Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Vette cvt restomod , July 30 ,, engine work

Can-Con

Been playing with this old thing for the last couple weeks between other projects. 

Got it in a box of old builtups over a decade ago, it was pretty nasty before I stripped all the old green Testors bottle paint off it. As you can see in the pics, it dosen't really look much better with the paint off.

The rear wheel openings were cut so I repaired them. The only suitable windshield donor I had was the Revell snap kit molded on purple so I grafted it in.

The rear deck needed some attention as it looked pretty flat so I'm building it up a bit with putty and after it has a nice shape to it I'll add the character line back up the center. 

I still have to repair the tailight areas and will be keeping the six lights. It'll be mildly customised and I'm going to finish it with some pastel yellow pearl nail polish I've been saving for the right car.

IMG 1894

IMG 1891

Here's with the windshield grafted in,,

IMG 1919

,, And here's with a guide coat of primer and wet sanded to show the imperfections. This shows how scratched up the hood and deck are. Looks like it had paint scraped off with the blade of a knife or something before it was repainted with the Testors green I stripped off.

IMG 1923

Edited by Can-Con

The vestigial Fuel Injection badges would seem to make it a 1965

That's what I was thinking too Dan but the gas cap looks more like a '66 to me. Maybe AMT didn't get the memo that injection would be dropped? Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

IMG 1893

That's what I was thinking too Dan but the gas cap looks more like a '66 to me. Maybe AMT didn't get the memo that injection would be dropped? Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

IMG 1893

The '66 roadster kit still had the FI parts, but I don't remember about the emblem on the body. I'm thinking it wasn't on there but not 100% sure. I'll see if I have a legit '66 roadster body in my Vette graveyard tonight.

The Corvette name on the deck looks more '65 than '66 to me.

In other news: Nice work on the save, so far.

Now in Zinzer BIN primer. Still have to repair around the tailights and there's some small spots that need attention but I think it's looking pretty good.

I'm gonna use the Revell '63 interior as this will be a custom so the pleated inserts on the doors and seats will be a nice custom touch.

IMG 1927

IMG 1928

IMG 1929

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along pretty good. Just have to finish the repairs on the rear panel. The original builder used the 6 tailight custom option and it was broken around the openings. That's the last part of the bodywork to be finished now. 
The revell snapper kit interior is a pretty good fit after some minor modifications. 

IMG 1940

IMG 1939

IMG 1938

IMG 1937

I like the idea of this one, as I am a fiend for those mid '60's Corvettes. I have several of the AMT and Revell kits, as well as several ratty bodies, and other parts to build some interesting variations. I may do a '63 fuelie Roadster, as I have an original "annual" with the rotating headlamps. The body has been lightly glue bombed but it has never been painted or sanded, and could be made into a nice model, 

• 1 month later...

Painted the body over the weekend. Mixed up some pale yellow in Testors acrylics for the base coat and put the pearl yellow nail polish over it. I'll let it gas out for a few days and clear it with some Tamiya bottle acrylic .

IMG 1953

IMG 1954

IMG 1955

Thanks Steve. It dosen't show in the pics but I really should have put more prep work in the body before I painted it. It could have been better but I got excited to see how it would look. You know how it is. LOL;)