Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Hot for Teacher" '32 Ford Phaeton

spencer1984

Mostly a combination of AMT '32 Phaeton body & seats, Revell '32 Highboy chassis, and MPC Firebird engine. The headers, blower, and carbs came from B-N-L Resins; valve covers from Calnaga Castings; and PE from Model Car Garage. Also has lots of scratchbuilt items including the shocks, air bags, radius rods, radiator braces, fuel/brake lines, pulleys, belts, throttle linkage, ignition wires, and compete exhaust system.

hft-phaeton-01.thumb.jpg.a3cd9fbdbc7bf89

hft-phaeton-04.thumb.jpg.fa5413268490911

hft-phaeton-02.thumb.jpg.a1284dc57eb0f26

hft-phaeton-03.thumb.jpg.40df93be7c5070f

hft-phaeton-05.thumb.jpg.49dfdcf5c48e14a

hft-phaeton-06.thumb.jpg.2c9141f7562e8f6

That is awesome. Like, totally rad man. Also my favorite VH song (and video, wonder why?????). I do think you should add the hand lettering though, as that is what really identifies this car. I have wondered if the actual car is still in existence? Did you come across it in your research? You do very awesome work. I got it bad, got it bad, got it bad...

Thanks, guys!

I do think you should add the hand lettering though, as that is what really identifies this car. I have wondered if the actual car is still in existence? Did you come across it in your research?

I really, *really* considered it, and may still in the future, but until I'm 100% sure I want to add them I was keeping them off...

Did you lay down the graphics? 

They were something I drew up in Illustrator and had printed as decals. Joseph at Fireball Moedlworks did the white layer, and I printed the colors on BMF decal stock.

Pretty sure that was the late Tom McMullen's "Tom's Tub II" project car they built in his Street Rodder magazine in the 80's.

That's my understanding. I heard that it's still around, but a little worse for wear after so many years.

I believe I read somewhere that they pretty much trashed the car after the video. Somehow they managed to backfire back through the blower and destroy it. The "Hot for teacher" painted on the side left a ghost image after it was removed.Dings and knicks in the body and paint. I thought I had read that in an old issue of Street Rodder.

Thanks, guys!

I believe I read somewhere that they pretty much trashed the car after the video. Somehow they managed to backfire back through the blower and destroy it. The "Hot for teacher" painted on the side left a ghost image after it was removed.Dings and knicks in the body and paint. I thought I had read that in an old issue of Street Rodder.

I hadn't heard about that, but I knew it had been somewhat abused for filming so it doesn't surprise me.  Apparently the burnout was an unscripted and unwelcome stunt that wasn't appreciated.