Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

Love this thread....good to see it's still going.

I think I posted this one before in the Under Glass section....but whatever. 

A true "glue bomb" as opposed to a "restorable built-up", something I would have passed on if it was something more obtainable (and cheaper).

A grungy AMT '68 Galaxy with sloppy candy green paint, worn out chrome, a butchered chassis and a glued-on vinyl top...it smelled bad too.

My biggest challenge was modifying the too-large wheel openings on the body; something AMT messed up before the original builder got his hands on it.  The rest was pretty routine. 

One of my favorites....just because it was so ugly when I picked it up.  

z1.JPG

z1b.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, pack rat said:

Love this thread....good to see it's still going.

I think I posted this one before in the Under Glass section....but whatever. 

A true "glue bomb" as opposed to a "restorable built-up", something I would have passed on if it was something more obtainable (and cheaper).

A grungy AMT '68 Galaxy with sloppy candy green paint, worn out chrome, a butchered chassis and a glued-on vinyl top...it smelled bad too.

My biggest challenge was modifying the too-large wheel openings on the body; something AMT messed up before the original builder got his hands on it.  The rest was pretty routine. 

One of my favorites....just because it was so ugly when I picked it up.  

z1.JPG

z1b.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

Gorgeous finished build. You do excellent work..

Any glue bomb of a model that is rare or only produced once and never reissued, such as SMP/AMT annuals is always worth a shot at restoration. Another thought- create a little junk yard diorama to display your finds-add a little body shop with something being restored- and always get pix of before, during, and after restoration!

A '60 El Camino I got as a freebie from a friend who sold me some unbuilt kits:

966188049_60elcaminored1.thumb.JPG.aeb7e863c0278396fefdd179314d82c7.JPG

1247037368_60elcaminored2.thumb.JPG.d317c72578c9c8c752cf23e57718b3fe.JPG

Got a spare front bumper/grille, but had to shell out for the lower front pan (tough piece to find and people bid 'em up). Pretty rough around the edges even after I stripped the paint so I'll most likely customize it.

Another one. Despite 19 perforations in the body thanks to the PO, I'll be building it stock since the rest of the kit is mint:

1353624633_60elcamino2.jpg.f2c30eda902cca8773935576742e452d.jpg

9 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I came across these sad looking Cobras on the bay . How could I not buy them ? Using parts I have I should be able to get two of them back to looking ok . Fun fun fun ! 

361702A3-A0F5-477F-AACA-297611787F98.jpeg

9D1A4563-D2D0-42D6-AD18-91933F063030.jpeg

ED90D024-6344-4C91-B0B7-0B81FE32A040.jpeg

984CADA4-C067-4B8B-9CE6-F9CA25709E57.jpeg

C5E3A6EE-C087-46AF-9A2D-AAD0C7E441FF.jpeg

E5723B39-61F1-41B4-B6E2-49EF9B9B30B9.jpeg

You can bring those back Ray, you know Cobras..

15 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Just read through all 25 pages of this thread. That was fun. not sure how I've never seen this thread before, but I will be jumping in with some before-and-afters of my own very soon. 

Very cool, jump on in! After pics are nice but Befores are mandatory. ;)

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

I came across these sad looking Cobras on the bay ...

Saw this trio, too. That teal color must have been popular back in the day since it was on a few of my older brother's models when I was a little kid, and also on the gluebomb Ranchero's interior and rear wheels that I restored & upgraded. I'm wondering if that heavy brush-painted teal coat would be sanded and polished to a flat surface. No doubt it wouldn't result in a monocrhome color, but might instead turn into either an interesting variation of close tones ...... or an awful appearance of teal-colored woodgrain.

Edited by Russell C

Now that I've discovered this thread, let me jump in with the first of many contributions.

This 60 edsel was purchased at a club meeting. At the time I was pretty happy to find one at a decent price, but then realized it was broken in several places, and didn't have any chrome. Thankfully Modelhaus was still in operation...

100 2344  100 2349 100 2346

The panel below the trunk was pretty straighforward, but how to fix the broken fenders? The pieces were long gone, so it wasn't a matter of gluing them back and doing some bodywork. Thankfully my friend Ed Fluck (Drag City Casting) stepped in. (thanks Ed @krassandbernie) He had a wagon body left over from his dads business (F+F Resin) that sent to me so I could cut off the front of the body and swap it onto mine.

100 2394 2vCun6pMxuy9t.jpg

And, here's the end result

100_2409.JPG 100_2410.JPG

I managed to keep the original builders wild interior paint job

100_2419.JPG

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Now that I've discovered this thread, let me jump in with the first of many contributions.

This 60 edsel was purchased at a club meeting. At the time I was pretty happy to find one at a decent price, but then realized it was broken in several places, and didn't have any chrome. Thankfully Modelhaus was still in operation...

100 2344  100 2349 100 2346

The panel below the trunk was pretty straighforward, but how to fix the broken fenders. The pieces were long gone, so it wasn't a matter of gluing them back and doing some bodywork. Thankfully my friend Ed Fluck (Drag City Casting) stepped in. He had a wagon body left over from his dads business (F+F Resin) that sent to me so I could cut off the front of the body and swap it onto mine.

100 2394 2vCun6pMxuy9t.jpg

And, here's the end result

100_2409.JPG 100_2410.JPG

I managed to keep the original builders wild interior paint job

100_2419.JPG

nice save, love those 60 Edsels