Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Bathtub Buggy

Hey I have had this fun little project in the past few days.

this 1969 showrod kit went together very nice. the plans was missing so I built it from pictures not really a problem with this one.

but I also had my first encounter with Waterslide decals on this kit. but I was really surprised how good that turned out. only struggled with the one inside the sink. but they where also 48 years old but they still went on straight (and no silvering )

i did break the Horn so had to leave it out .

i then wired up the engine and added a distributor ,

it also has custom wheels  ill explain them further down.

DSC_1860_zpsacayr47f.jpg

DSC_1857_zpsh5xfsdjq.jpg

DSC_1856_zpsszbpci4t.jpg

DSC_1861_zpsrq6sjapf.jpg

DSC_1863_zpsr5spxayx.jpg

DSC_1865_zpslsqxqhqk.jpg

DSC_1869_zpsqnxn6rb0.jpg

DSC_1870_zpsjc9xo0pv.jpg

DSC_1873_zpszm9kpm4z.jpg

DSC_1878_zpsotkq2edb.jpg

DSC_1877_zpsnamgdxsm.jpg

DSC_1854_zpsv4piv5rv.jpg

DSC_1849_zps6yk7kw8f.jpg

DSC_1852_zps66enxfxp.jpg

DSC_1851_zps03sdvufu.jpg

The Rims and Tires. i want to use the originals for another project , so i had to make / get some replacements . the front pizza cutter wheels are from a old Meccano Engineer set.  And the rear Slicks are Actually 6 wheels put together . 2x 1:32 scale Siku diecast Terra style Rear tractor Tires. with the thread grinded off with a dremmel and then sanded with sandpaper . and inside those (for rims) i have 2 metal wheels with rubber tires (from yet another engineers set) in each side . 

DSC_1825_zpsdtfsm3tb.jpg

DSC_1826_zpskxg24fvw.jpg

this was my second build and i enjoyed the time with it over a couple of days it turned out pretty good. its a wacky thing for sure ..

Edited by The Danish sprue wrangler

Excellent build John.  I love the wheel and tire combination!  Super Cool Show Car!

thank you Roy . I was very unsure if I broke some unwritten law by taking the original wheels away.  from this classic kit . but end of the day I think it looks good with this combination of wheels. and it makes it uniqe from the others around...

Have you ever seen a real car where the diameter of the spark plug wires was the same as the exhaust header pipes?

well...that "wink" you may have missed might suggest I was kidding a little bit.

otherwise, I will neither confirm nor deny what I may or may not have seen on real cars.  :P

• 1 month later...

John this is awesome! The "garden" hose plug wires, as Harry pointed out, don't really look out of place. I think they kinda go with the bathroom theme. 

Great scratch building and mods. 

Edited by Rider