Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plum crazy purple with what interior color

Riley Customs

White, like the picture above with black and wood-grain trim...

Back in high school, one of my buddy's dads sold his '57 Chevrolet hardtop (yes, the red one with the crossram 327, 4speed, mags...) and bought a new 1970 Charger - plum crazy with a white interior.  Always clean and parked outside his service station.  Somehow, my friend talked his dad into loaning him the car after school to give a couple of us a ride.  Still torn to this day about that ride, OK, we're high school kids in a brand new 440 muscle car so that has to be cool, but at our high school, it was very uncool to be seen in anything with a white interior...

My 71 Demon 340 was an original purple car with white seats, door panels and headliner with a black dash pad and package tray. Even after the paint had faded--as PCP always did if you parked the car in the sun for anything longer than 10 minutes--the interior still looked great...

I don't build for contests and prefer to paint colours that appeal to me or fit the project...BUT--if I WAS building for a contest, I would chose the lighter interior so that interior details can be easily seen. The black interior--while more "Down To Business" and spartan in appearance--tends to hide a lot of detail once the body is glued in place. I spent MANY hours modifying a dash only to find that my hard work was lost in the shadows and the only way it could be seen was to look at the pre assembly pictures I took. That said, colour choice is a personal preference and whatever YOU like is the right choice in the end

I agree Dr. I am going with white interior, black dash with the Purple being where the wood grain would have gone in the original car, just to tie everything in.Seems if you paint everything black you do loose alot of the details.

I agree.

I avoid all black interiors for the same reason.

Once the model is finished, it just looks like a black hole inside.

At a minimum, some sort of high lights would help a great deal.

Steve