Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 934/5

Scale-Master

This will be the 1976 Follmer-Morton Vasek Polak car as it ran at Watkins Glen.

The casting is pretty good, but needed some smoothing out and scribe work.

After I did the basic body clean up, I made the windows.  The frames are PE that had to be bent to fit to the openings then painted black.  The kit provides a sheet of flat clear stock to cut the glass from.

The hood needed to have a hole bored through it for the fuel filler.

• 2 weeks later...

After I installed the BBS wheel centers and center nuts I set them aside.  Unfortunately the rear tires split along the line where the material met when being molded and apparently did not bond well.

I cemented them together with CA and will have to sand and paint the repairs.  At this point I’m waiting to see if the front tires split too.

I think in this case it was two main factors. 

There was a clear line from where the tire material went 180 degrees around the mold and I suspect the material was not hot enough to fully meld. 

Plus the tires were a really tight fit with a good amount of stretching needed to get them over the rims.

I was under the impression it was a recent kit Pete.  But it looks like older technology in some areas.

Looks like the front tires won’t be an issue since they are not stretched/stressed as much.  The rears have been repaired.  Not perfect, but once under the car I think they'll be fine.

The seat was MIA so I dug one out of my stash and modified it to match the drawing on the instructions.  The seat belt hardware comes in the kit, I cut the belts out from tape.  The roll cage looks a little rough partly due to the brittle nature of the white metal parts, and partly due to the tight fit inside the body.  Fortunately when installed it looks OK and the windows/frames further limit how much can be seen once buttoned up.

Very cool project, will pull up a seat and follow alongB)

For such resin kits, do you find you have to do anything special protection wise for your lungs when sanding, filing or drilling???

I have an old 1/43 Provence Moulage resin kit that smells like vomit when I touch it to sand or file....I wanna wear a full hazmat suit.

I put a new dryer sheet in its box and packed it deep in the stash pile.

Well, I don't breathe in the dust when I make it, but I don't wear a mask or gloves either. 

Most of debris from filing and drilling is not so fine as to become airborne.  When I do sand I almost always wet sand, and that contains the dust very effectively.

The smell has never bothered me.  But then I love the smell of new tires too.

This one is not too strong smelling.  Starter and PM kits from several years ago are much more pungent.

Into the final stretch.  The body and chassis are together for (I hope) the final time.
While it came with decals for the black soft trim for the front and the rear fender guards, they were incomplete and poor fitting, so I hand painted those areas black.