Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 70 impala differences?

hi all,

is there a difference between the red version or the black one of the amt 70 impala?. I need parts and want to know if the red impala and black impala are the same ones..I believe they are but if you have both then you know...thank you..Chris 

amt 70 impala red.jpeg

amt 70 impala black.jpeg

Edited by Nova-ss
add pictures

I have both as well, and other than tires, decals, and the newer issue molded white, the red box car in gray, they are identical. earlier issues from the original annual up to the Cruising issue box had a set of very nice Motor Wheel spyder wheels that all the later issues do not.  however, your 2 issues have very nice Cragars and a set of barrel spoke Americans. this is a favorite kit of mine, good luck building yours.......best,,,the Ace....;)......oh, by the way, if your going to get just one of these, I suggest the black box new issue, as mentioned its molded in white which is always nice to work with, and it has a killer decal sheet and pad printed polyglas tires and blue streak slicks. but, usually the red issue can be bought cheaper online these days if the details mentioned are not a concern to you. actually, I just got my red one last week factory sealed, and paid just 15 bucks for it. hope all this helps....

Edited by AC Norton
text

Absolutely! ! helped alot Ace.I appreciate all the info.mainly I want the chassis plate,all front and rear suspension, but rims and tires sound great.I'm going to put this under my 76 caprice,that is going to have mild detailing.I ask Gerry about he suggested  this kit the black impala.so thats what I'm going to do.so thank you for tge help.you have a great evening Ace.......Chris 

ps...I love the old kits as well.I'll be getting two,one for the parts the other just to build.

Edited by Nova-ss
needed to add more.

Absolutely! ! helped alot Ace.I appreciate all the info.mainly I want the chassis plate,all front and rear suspension, but rims and tires sound great.I'm going to put this under my 76 caprice,that is going to have mild detailing.I ask Gerry about he suggested  this kit the black impala.so thats what I'm going to do.so thank you for tge help.you have a great evening Ace.......Chris 

ps...I love the old kits as well.I'll be getting two,one for the parts the other just to build.

glad to help, Chris......there are plenty of cheap ones on ebay presently, so as I mentioned, the red box usually can be bought for less, and its just as nice . I built one in the late 90s as a drag car, and the only thing I recall was a bit of a pain were the headers....they need to be stripped, cleaned up and prepped out well because they are rough in general, and the pipes to the heads need to be shortened a tad, just so all will fit under the floor without problems. the rear splash pan also fits poorly, so a bit of trick prep and fit will be the order of the day there. this kit has some very nice performance parts....decent headers once worked over, nice tri carb intake, carbs, and air horns, a large chrome air cleaner with a Holley carb,  and 2 sets of valve covers-- chrome stock ones, and a nice finned pair too. oh, also,,, if you build one for your collection, keep in mind the body has 2 IMPALA scripts on each side. one is on the roof pillar, which is correct for this car having the formal roof,,,but there is yet another on the front fender of this model as you will notice.... that one should be sanded off both sides, as it is mounted there on 70 Impalas with the base body style only. I owned a nice one back in the mid 70s and used it as my daily driver, and mine was a 4 door base model, and had the badge on the fender. best of luck with your builds.....the Ace....:)

Ace....I once owned a 70 4 door HT one too was loaded though...nice car.  Id like to convert the 70 kit into a sport coupe version with the slanted rear glass like a fastback.

Mark, mine was a dark green 4 door hardtop, just 350 2bbl, PS, PB, full wheel covers....sure not loaded. great car, I loved it as my daily runner  in 1976-77 era, as my muscle cars rarely got driven.  they were nice dependable cars, and even though I've owned so many great cars from  1972 up, and had a zillion company cars thru the 70s up to early 90s in the car biz, I still have a soft spot for that old gal.......the Ace.....:)

Mark, mine was a dark green 4 door hardtop, just 350 2bbl, PS, PB, full wheel covers....sure not loaded. great car, I loved it as my daily runner  in 1976-77 era, as my muscle cars rarely got driven.  they were nice dependable cars, and even though I've owned so many great cars from  1972 up, and had a zillion company cars thru the 70s up to early 90s in the car biz, I still have a soft spot for that old gal.......the Ace.....:)

Ace... Mine was light green with dark green interior and vinyl top...LOL..  It had a 350ci 4 barrel,auto,power everything...real nice.