Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRULY RAREST OF THE RARE 1/25 MUSCLE CAR KITS OF ALL TIME

hello to all my esteemed forum members and friends,,,,lets have a bit of fun mixed with all of your valued opinions for a poll of the top 10 RAREST, HARDEST TO FIND,  60s 70s era muscle car model car kits ever. Detroit made by AMT, MPC, JOHAN, etc.,,these can include any 1/25 scale stock, or drag type piece you consider truly scarce. oh, lets try it this way, your list should be considered that any of your choices are all mib examples, sealed or not, but totally mint and complete.....I'm working on my list right now, and I will post mine a bit later in the day.....what are your choices here, boys...the Ace..:D

ok,  here are 10 that I would include in this discussion....AMT 69 COBRA HT.,AMT 68 CHEVELLE SS, JOHAN 69 GTX, JOHAN 68 JAVELIN, JOHAN 68 OLDS 442, JOHAN 70 ROAD RUNNER, MPC 68 FIREBIRD, MPC FEVERBEE F/C, MPC COLOR ME GONE 68 CHARGER F/C, MPC BOBCAT 68 GTO F/C.................oh, if I snuck in the 11th round I'd say most of the AMT DRAG TEAM sets from the late 60s fit in here too.....all just my opinions, lets hear yours.....the Ace...:D

ok,  here are 10 that I would include in this discussion....AMT 69 COBRA HT.,AMT 68 CHEVELLE SS, JOHAN 69 GTX, JOHAN 68 JAVELIN, JOHAN 68 OLDS 442, JOHAN 70 ROAD RUNNER, MPC 68 FIREBIRD, MPC FEVERBEE F/C, MPC COLOR ME GONE 68 CHARGER F/C, MPC BOBCAT 68 GTO F/C.................oh, if I snuck in the 11th round I'd say most of the AMT DRAG TEAM sets from the late 60s fit in here too.....all just my opinions, lets hear yours.....the Ace...:D

That's what I got for a Christmas present in '68 as my first model kit ever! I hated it so bad (I wanted nothing to do with models as a seven year old) that I shoved it to the side and never touched it. I wanted to play with my new Hot Wheels instead. 

Man I wish I had that one now as the bucks that thing brings at the shows, and on eBay! :o

That's what I got for a Christmas present in '68 as my first model kit ever! I hated it so bad (I wanted nothing to do with models as a seven year old) that I shoved it to the side and never touched it. I wanted to play with my new Hot Wheels instead. 

Man I wish I had that one now as the bucks that thing brings at the shows, and on eBay! :o

funny you say that, Bill, as I also was Hot Wheels happy during 68 at xmas too, but got 8 kits that were all built in about a week. as for the 68 CHEVELLE, it even drew big bucks 25 and 30 years ago at the model meets I used to travel to in the 80s and 90s, even bringing the 150 to 200 range back then.....the Ace...^_^

You missed the MPC '68, '69 Dodge Coronets!

The '68 especially is a real "wallet buster"!

I can think of a bunch of kits from the 60s & 70s that are extremely rare & elusive, but I don't know if I'd consider any of them "muscle cars".

Steve

you know, Steve, that 68 Coronet is very rare, but you do see them around at meets and ebay. the 69 Coronet  seems to be less difficult to grab if you don't mind paying for it.....the Ace...

funny you say that, Bill, as I also was Hot Wheels happy during 68 at xmas too, but got 8 kits that were all built in about a week. as for the 68 CHEVELLE, it even drew big bucks 25 and 30 years ago at the model meets I used to travel to in the 80s and 90s, even bringing the 150 to 200 range back then.....the Ace...^_^

I gotta feeling that we may see that one as an all new kit in the not too far distant future.  No, I don't have a crystal ball, it's just one of those cars that's been way overlooked for a long time as that was a one year deal. ;)

I gotta feeling that we may see that one as an all new kit in the not too far distant future.  No, I don't have a crystal ball, it's just one of those cars that's been way overlooked for a long time as that was a one year deal. ;)

that's a good point, and no doubt Revell will be the one to produce it, if anybody. if any company makes it, it won't ever compare to the AMT original, it is crisp, and  really nice overall.......the Ace....^_^

MPC '70 Charger R/T, Revell '69-'70 Mustang coupe/convertible, AMT '68 Torino pace car convertible, AMT '69 Torino Cobra coupe.

I mentioned the Cobra coupe in my list, and your choices are all very rare and sought after kits as well, Mike. thanks for jumping in on this to list some of your  holy grails....the Ace...;)

1968 Color Me Gone charger funnycar

1967 Camaro Pace car

1968 Torino pace car

Johan 1969 and / or 1970 GTX

Johan 1959 and / or 1960 Fury

Kenz and Leslie Cougar funnycar

Rupp and Steffy Cougar funnycar

Johan Eddie Schartman maverick

'67 and '68 Cougar.

'64 and '65 Chevelle HTs.

'64 Tempest (pre-GTO). The '64 GTO (AMT) is pretty rare in its own right.

'66 Skylark.

Another vote here for the MPC '68 Coronet RT.

MPC '68 Camaro.

.....all of your choices are excellent ones, and all very rare, tough to find killers. thank you both Bill and Richard for making lists to join in on this.  Snake,  both the 64 Tempest and  GTO are very tough to find in mint condition, as is the 66 Skylark too. terrific input from both of you , and thanks for tuning in...........the Ace.......B)

....just for fun, try to think up your 10 picks of 1/25 scale only muscle/ drag car kits that you think are the rarest .....if 10 kits come to mind, we may get a better scope  on many that some of us have long forgot.....no big scales, customs, trucks, etc, they can be discussed later in another thread,,,, so think up just 60s 70s performance cars if you can...has to be dozens we haven't thought of yet.......the Ace....:D

The Jo-Han '69 Rebel has to make this list.  The number of Jo-Han stock Sixties cars that weren't also made as promotional models can probably be counted on your fingers; this is one of them.  Short production run, probably done in between the '69 Ambassador and '70 Rebel.  I've heard the '69 Rebel is the Jo-Han kit that was produced in the lowest quantity, and I'd go along with that.

The AMT '69 Cobra coupe (convertible with separate glue-on vinyl roof) belongs here too.  One shot deal, never came back.  The '68 Torino convertible pace car is a tough one too, but nowhere near as hard to find as the '69 Cobra.

AMT '68 Chevelle is a no-brainer...you can convert a '69, but an original '68 is tough to find and expensive when you do find one.

Sticking with midsize GM, let's throw in the MPC '68-'69 GTO convertibles and Jo-Han '68 4-4-2. 

When was the last time anyone saw an unbuilt MPC '70 Cougar convertible?

MPC '68-'69 Coronets, (particularly convertibles) aren't falling out of the trees lately, and never really were except when new.  Most of them got built as drag versions (meaning the hoods got cut, among other things).

MPC '68 Impalas, AMT '64 GTO, Jo-Han '68-'69 Javelins...I'll say I've gotten to ten here.  Others would include the MPC '70-'71 Cyclone, MPC Dodge Demon, AMT '66 Skylark GS (the annual 3-in-1 kit), AMT '67 and '68 Galaxies, and MPC '66 Mustang fastback.  Non-musclecar rarities would include the Jo-Han stock Maverick (and '71 Comet) and '69-'70 Cadillacs.  I'll probably think of half a dozen others right after hitting "submit reply"...

A couple I would give half my stash for (maybe) would be a pristine '63 or '64 Pontiac Bonneville/Catalina or a '64 or '65 Olds F-85 hardtop.  I remember those from my early days and really would like to have them again.  Haven't seen either one at shows or on Ebay.

A couple I would give half my stash for (maybe) would be a pristine '63 or '64 Pontiac Bonneville/Catalina or a '64 or '65 Olds F-85 hardtop.  I remember those from my early days and really would like to have them again.  Haven't seen either one at shows or on Ebay.

The '64 Cutlass/F-85 is a good addition to our list. No one ever kitted the '65 version. The '64 molds became a topless funny car.