Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Toyota Corona 1600 sl ( from otaki)

going to slowly start a new project . this its the 1970 Toyota corona from Otaki .

i dont yet know what i will be doing here . should it be box stock or Custom

i have no idea about color yet could be anything ...

now the interior sucks on this kit the seats are half sized . because i guess they liked to make these kits into slot-cars back then. so it has a battery compartment and room for a motor inside .

and there are gears on the back axle . so there is some work in that if i choose to try and fix it

the body is pretty nice on first glance. the doorhandle,s are hollow and corona emblems is molded on the side.

but it does have some heavy mold lines to remove .  

and the chrome is awful allround .. 

oh and the instructions are missing from the kit .

its an od kit witch i have not been able to find Any info on or even a single picture of online. shame i dont read japaneese then maybe .??? anyone know anything ???

your ideas or thoughts on this project are very welcome .

That looks like it could be fun as long as you're not too concerned with making an accurate or detailed model! Body looks cool – like it's been chopped and sectioned already. Lower it on some nice custom wheels, cleanup all those mold lines, give it a nice paint job and some BMF and call it done!

That looks like it could be fun as long as you're not too concerned with making an accurate or detailed model! Body looks cool – like it's been chopped and sectioned already. Lower it on some nice custom wheels, cleanup all those mold lines, give it a nice paint job and some BMF and call it done!

i think you are right .. just going to make it an everyday jdm Run-a-round .

its pretty old guessing around 1970 . the Otaki company went bust back in the 70-80s

Thank you for the quick responce :D . One of my cousins had one of those cars ( and a Datsun 2 door wagon , too ) , so I have a sentimental connection to them . Too bad that the organisation that made that kit is no long in operations :(.

Thank you for the quick responce :D . One of my cousins had one of those cars ( and a Datsun 2 door wagon , too ) , so I have a sentimental connection to them . Too bad that the organisation that made that kit is no long in operations :(.

no problem and yes it really is too bad . but as far as i could read some of the other model Companys bought Otaki.s molds and tooling so this may still be out there . i think it was fujimi and another one who bought them .

little progress

first painted the hood red .  to do a rising sun style hood .

and the body metallic blue

removed the tape . and it looked awful .

found rims i think .

trying to fix the lines on the hood . take 1

result not good .

trying to fix hood take 2

sanded it down . and going to think whats next . might just turn it black

then played with spoiler ideas . might not do them

so this is where i am now . need to think about it . might go to the interior build for a while

It looks like your masking is ok, and the design is cool - but it looks like some of the bascoat pulled when you removed the tape (did you key the surface and use some primer) and the paint application looks a little thick maybe?  It may need several lighter coats maybe?

Hope you don't mind some feedback - but I've done PLENTY of paintjobs I wasn't happy with and found that these things helped me, personally...

Don't get discouraged ... I liked that rising sun hood. Maybe try painting hood blue first then mask off just the circular sun and then the rays if you're having trouble with edges. This would also let you do a good circular edge with sharp rays .. especially where they join.

It looks like your masking is ok, and the design is cool - but it looks like some of the bascoat pulled when you removed the tape (did you key the surface and use some primer) and the paint application looks a little thick maybe?  It may need several lighter coats maybe?

Hope you don't mind some feedback - but I've done PLENTY of paintjobs I wasn't happy with and found that these things helped me, personally...

Dont mind at all James . guess this happens once in a while . and yes I sanded the body lightly . and I think your analysis of what happened  is right on . and I did give it a bit too much paint .

Don't get discouraged ... I liked that rising sun hood. Maybe try painting hood blue first then mask off just the circular sun and then the rays if you're having trouble with edges. This would also let you do a good circular edge with sharp rays .. especially where they join.

I wont . Mike  and I might do that when I get back to that stage  

Ours was gold, with a beige interior. As far as chrome I don't recall much, wheel covers, a few small trim details and the bumpers. Most of what I see chrome in your photos was actually metallic grey or black plastic.

This one is pretty much identical to the one we had.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/10/10/restored-1970-toyota-corona-deluxe/

I'd love to find one or two myself. My parents bought a '70 new when I was about 3, and my dad drove it until probably '83-84. I had an aunt with a Datsun B210 Honey Bee, and another aunt had an older Corona (the one that looks a little like a Datsun 510).