Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

Picked this up a few years ago. Think I paid a buck or two for it.

Nothing special, by any means, but...

I couldn't save the windshield, but the frame has only  single crack along the bottom edge. I think the original builder used up an entire tube of cement on this kit alone... both rockers and the trunk lid had big distortion from copious amounts of glue.

Refinished in Jade stone and clear, it's on my bench now.

gb 1.jpg

tbird 1 1.jpg

Just started a Restoration on an old built up '49 Merc. Dunno what brand but I got it for free! This was about 7 or 8 years ago...when I first got into modeling. Luckily my dad convinced me to shelf it since it was "finished", and I happily obliged. So happy I didn't cut it up or use it for parts, best part is, it has a Big Block Mopar! Whoever the original builder is knew how it's done! The car is built with hogged out wheelwells, big 'ol slicks, and a gutted interior with a rollcage. I plan to fix it up just enough, polish the glass, change as little as possible.

And that paint, oh lord the paint. I love it. It's thick as can be. But that gives me a little bit of faith in polishing it. Also gonna get a Motolow chrome pen and a bottle of Alclad II chrome to try and fix the faded/chipped chrome on some pieces. The chrome bit is the front suspension under it.

15792312342254483084494052479518.thumb.jpg.12689fcc832ecee1519a7d4e8b9f7153.jpg

15792312129891223672816554485305.thumb.jpg.11f0f3db4bc2e3fd55f3041bc4f990b0.jpg

Edited by 1/24DragAndStreetCars

Not sure but I bet the decals were either aftermarket or from a non-AMT kit due to the film on the stars that matches their shape (most AMT kits used a continuous coat of clear film over the whole sheet). If you're careful (and lucky) you can cut the brown part away from the stars and scrape it off. Good luck and hope we see a build thread soon!

4 hours ago, 1/24DragAndStreetCars said:

Just looked. Should be easy enough to get one. Anyone recognize the decals? I'd like to try and replace the 2 or 3 nasty brown stars on the body. The numbers on the doors are also cracking.

Not sure, but those decals may have been in "The Tournament of Thrills" issue. 

10 hours ago, restoman said:

Picked this up a few years ago. Think I paid a buck or two for it.

Nothing special, by any means, but...

I couldn't save the windshield, but the frame has only  single crack along the bottom edge. I think the original builder used up an entire tube of cement on this kit alone... both rockers and the trunk lid had big distortion from copious amounts of glue.

Refinished in Jade stone and clear, it's on my bench now.

gb 1.jpg

tbird 1 1.jpg

That looks like you're doing a fine job. I like that paint color. Who makes it?

Later-

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Not sure but I bet the decals were either aftermarket or from a non-AMT kit due to the film on the stars that matches their shape (most AMT kits used a continuous coat of clear film over the whole sheet). If you're careful (and lucky) you can cut the brown part away from the stars and scrape it off. Good luck and hope we see a build thread soon!

I try to cut it away. Before I start a thread I have to locate the non kit parts. I'm missing a slick, wheel, and wheel back, so that's priority.

While this doesn't look too bad, the chop is lopsided, and the glass is glued in so that it was impossible to remove, being covered inside with filler a good 3mm thick with the same on the outside. The paint seemed to be some sort of housepaint and it just peeled off to reveal cracks everywhere. So i turned it into a frog which didn't improve it, lol

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00246.JPG

Now this one deserves a post of its own.

The true defeniton of a glue bomb! This thing probably has 3 tubes of glue on it and also the classic lighter melt for the front wheels.. ?