Model Cars Magazine Forum

Goldfinger Rolls Royce Phantom III ever kitted?

It was a Lincoln sedan, probably a 64-65, engineless as seen in the crane pic heading into the crusher. Could see thru the grille or hood I forget which. 

Curb weight was 5055 lbs less 650-750 lbs of motor, maybe a few hundred more with trans. Cancels most of gangster weight.

So, dropping 2 ton brick into bed of 65 Ranchero. Wouldn't go well. 

Great movie anyway. 

Could probably start with the Italeri Maharajah Rolls as a start, but it'd be a long haul project 

That would be "movie set weight." "Story weight" would be much higher. 

'64 Lincoln 4-door sedan: 5,050 pounds (shipping weight).

Mr. Solo's body: @ 150 pounds (at the very least).

$1,000,000 in gold bullion in the trunk @ 1965 prices ($35.50/ounce): 1,760 pounds.

If my Google is to be believed, rated load capacity of '64 Falcon Ranchero: 800 pounds. :o

Plus which, as Cato just told us, Oddjob was pushing 300 all by himself.....:o:o

Edited by Snake45

Yes, I know Italeri is a PII but in 1/24, not much available. Lots of useable, tweakable bits, grille, fenders, parts of hood and cowl. Far easier than scratchbuilding, and OP suggested it was a returning modeler project. Not a "send screaming into therapy" project :D

I just saw my subcontractors put 12000lbs on a trailer rated at 7500lbs, so it may have worked once. Until the axle bent after a few bumps. 

au045-rolls-royce-phantom-iii-stoke-parkRajkot-Royals-orange-colored-vintage-Rol

thanks, again. With this guy, it HAS to be a kit, no kit bashing or modifying. He is no where near able or wanting to do that.

I saw a 1/43rd scale diecast(if I am remembering correctly) of the movie car on Ebay. I am going to let him know those exist. He'll probably be happy with that.

Russ

This is really just another test to see if if Firefox really works with Photobucket. In any case, this is the original car from which the 1:16 model kit was taken. The Entex/Anmark box art makes the color look like it's gray. The second color along the sides is a very light gold or similar color.

37%20PIII%20copy%201_zpsqqem3aj0.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Converting a PII into a PIII?  Think trying to convert a '62 Corvette into a '63.

Going on a bit of a tangent, It does occur to me that with the Italeri Rolls kit, you could get pretty close to the title car from the film The Yellow Rolls Royce.

I understand that. But what do you suggest for starting point? :unsure:OP asked about kit. No kit. Returning builder, doubt scratchbuilding skills, confirmed by OP.

Monogram Springfield nowhere close. Hubley SC1 further removed. 

I've considered trying bashing this, but not much other than a PII to start. 

If there were no 63's available, a 62 gives a nice start if you have skills :lol:

For a more advanced builder wanting to do the Yellow Rolls, the 1/24 Italeri Cadillac Town Car might provide a start using its main body shell on the Maharajah. Maybe Revell's '31 Model A sedan.

Edited by sjordan2

I understand that. But what do you suggest for starting point? :unsure:OP asked about kit. No kit. Returning builder, doubt scratchbuilding skills, confirmed by OP.

Monogram Springfield nowhere close. Hubley SC1 further removed. 

I've considered trying bashing this, but not much other than a PII to start. 

If there were no 63's available, a 62 gives a nice start if you have skills :lol:

If you have the skills, you could start with a block of styrene.  For what the OP wanted, with the skill set specified, basically, you can't get there from here.