Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

2 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

That’s one kit I’d like to find someday. 

They're out there. Occasionally they show up on eBay for almost tolerable prices. I'm using this one for parts for another rebuilder that I have spent too much time on. We'll see what I can get off of it without too much carnage.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:23 PM, Bullybeef said:

While harvesting some useable parts from my parts bin I came across this beaut. Olds rocket engine from the revel Thames gasser. I’ll accept the challenge and see if I can pick away the glue and save this engine. I’ve got nothing better to do today than watch paint dry lol

IMG_7102.jpeg

I find a perverse pleasure in making stuff like this usable. It's almost as if you're getting it for free. ;)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, redscampi said:

I find a perverse pleasure in making stuff like this usable. It's almost as if you're getting it for free. ;)

I agree, quite a number of times while doing this I try to imagine the builder with his tube of red testors cement adding a little too much and then going

“o well it won’t be seen anyways”!

1 hour ago, Bullybeef said:

I agree, quite a number of times while doing this I try to imagine the builder with his tube of red testors cement adding a little too much and then going

“o well it won’t be seen anyways”!

Lol! What it makes me think of is my 10 year old self trying to carefully apply glue out of a tube that never seemed to stop flowing.  glue on fingers, work surface, and all over the model. I'm taking apart that Tiuana Taxi right now. It will live again, but maybe with some donor pieces. :)

• Like 1

An MPC '65 Dodge Monaco I restored awhile back.  

This was a true glue bomb; everything was welded together.  The windows were so heavily glued in place they couldn't be removed; I had to use a polishing kit to clean them up (I managed to cut out and replace the glue-blobbed vent windows).  The brittle gold plastic just added to the fun; I had to repair a lot of broken chassis and engine bits along the way.

zzzzzz1.JPG

zzzzzz2.JPG

zzzzzz3.JPG

zzzzzz4.JPG

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 9

The Bathtub Buggy is about to enter its 3rd phase. I've Soaked the paint and dismantled it. It is missing parts sadly, like the shower rack and driver side light fixture mainly. The shower top and back part of the seat are major details to the kit. I don't have a plan for those parts yet... 

The chrome isn't good... that's another problem, it needs stripped and redone. It's not really gold nor chrome either. I'm not sure about colors for my version... but I was thinking about flocking the floor as some bathrooms from the 60's had carpet flooring. 🤔 Gross! 😆 Pink, Peach, or mint green? or neutral colors (modern style) to bring it to the future? Idk?

20231214_111117.jpg

• Like 2

And another box of rebuilder/parts/junk/glue bombs has arrived. A box of 34 ford rebuilder parts including my first Aurora 34, a fairly decent 33/34 sedan and a lil victim I will call the skipper critter M’Anglia. Not a lick of paint anywhere to be seen. These will be in the long term I’ll get to them someday box under the bench. But clearly labeled so that I can find them haha.

IMG_7226.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg

IMG_7228.jpeg

IMG_7230.jpeg

IMG_7231.jpeg

IMG_7232.jpeg

IMG_7233.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

And another box of rebuilder/parts/junk/glue bombs has arrived. A box of 34 ford rebuilder parts including my first Aurora 34, a fairly decent 33/34 sedan and a lil victim I will call the skipper critter M’Anglia. Not a lick of paint anywhere to be seen. These will be in the long term I’ll get to them someday box under the bench. But clearly labeled so that I can find them haha.

IMG_7230.jpeg

I love the little Anglia!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

BullyBeef, I bet you'll like this one I scored for $15 at the local toy show this month. I'm just gonna clean it up, maybe throw a little Snake-Fu at it, and call it a Proud Survivor. 

64Riviera03.JPG.17f2e7918d02e560f9a06a74cd5fc7b9.JPG

64Riviera05.JPG.4160d6bd3ca1ba6b809ea1ed24c8ec0f.JPG

64Riviera08.JPG.06d68d782eeb5ef3c8824b017131c5d8.JPG

64Riviera09.JPG.a5d7806a2d85b84968f43c6293488ff0.JPG

Well I’d say you did a lot better on yours than I did on mine haha. I will most likely end up making a custom from this one. But it’s a challenge and one of the grails I’ve wanted. Plus it will be a big change from what I usually build, I mean it has fenders and bumpers n stuff haha.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, dusty_shelf said:

Got these of eBay a few days ago.  Nothing special.  Thought I might try my hand at rescuing them.  If not possible, have some great parts for the box.

IMG_0556.jpeg

Unfortunately, nothing worth the time.  All are so-so MPC kits from the 1980s and all are readily available and inexpensive.  Lots of excess glue with “burn” to many of the parts.  

Got some decent tires.  Wheels/rims separated.  Motors/headers disassembled and individually bagged.  The rest to the plastic graveyard.

• 1 month later...

As if I needed yet another project … but I have a soft heart for unloved glue bombs which might end up tossed into the trash by estate salers rather than being relisted on eBay at slightly lower prices. So, I was the one-bid winner for this $20 one, which arrived in today's mail. Similar to my '62 Ranchero speedster rebuild, I can see where the original builder was going on this one, but what it needs is the rear wheels to be moved back to a more aesthetic position, and a hood with holes for the air cleaners (they are a tic taller than where the hood surface would be), and much neater build execution. While waiting for it to arrive in the mail, I altered the seller's eBay photo to see how it might look better with a hood, chrome instead of gold caps, and a bit more subtle teal tone color. Might actually need custom wheels, considering the hood cutout = more of a hotrod or sporty car. I can hide the back wheel arches with the fender skirts that came with my years-back '58 Pontiac glue bomb eBay parts car purchase, and the better-than-average '60 Buick I got in 2022 just for its front clip might contribute some items, too, such as the back bumper.

Buickshorty1.jpg.c5119dae30161d6f3d486c1d14095790.jpg

Buickshorty2.jpg.c40548285229b93eb24af9d16e780c3a.jpg

60Buickshorty.jpg.fbee322cab44b8abdcda43f4249997e8.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TopherMcGinnis said:

I bought this glue torpedoed '55 at a 2nd hand shop. I don't remember instructions printed in blue. This is a 1973 kit.

20240117_174538.jpg

Seeing that makes my heart sink. Hopefully you can give it a new lease on life.

David G.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 4:25 AM, David G. said:

Seeing that makes my heart sink. Hopefully you can give it a new lease on life.

David G.

Back in my early teens, that model wouldn’t have survived an afternoon of firecrackers or the pellet gun…

This one has survived in all its glue bomb glory….my first glue kit I built at age 7 in 1977.  Brush painted in Testors ubiquitous 1111 blue, old bathroom carpet cut and put in interior, trunk mat from somewhere else.  I hated the two piece plastic tires and changed them out with some parts box wheels & tired sometime in the 80s.  The ‘Bad Dream’.  

IMG_1996.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpeg

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

• Like 1