really fine job on this model. It is hard to believe that it was brush painted.

If I were you .I would, if possible invest in a decent spray booth. There may not be a lot of over spray  when you use an air brush. But What little there might be and the fumes will be quickly removed from your living environment. And they make some with a dryer type hove and a vent to fit in your window opening. When you are done put it away in a closet or someplace.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks for all the advice and I will take it all into consideration, I am just starting so I have so much to learn and things to get.

DSCF2028.thumb.JPG.4ae91ed662a06e8e28e2cYou've mastered some techniques that have taken others a lifetime to learn. Superb!

Gotta ask, how did you do the rust, hairspray technique? Doesn't look like salt or sandpaper only.

Thanks for your kind comment!

I am certainly not an expert,as this in only my second model model that I have done but this is what I did and it work for me to achieve the look that I wanted.

I used Testors enamel Flat rust for the base coat, I found out that by using flat enamel the brush marks or lines were greatly reduced specially if I applied the coat quite heavy. I then applied a coat of hair spray straight from the canister, after the hair spray dried I applied a coat of enamel Testors flat black for the top coat. I also used acrylic craft paint in various colors and Testors flat brown and even a little bit of rust powder to touch up here and there for the rust look.

This is the first model I did, but I did not use hair spray on the body, I just use fine sand paper to sand through the green paint until the rust shown through. the only part that I sprayed with hair spay was the bomb gas tank.

DSCF2028.JPG

DSCF2030.JPG

Edited by MemyselfandI