Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plum crazy purple with what interior color

Riley Customs

OK taking some time away from my diorama building to make up a few cars for it. Started this Charger. Found a new paint at the hobby store and thought I would give it a shot. Even without it being cleared yet it looks pretty good to me but now I have to find an interior color to match. I am going for a cross between a stock and a street Charger. Thought about going with sheer sheet metal look but I want it also to be a cruiser. Any ideas ?

20160414_175552.jpg

20160414_175618.jpg

20160419_145758.jpg

FC7 Plum Crazy ( Dodge ) In-Violet ( Plymouth ) seem to have either white or black interiors ( though I could swear that I've seen a '70 Duster with B5 / B7 interior ) . In my opinion , white pairs best with that shade of purple metallic , even though black was the choice of the dealers' stock orders . Why ? "White interior cars don't sell." . While I've never seen that statement as being validated , it does stand to reason , especially in an era where air conditioning was an expensive option (and its availability was limited at that) .

One of my older cousins bought a brand new 1970 Challnger in Sept. '69 . It was a showroom model at Atlantic Dodge in East Los Angeles . It was FC7 with white interior , directly from the Los Angeles Assembly Plant .

Plumb Crazy cars only had black interior from all the real cars I have seen and dealt with. Even my Moms Demon had black interior with PCP color. That's not PCP by the way. PCP is not metallic like yours.

Almost all the 1:1 plum crazy cars I've seen had white seats and door panels and the lower dash, with black carpets rear package tray, and upper dash, oh yeah, thejjy had white headliners too.

There's more than one paint code that used the plum crazy name, and one thing that might be confusing you is what looks like a fairly fine metallic on a real car looks like metalflake on a model. Plum Crazy is a metallic color, I have painted a lot of it over the years, we started running it as the primary color on our dirt stock cars in 1969, when the color was first released, in fact that first purple paint was a custom mix because none of the paint companies had a mixing formula for it yet, we also painted our '55 ChevyBel-Air tow car to match the race car, it was really popular with the public, the first race car that color was also a '55 Chevy.l

Edited by horsepower

Although not a Dodge, but my cousin had a 1970 Chevy c10 pickup that was special ordered Plum Crazy with white interior. There was also an old lady in town that had special ordered a 1970 Olds Cutlass in Plum Crazy with white interior. Very attractive color combination.

Although not a Dodge, but my cousin had a 1970 Chevy c10 pickup that was special ordered Plum Crazy with white interior. There was also an old lady in town that had special ordered a 1970 Olds Cutlass in Plum Crazy with white interior. Very attractive color combination.

Back in the day , one could order practically any colour from any manufacturer's paint chart , regardless of whose colour it was . There was a '71 Mach 1 Mustang around town that was painted AMC 'Sterling Silver' !

Growing up in a Mopar family ive seen PCP with both black and white vinyl interiors. However, every ORIGINAL mopar ive seen in PCP has been black interior. However, that doesnt mean that PCP only came with black as an option. That just means that black was the common standard interior. My vote is for black, especially if youre building a street machine. Black says spartan, utilitarian, no nonsense. It gets the job done. Good looking build so far!