Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

Did some more disassembly on the 1961 Lincoln Continental- windshield will be a bear since it is glued to the vent windows and top of the frame as well as the mounting posts- going to saw through the tabs to free the bottom. Also soaked the interior bucket in Dawn and water- now clean and shiny with no scrubbing needed- body now soaking as well. Dash is neatly but firmly glued in place- will probably have to carefully cut it loose as well.

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9528.jpg

Paul-  Is the glass otherwise clear and usable... except for being fused firmly in place?  The last one I had like that, I taped it off and left it.  Once the car was painted and BMFed it looked fine!

And I HATE those plastic seat belts glued in place!  😁

Tom, It has a couple small glue marks that need to be polished out. I think I will CAREFULLY work an X-acto blade and razor blade around it and see what I can accomplish. Thanks for the advise though- I will do that if this doesn't work.

I call this collection "old school rods" provided by my favorite modeling buddy who unfortunately passed away last year (RIP).  Photos were taken before I tried to salvage some of these treasures.2012_0324OldRods0004.JPG.21bf86fa318c5a2ef22b00e152e46090.JPG

2012_0324OldRods0005.JPG.20df54f54c5d9e995590d0888d971aad.JPG

2012_0324OldRods0006.JPG.de39a11c541ae731770b88c901309acf.JPG

Only the drivers made it out!

DSCF4411.JPG.4c3c57bc2635be4c3c170887311a9fd5.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mvadrag said:

I call this collection "old school rods" provided by my favorite modeling buddy who unfortunately passed away last year (RIP).  Photos were taken before I tried to salvage some of these treasures.

2012_0324OldRods0006.JPG.de39a11c541ae731770b88c901309acf.JPG

Only the drivers made it out!

These are very cool, especially the black Lindberg dragster and orange roadster.

That Lindberg piece is a rare bird, and even though yours has the "wrong" engine in it (kit came with a 4 cylinder) it still deserves some love.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

These are very cool, especially the black Lindberg dragster and orange roadster.

That Lindberg piece is a rare bird, and even though yours has the "wrong" engine in it (kit came with a 4 cylinder) it still deserves some love.

Craig, the two you mentioned also survive.  The are in a box of salvaged old kits.DSCF4664.JPG.23835e34f78148dc0ba672dacbf2839f.JPG

One day the "4 Banger dragster" may ride again.

305882761_4BangerDragster.jpg.da086db6acf60be46e64680753672af4.jpg

Not much left of the Green Hornet.  I appreciate your interest.

DSCF4665.JPG.cc7c5bc2b00b965fe64852c1eb9c5bfa.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, Paul Payne said:

Tom, I tried polishing after its bath and it's really coming along! Question- how do you mask and what do you use? Never painted with windshield glass in place!

I use Tamiya tape... especially good to use at critical points, like where the glass meets the body and A pillars.   I will use painters blue tape on the inside of the glass.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:37 AM, mvadrag said:

Craig, the two you mentioned also survive.  The are in a box of salvaged old kits.DSCF4664.JPG.23835e34f78148dc0ba672dacbf2839f.JPG

One day the "4 Banger dragster" may ride again.

305882761_4BangerDragster.jpg.da086db6acf60be46e64680753672af4.jpg

Not much left of the Green Hornet.  I appreciate your interest.

DSCF4665.JPG.cc7c5bc2b00b965fe64852c1eb9c5bfa.JPG

Really neat old dragsters you have..

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Snake, if you don't have a use for the engine I do. I'm building this from the ground up, trying to use all vintage parts. The body and interior were in a parts lot I bought, and the body has original paint and decals. The body is AMT, but I believe the interior is MPC because the front seats are not molded in. The engine that is in there now is not vintage, or overly unique. I'd love to stick that engine in this, the yellow would go great with the teal metallic. 😁

Totally understand if you don't want to let it go though

Mr. Metallic, I haven't forgotten you, even though I've been out of action with a stroke for most of the last two months. One minor problem is that The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of my time out of the house to "clean up" my modeling bench. I don't think she threw anything away but I need to find the project and then a box suitable for shipping. It might be a couple more weeks, but I'll try to Gitter Done for you. 

Also, OldCarFan27, I haven't forgotten my promise to send you the rebuildable glue bomb Ala Kart. I happen to know where this one is, but again, I'll have to find a box for it. 

And Spencer 84, I haven't forgotten my promise to send you a couple of original Monkeemobile Dean Jeffries Custom fender emblems. I'll get to all of these as soon as I can. Sorry about the delay. :angry:

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Mr. Metallic, I haven't forgotten you, even though I've been out of action with a stroke for most of the last two months. One minor problem is that The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of my time out of the house to "clean up" my modeling bench. I don't think she threw anything away but I need to find the project and then a box suitable for shipping. It might be a couple more weeks, but I'll try to Gitter Done for you. 

Also, OldCarFan27, I haven't forgotten my promise to send you the rebuildable glue bomb Ala Kart. I happen to know where this one is, but again, I'll have to find a box for it. 

And Spencer 84, I haven't forgotten my promise to send you a couple of original Monkeemobile Dean Jeffries Custom fender emblems. I'll get to all of these as soon as I can. Sorry about the delay. :angry:

Good to see you back Snake. For some reason, it says you can't recieve messages.

Sucks about the Mrs. cleaning up your workbench.  I told "The lovely Mrs. CanCon" about that and she says "Oh No, she knows enough to never touch my workbench", and she never has. 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Snake, good to see you on the forum and getting better. You was missed and I missed I missed you.

I always would read your posts. Please take care of yourself…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great to see you back here Snake. I was beginning to get worried, not because I hadn't seen the parts but because you haven't been around. Hope you are recovering well. And no worries on the further wait, our health is the primary concern, everything else is secondary.

20 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Sucks about the Mrs. cleaning up your workbench.  I told "The lovely Mrs. CanCon" about that and she says "Oh No, she knows enough to never touch my workbench", and she never has. 

Mrs. G never organizes, she just piles more doo doo on my bench and in my model room...   anything that is mine, that she thinks is mine, or could possibly be mine gets piled and stacked in my spaces, to the point I have to shovel out to reach the bench. Her idea of cleaning and organizing the house!

Completely demotivating when I decide I want to build for a half hour... and there's an hours worth of shoveling to be done!

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

.....I'll get to all of these as soon as I can. Sorry about the delay. :angry:

No apologies needed my friend for situations YOU had no control over!

My significant other always has to be testing "lines drawn in the sand"...helps to practice my patients!

Told ya you had a following!

Glad to see ya back...LMK if you need anything.

khils

• Like 1

It's good to see you back, Snake.

One of my favorite threads on this board is this one you started way back when, so I figured it's a good time for another contribution.

Being a Craftsman kit, it was only a partial glue bomb.  The taillights and rear chrome molding were welded in place, and the body was partially shaved with coarse sandpaper.  It was pretty ugly under that Testors blue enamel.  

zz1.JPG

zz2.JPG

zz3.JPG

zz4.JPG

• Like 4