Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Vette cvt restomod , July 30 ,, engine work

Can-Con

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of a 2 week vacation so I'm making pretty good progress.

Interior's finished and installed along with the tinted windshield.

Chassis is all set up and the engine's about 1/2 done. Most of the original engine was too glue damaged to use so I'm using the small block from the current '63 split window kit as it's almost identical.  Just keeping the original valve covers. They were really nicely engraved but one's damaged. Hopefully some of the injection hardware will hide most of that.

IMG 1959

IMG 1961

The taillight bezels were too damaged to save so I made new ones from some hollow plastic rod. It was slightly too large to fit in the openings so I used my cordless drill as a lath and turned it down with an X-acto knife until it fit neatly in the openings. Then I glued the rod to peices of plastic to hold them together and strait and trimmed them to fit. I just sprayed them with a coat of Alclad gloss black and will clean up the edges a bit more and give them another coat when dry then Alclad chrome.  The original custom lenses will be cut to length and reused.

IMG 1958

IMG 1960

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing job on bringing this vette back from the dead. I love the progress. Did you think to take any shots of it with the old paint and maybe of the original build? I have some old builds that I didn't build but I've thought about someday striping and doing a more professional job on. 

Amazing job on bringing this vette back from the dead. I love the progress. Did you think to take any shots of it with the old paint and maybe of the original build? I have some old builds that I didn't build but I've thought about someday striping and doing a more professional job on. 

Na, didn't think to on this one. I stripped it years ago,

Closest I have is this pic. You can see it in the bottom box on the bottom left corner in that beautiful Testors bottle green. :wacko:

steve's pics 054

Looks like alot of cool old builds waiting to get restored. I love restorations like rebuilding someone else's vision. When you get a model you can do anything to it and it amazes me what has been done over the years to model cars. I seen a 55 nomad with so many layers of paint (about an inch thick) that I could barely recognize what it was. I've built my share of them when I was young that made me wonder what was I thinking? 

Used most of the engine from the current issue AMT '63 split window coupe but kept the original valve covers. They just looked nicer even with one damaged.

Just added plug wires and some lines on the injection unit for interest.

IMG_1971-vi.jpg

Looking great. I love the color.and I do believe that I have the same pearl yellow nail polish, or very similar. I have a 63 Stingray built up to redo. It is in just about the same condition as yours was. Good to know what I am in store for in the near future.

Later-