Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

Do you enjoy "rescuing" rare old kits (or promos) from eBay, swap meets, flea markets, or even your own ancestral attic or basement? Join the party. Nothing is more satisfying than bringing some rare styrene back from the dead.

Let's see some of your glue bomb raw material. If you've got "Before" and "After" (restoration) pics, that's cool, but this thread is mainly about the "Before" side of the equation.

Here's a couple of mine just to get started.

Original AMT  '70 Camaro annual (non-RS), rescued from eBay:

71Camaro01.jpg

AMT Craftsman issue (promo-style) '66 Skylark, also from eBay. I actually have this one about 75% down the road to resurrection now, mainly been putting off some tricky foil work.

66Skylark02.jpg

Okay, let's see some of yours!

Edited by Snake45

Couple '60-built AMT T rods, $1 each at a swap meet a couple decades ago. Thought I could get enough out of both to rebuild one. So far all I've done is harvest the headlights from one to rebuild an old-school T of my own...but that's another story, perhaps to be told later...

There are some tough restore material here! This is an AMT 1961 Valiant I got just because I always loved the body on these cars and it was cheaper than dirt. I think the builder used every custom option on it secured with gobs of tube glue. I've gotten thru the body restoration and deciding how it's going to be built. Maybe a Mild Custom as some of the original parts are missing, like a few tires.

Nice! My folks had a '68 Impala 4-door hardtop, dark green. It was my alltime favorite car of theirs. Didn't care that much for the white '69 they replaced it with, or even the green '70 I got my driver license in. But that '68 was badass, even with two doors too many.

Long after I left home, Dad bought himself an '86 Camaro, but that's another story....

I've done quite a few, but didn't think to take a lot of "before" pictures.

Here are a few though.

As you can see, most of these are not what I would call "true" glue bombs.

I'm extremely careful when I buy built kits to make sure I'm getting a good canvas to start with.

I don't need any basket cases to spend months & months trying to salvage.

I have enough "good" kits to build as it is! :)

Steve

photo DSCN3200_zpsqplb7xrj.jpg photo DSCN4036_zpszhgidvlg.jpg photo before 61 chrysler_zpspfgaseqt.jpg photo DSCN2818_zps19b75b23.jpg photo DSCN3271_zpskjuyyprt.jpg photo DSCN4373_zpst17rpg4j.jpg photo DSCN3302_zpsz3wdqrwh.jpg photo DSCN3685_zps339f0f1a.jpg photo DSCN3329_zpsldj8j8lp.jpg photo DSCN3973_zpsz7olkrr2.jpg

While I most always work with virgin plastic, because of the subject matter I picked up this glue bomb last month at a swap meet. I've taken it apart and I'll be sending the bumpers to be replated next month. I have a lot (21) holes to fill, and this will be an on going project as I may be starting another kit and this Elky may be a tow vehicle???

While I most always work with virgin plastic, because of the subject matter I picked up this glue bomb last month at a swap meet. I've taken it apart and I'll be sending the bumpers to be replated next month. I have a lot (21) holes to fill, and this will be an on going project as I may be starting another kit and this Elky may be a tow vehicle???

DSCN3572_zpskws6mwhf.jpg

DSCN3570_zpshuchjem4.jpg

DSCN3644_zpsa5riqhng.jpg

That's actually a very nice starting point.

filling holes is not a huge problem, & having no paint is a giant advantage!

Nice find.

Steve

I inherited a bunch of models from a good friend a couple years ago. They were her dads and he built them in the early 60's and 70's. Many are kinda rare & I have a few of the original boxes as well. I have been able to repair a few of the lesser messed up models & have them on the shelf,but here's a few of the ones that I will be restoring.

Some were built & then torn apart way back when like we all seemed to do,lol. I am lucky to have been able to locate most of the parts in his old parts bins & mine & also off Ebay.

I promise to keep you posted on their progress. Brad

097-vi.jpg

krowbar2-vi.jpg

025-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

031-vi.jpg

044-vi.jpg

048-vi.jpg

071-vi.jpg

089-vi.jpg

101-vi.jpg

106-vi.jpg

krowbar006-vi.jpg

krowbar008-vi.jpg

KrowBar009-vi.jpg

KrowBar033-vi.jpg

models32016025-vi.jpg

oldermodelbuilds035-vi.jpg

oldermodels006-vi.jpg

MVC-016S

BEFORE - Never finished glue bomb using ample glue on everything. The exhaust was fused to a puddle of cement on either fender. It was in parts in the box, I dry assembled it for this photo.

DSC00320

AFTER -  I did keep the paint! Redid everything else completely!

photos_july252009 059.jpg

Howard gave me this one... body was in several pieces. Looked like it got stepped on.  

IMG 2390

Lotza repairs later she rides again!

mamas buy pictures 002

Someone in the hobby handed me this one at a show many years ago.  You can see the original builder was influenced by  Dave Shuklis' Bobtail Cat. It was never finished.  It will get restored one day.

IMG 2189IMG 2195

A gift from Dave Burket. He found this Valiant in an old collection and knew I'd do it justice.  My favorite photo shows how the original builder used the cover from the S&H Green Stamps catalog in lieu of sheet plastic.  This had never been finished.

IMG 2595IMG 2594

And here she is finished. It just screamed Bonneville to me so I added moon disks and finished it like I thought the original builder would've like to see it.  She's part of the Olde Kustom Kollection