Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Willys Pro Street curbside-ish

Rider

This was started 7-8yrs ago. I had heavy modified the chassis, I had used the engine set up from the Matt and Debbie Hays Thunder Bird. Over the years I revisited it a couple of times, I ended up getting too picky on what and how I was going about the mods, somewhere along the build I lost my way. Upon my final attempt to finish it I decided it was going to take WAY too much work to get it where I wanted it.

So out came the motor and tranny.

The body will need lots of filling and sanding before the painting imagination starts to take hold.

This is how it started life. The last pic is the paint colours that will be used, still working out the layout. I will be using some type of fabric media as a stencil pattern.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Lilly's are the type of car that grabs hold of you, make me perfect, make me take your time, I a always get more ideas while I am building one, get in too big of hurry, want to build a another with the new ideas. It is a never ending process, hour's will turn out sharp.

I don't understand why you are calling

it a curbside build. Are you taking that

approach to the build now?

I mean, are you yanking the motor out,

or just gluing the hood shut or . . . ?

What you had going there was quite

nice, why change it? Just wondering?

David S.

Sorry for the confusion with the first couple pics. Not exactly sure why I posted those, I guess I just wanted to share what could have been. Regardless, it is o lay a true curb side now.

Mitchell, totally, that is what was going on. I had the from clip as it is in the pic, then I torn it off to redo it, of course that lead to having to remove the engine/tranny and strip the chrome on and on. 

Dave,Joe, thanks for your interest and encouragement.  I will redo the original concept with that engine in another '41 Willy's build. I answer your question, ya unfortunate this will be a true Curbside. There were just too many issues with the current state of the project to continue. 

It's all good, I get a do over. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

I have decided the body needs WAY too much work. So it's been boxed, I pulled another shell from the stash. In order to move this build along velocity stacks and carb detail will be added to the hood opening. I really didn't want to do any real filling and sanding on this project, I just want to get on with the painting. A mold will be made from the carb found in the parts box and a second carb cast.

I use reusable coffee cups when putting small parts in stripper. It just makes life easier. 

Sorry for the '41 Merc images, something screwy with the site. They just appeared during an edit and now I can't delete them.

Thanks for checking n.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Not sure why or how the system atteached images from another post in here, not my doing.

Anyway quick update.

Still at the shell clean up stage, it is going in for the white base coat this morning. 

The breather and carbs have been sorted out. Change of plans on the carbs and velocity stacks, the dominators were just too big, plus the stacks just look wrong.  The white dominator is the 
one I cast.
The traditional scoop and Carter AFB 650cfm carbs on a tunnel ram are my final choice. 

As for paint, my head is swimming with the paint lay up steps and ideas.

My original lay up had me at about 25 steps if you include the light wet sanding between the 5 different colour coats and all the masking.
If I go with what I have come with this morning adds a few more steps that are mostly tedious cutting and laying of the masking tape. Then of course all the normal final clear coat steps. What ever I end up doing will be colourful, and definately OTT in appearance. 
:18: 

Thanks for looking in.

image.jpeg

Thanks but I can't take credit. It is basically from the Matt and Debbie Hays pro street Thunder Bird. I changed it a bit, and those are a couple of small blowers, not turbos.

Beat me to it Rider lol. If you wann get rid of that twin supercharger setup, let me know ;) following this build pretty close. I have an idea for a curbside t-bird gasser using the body and some other things from the Revell/Monogram Red Hot Pro Street T-Bird i stole basically everything from in an earlier build lol.

Thanks guys. 

So I have done some net surfing and found a few pics of inspiration. I have some what of a plan. Just not settled on what the future holds for each "panel". I can say there will be checkers, weaves, lace and if I can figure it out those fish like scales, and who knows what else's. 

My goal is to use as many of these colours as I can and as many techniques as I can on one build. I forgot to add the Chrome and gold, doh. 

This build has one purpose, to see what I can do and learn as much as I can in one build.

From this little experiment I am hoping to learn what works and only use what works for furture builds. My thinking is to try a many techniques as possible on one build.

It sure is going to look wild, and maybe even just plan aweful. I will try and make it look some what tied together, but it is not a priority.

The first colour has been laid. Dollar store Neon yellow nail polish, thinned with Acetone. 

Some more practice shots.

A little more consistent, should be much better with a straight needle, and the right thinning, and PSI, for now I have the MAC valve about half closed, and the comp at about 20PSI. 
The difficult part is the paint will surge a bit once I clear the tip. I clear it off on the masking template then move the brush into position as I depress the trigger. 
The new needle will allow a much smaller line, much closer to a pencile line, which is what I need. 
There is definately a technique to this small shading, keeping the tip and needle clean seem to be key. I have found I have to wipe the needle and tip after every row. 

First pic is with Tamiya Acrylic, second is with Model Master Acrylic.

So as I have worked through the different ideas and tried a few techniques I still have no real plan worked out, only snippets of ideas. Althogh I have managed to get the base pin stripping laid down and clear seal along with a number of white base coats. 
Next up is the black base for the black Chrome.
For those interested, I have included my todo check list of where I have made it so far in my grand plan. 

Thanks for checking out the progress. 

First few coats of orange. I was going to go with florescent orange Zero paint but a test shot revealed it is crazy translucent and I don't want to put that many coats down. So I went with Jagermister orange Zero paint. This isn't a fade paint job, I am just laying the orange down all over outside the panels so as not to handcuff myself with future options if things happen to change. Thanks for following along.

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Some more messing around.

I fashioned myself a double bladed knife to make some more checkers out of Tamiya tape. Wanted to see if it might behave better then the AIZU micro tape I used previous.
It works the same, the tape will squirm around after it has been placed then positioned. The key it to place a corner exactly where it needs to be then press the rest of the "checker" onto the surface. Crazy hard to do. 

The checkers I laid previous were .7mm, today's checkers I am laying on the A-pilar are .4mm. One day I will come up with a better method of cutting far more consistent looking "squares". These were cut using the double blade then I just eyeballed the "squares". 
Currently working on the other A-pilar.

I also fashioned some .24mm pinstripping. Just taking it on a test run on a spoon, hoping to incorporate it into this somewhere too.

In keeping with my theme of trying new things I am also currently attempting to create that cracking effect when lacquer is laid over enamel. I am not sure it will occure as I used Acetone to thin the enamel. 
I currently have three spoons with three different base colours, Tangerine Orange, Light Blue, and Copper, with Tamiya TS-64 Mica Blue Lacquer over top. I really hope it cracks, it better BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH well. I have had enough back luck with past paint jobs 
If anyone of you more experienced builds have any sure ways to to this please post it up. I would gladly try your suggestion.

If I can make it happen I will incorporate it into then lay out.

I will have another update later today.

A-pilar roof junction checkers down, I wanted them t look like they are starting to come apart, unfortunately they look a little too ragged. This is the adhesive causing some of this, I can straighten them some what then they just squirm back. Working with them is kind of like bending spring metal, you have to bend it past the settling point. I am sure they will look fine in the end.

Been working on the front, trying different methods of cutting 1.5mm checkers. Finally settled on a method that works.