Model Cars Magazine Forum

The most dificult 1/24 or 25th auto model to build?

Leaving issues of who's is bigger aside,  assuming your goal is to put together what's in the box so it looks something like what's on the box,  lots of parts that don't quite fit can be a recipe for a journey into madness.  The Revell  kits could certainly be a challenge, but I thought the IMC kits were the worst in that respect.  In particular, the Ford GT kit, and their Cougar II.  THe latter I got as a Testor's reissue, so ancient moulds just to make it that much more challenging.

I always found Monogram Nascar kits to be a challenge.  Just little fiddly things make them hard for me, starting with the GM cars having the nasty seams on the firewall where it is really hard to fix, and the somewhat vague and tiny attachment points for the suspension pieces.  Then, to make them sit with the proper ride height, more fiddling is required, and for me, the windshield always falls in to the body.  Rewarding, but a challenge. 

Where do Fujimi enthusiast kits fit in? I have several several 911 kits, but they have intimidated me for years and I have yet to try to build one.  

I always found Monogram Nascar kits to be a challenge.  Just little fiddly things make them hard for me, starting with the GM cars having the nasty seams on the firewall where it is really hard to fix, and the somewhat vague and tiny attachment points for the suspension pieces.  Then, to make them sit with the proper ride height, more fiddling is required, and for me, the windshield always falls in to the body.  Rewarding, but a challenge. 

Where do Fujimi enthusiast kits fit in? I have several several 911 kits, but they have intimidated me for years and I have yet to try to build one.  

I've never built their 911s. But, the Fujimi kits I have built are great. Not far from Tamiya's level of quality and fit.

When I was building this back in '07 or so, I got comments that this was one of the toughest kits to ever hit the shelves.......

P1281028

To avoid what I knew were going to be potential major issues, I practically re-engineered the kit from bumper to bumper...........

You can check in on all I had to go through by clicking here. Not a totally impossible kit, but one that can and will try your patience!

Interesting. This has always been one of favorite kits. I've built serveral over the years. The first one when I was about 14. I never found this kit to be a problem. It has a lot of parts, but I don't remember anything that real stood out as problem.

Interesting how a difference of opinion comes up on kits like this. There have seen several kits over the years that I've found easier to build than others had found. Then there were other kits that drove me nuts, that others have had no troubles with.

By far my worst experience was with a Protar Lancia. The fit was generally very poor and required a lot of massaging. The dash and roll cage were easily 1/8-inch larger than the interior space they had to fit into.

In the past, the Revell tri-fives have given me fits and the MPC flip-nose Corvette is the only model (to date) to meet a rage-fueled-grisly end due to it's poor fitment. Only the wheels and tires survived to tell the horrific tale.

Also on my most-hated list, is any model that you have to add the front or rear bumpers/roll pans last, because if you mount them first to mold them in to paint, you can't get the chassis in. The Monogram 64 GTO I recall having those issues with. This is why I now test fit way too much and read instructions carefully.

the MPC flip-nose Corvette is the only model (to date) to meet a rage-fueled-grisly end due to it's poor fitment. Only the wheels and tires survived to tell the horrific tale.

I feel your pain. I ended up gluing the front end on solid and using half a tube of putty to get everything lined up. It still looks like butt.

Best way to build that kit is to display it with the front end flipped open and GLUED that way. It IS a parts mine, though--many good parts in it. I've bought several of them just for the parts.

I'll throw in the R&R Vacuum Craft '72 Riviera.I've never started mine and every time I dig it out I wonder  if my skills will EVER be sufficient to build that thing.

Sorry but I've heard R&R refurred to as R&R Vacuum "BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH" (rhymes with cap and rap). And from what I've seen, it's hard for me to disagree.

Edited by unclescott58

The IMC GT was tough. I am getting ready to assemble what i think will be my most challenging build. The Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 WITH the Top Studio super detail set. At 1/20th scale my eyes will be a tad happier but if you've never seen this detail kit perhaps a quick Google will show you exactly what I'm up against.

As far as a plain OOB kit, IMC and old Revell.

This one?

Revell_H1376_53Panel.thumb.JPG.667e405bc

I remember that one well. 

I watched my Dad build the one in the box art photos.  He used 714 on the sides because it was our new phone area code at the time. 

I never cared for the Pactra metallic blue and red he used.  Back then we mostly used Testors Metal Flakes and I thought the Sapphire Blue and Ruby Red would have looked better. 

MPC flip-nose Corvette is the only model (to date) to meet a rage-fueled-grisly end due to it's poor fitment. Only the wheels and tires survived to tell the horrific tale.

I have always stayed away from the flip nose corvette due to friends and now bad info about the kit but the AMT 57 Street Rod Corvette is a pleasure to build. Not any problems

I put a Revell Willys Pickup back in the box and gave it away because i did not like the fitment of parts after i started...