Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

57 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Might as well contribute my three latest additions to the "restorable builtups" pile, including an MPC '77 Camaro (maybe a future Z/28).

MPC 77 Chev Camaro.JPG

Where do you keep finding these MPC Camaros? I find they are harder to come across than the AMT ones. I've got a few of the AMTs and only one MPC. I'll post it as soon as I can find it. I've got a story for that one!

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Might as well contribute my three latest additions to the "restorable builtups" pile, including an MPC '77 Camaro (maybe a future Z/28).

Yes....some day I'll see if I can get that Ranchero running across the kitchen floor.   

MPC 77 Chev Camaro.JPG

I bet I could get that Camaro back on the shelf and standing tall in a weekend! B)

Here's a glue-bomb project currently on the bench;

I acquired a box of "attic find" kits a few years ago that contained the remains of a California Flash '72 Duster.  A stock '72 Duster would be a nice addition to the collection, but this one was missing a stock hood, front seats, and grille/headlight assembly, along with the obvious missing bits as pictured.

Looking at a vendors pile of junk/bagged kits at a meet later on, I found a real sad-looking '71 Duster, complete but missing a hood and wheels (wonder if he painted it with enamel or lacquer??)  Here's my engine/chassis assembly, rear bumper and grille assembly.

From the parts stash....a poorly brush-painted hood, wheels, tires, a set of '70 Charger buckets (surprisingly similar to '72 Duster buckets), and finally....a set of stripes from a new-tool '71 Duster kit (haven't tested them for proper fit on the MPC body though)  

When it's all done, I'll have a presentable '72 Duster 340 on the shelf for an investment of about five bucks before factoring in paint, supplies etc.              

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

Edited by pack rat

59 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Here's a glue-bomb project currently on the bench;

I acquired a box of "attic find" kits a few years ago that contained the remains of a California Flash '72 Duster.  A stock '72 Duster would be a nice addition to the collection, but this one was missing a stock hood, front seats, and grille/headlight assembly, along with the obvious missing bits as pictured.

Looking at a vendors pile of junk/bagged kits at a meet later on, I found a real sad-looking '71 Duster, complete but missing a hood and wheels (wonder if he painted it with enamel or lacquer??)  Here's my engine/chassis assembly, rear bumper and grille assembly.

From the parts stash....a poorly brush-painted hood, wheels, tires, a set of '70 Charger buckets (surprisingly similar to '72 Duster buckets), and finally....a set of stripes from a new-tool '71 Duster kit (haven't tested them for proper fit on the MPC body though)  

When it's all done, I'll have a presentable '72 Duster 340 on the shelf for an investment of about five bucks before factoring in paint, supplies etc.              

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

Absolutely fabulous! That's what I'm talkin' about! 

You guys who do glue bombs are something else. Unless it's a very hard to find (read: expensive) kit, it's just not worth the headaches. Even then it would have to be something of extreme interest to me. I have so many kits on my shelf where I can create my own headaches :D, I would find it difficult to start from one. I have done a few disassemble, strip and repaint models that I got from club members, but they were hardly what I'd call glue-bombs. Keep saving those kits guys.

Barney Salute -  RESPECT

I think that's the fun and satisfaction of it all. Saving something that everyone considers worthless trash.

For me it started decades ago when I purchased a couple of built kits from a thrift store, they weren't anything considered rare, but they were all I had of those kits. They came out so nice, that I wanted to try again - and again. It's like an addiction, I find the challenge of starting with a cheap, pile of mess and making something better with it, is just too much fun!

Besides, were just doing our part to Save The Earth! We're recycling to keep plastic out of the landfills, Right?

20 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think that's the fun and satisfaction of it all. Saving something that everyone considers worthless trash.

For me it started decades ago when I purchased a couple of built kits from a thrift store, they weren't anything considered rare, but they were all I had of those kits. They came out so nice, that I wanted to try again - and again. It's like an addiction, I find the challenge of starting with a cheap, pile of mess and making something better with it, is just too much fun!

Besides, were just doing our part to Save The Earth! We're recycling to keep plastic out of the landfills, Right?

PREACH IT, Brother Patrick! Can I get a AY-men from the choir? B)

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

AMEN, brother!

And think of the money we save.....what would I pay for an MPC '72 Duster kit nowadays?......and if I mess up the paint  or whatever on this one. no big deal. 

Wish I had more "before" pics of some of the trash I've restored.

Edited by pack rat

IMG 1634

Here's a trio of 1960s or 1970s glue bombs that I bought a few years ago.  All three were in one bag and I believe the total was $5 or $10.  Each one of these has some character that I like, so I'll use them for the basis of my traditional / rat rods.

IMG 1635IMG 1637IMG 1638IMG 1641IMG 1640IMG 1642IMG 1643

14 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I don't know what this old junk is - cost me about three dollar fiddy at the flea market

2v2JPa8fSxue8Lf.jpg

2v2JPa8tLxue8Lf.jpg

That's the rare and desirable "UncertainT." And it looks like there's enough of there there that someone could restore it. 

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 1634

Here's a trio of 1960s or 1970s glue bombs that I bought a few years ago.  All three were in one bag and I believe the total was $5 or $10.  Each one of these has some character that I like, so I'll use them for the basis of my traditional / rat rods.

IMG 1635IMG 1637IMG 1638IMG 1641IMG 1640IMG 1642IMG 1643

I'd kinda want to just put period wheels and tires on them and leave them as a window to the past - for a while anyways. That black roadster looks cool the way it is! You definitely can tell it was built in the 60s by those wheels and tires. They're not bad the way they are.

CabDriver--I'll give ya 10 bucks for that green T thing:D

Snake: shhhhhhhh! Haha.

Tom--I love how the builder of the T roadster pickup just stuck the triple carbs on top of the hood. Looks snazzy, haha!

22 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

How true you are-spot on.I build a ton of new kits and glue bombs/restos  but to take something rough and make it pretty-gotta love it !!!

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'd kinda want to just put period wheels and tires on them and leave them as a window to the past - for a while anyways. That black roadster looks cool the way it is! You definitely can tell it was built in the 60s by those wheels and tires. They're not bad the way they are.

Per yours and the rest of the comments... the black Model A will live on since it's complete. I will check it to see if it ever had a rear bumper, if so I will add one from the parts box.  The green bomb is classic.  The original builder didn't even get a full coat of paint on it.  I will see if I can fashion some wheels on it.   The blue chopped coupe may get the rat rod treatment since there's not a lot left.  Notice that it has dual side mounts in the front fenders.  I don't think that's been in a kit for a very long time.

9 hours ago, Spex84 said:

CabDriver--I'll give ya 10 bucks for that green T thing:D

Snake: shhhhhhhh! Haha.

Actually, I was teasing a little - this was about $100 or so on ebay in the end.  But the guy messaged me after I paid and said

""my brother built this in the 60s or 70s - we took it to the flea market and no one wanted it at $5 so we nearly tossed it in the trash".

Wish I'd REALLY seen it at that flea market!! :D