Model Cars Magazine Forum

New WIP: 'Vicky Rat Rod *UPDATE: FINISHED*

charlesdcamden

So heres my new project. I started this while the paint was curing on my 68 Charger build, so no in progress stuff lol. Im using the stock "steelies" that came with the charger, along with the 440 that came with the charger as well. Im modding some of the engine parts that come with the Vicky to work on the 440. I plan on detailing the engine and interior, as well as weathering and channelling the body. Im going for a "previous hot rod turned rat rod" feel....

So ive already set my stance and channelled the body on the frame. Alot lol. It has a true rat feel, especially with the red wheels and pad stamped whitewalls that came with the Vicky. Ive also chopped the radiator and grill shell to match the lowered body. I was going to chop the top super low, but once i had the body channelled i just fell in love with the tall top on the channelled frame lol. The Vicky came with some decent chassis and brake detail parts like brake drums, full steering components, etc. Im going to use the rotors that came with the charger up front, and make some calipers for them

I also plan on doing brake lines and fuel lines. If i have the patience that is lol. Ill post some pics of the chassis when i get a chance. For now.... Enjoy :)

20160421_164637.jpg

20160421_164617.jpg

20160421_160131.jpg

20160421_160146.jpg

Edited by charlesdcamden

Been getting alot of work done on this thing, but no in progress pics. Been too busy doing work haha. Got the body weathered. It was my first time doing a patina finish EVER.... I used the "salt" technique. I didnt buy any expensive patina kit or anything. Just a $6 can of krylon multi-color textured paint that looked ALOT like natural rust, some el cheapo Dollar Store pale yellow, and some .98C walmart flat black. Along with a mixture of fine table salt, course sea salt, and ice cream salt (rock salt). It was a learning process that i think i got lucky with and nailed the first time lol. In the future ill use more course salt and less fine.... It scrubs off easier. Also mounted a "rusty" spare on the rear and reworked the front suspension to accomodate the pullys and belts on the 440.... Ill get to that later haha ;) in the mean time, enjoy!

20160426_063143.jpg

20160426_063200.jpg

20160426_063143.jpg

20160426_063117.jpg

20160426_063117.jpg

Also, i need tips on "fogging" the windows and chrome WITHOUT making a nasty clue mess.... I want to fog the headers, velocity stacks, shifter, and give the corners and edges of the glass that hazy, old car look. All my online searches are showing me NIL.

Edited by charlesdcamden

Nice, i like the choice to have the door nit match

Thanks! I was going for a "barn-find-old-hotrod that was missing a door so the new builder slapped an aftermarket replacement on it" feel. I think it works lol. You should hear the story my 9 year old girl made up about why that door is black. She asked me as i was unmasking it "Daddy, why did you leave the door and top black?" i told her that the top was supposed to be black. When she said "what about the door?" i asked her why SHE thought that door was black.... Id put it all on here, i even typed it out. But it kinda loses the magic coming from a 35 year old man vs a 9 year old ballerina lol

Took some more pics out in the sunlight on the hood of my 1:1 project so you can see the weathering and color properly. Dryfit with the 440... Its got a "6 pack", as in what looks like 6 one barrel carbs... Still need to wire it, plumb the fuel lines (maybe...) and address the headers. I have a plan that i think will be pretty unique when it comes to those ;) i plan on using the kit headers and modifying them significantly. If they turn out the way i want. Also you can seen the modifications done to the frame in the front. The chrysler mill is ALOT longer than either the flathead or the 427 drag engine, requiring either a recessed firewall or 

20160428_190918.jpg

20160428_190906.jpg

20160428_190828.jpg

20160428_190852.jpg

Got some updates. No in progress tho. Ive been too busy getting it done, and by the time i remember to take pics its too late. Im a bit sad that this project is coming to a close: i really enjoyed the fabrication and modification that i did. I pushed my boundaries, learned new techniques, and found myself getting lost in the imagination of the build :) here she is. Complete sans engine (which im taking my precious time on to get it right haha). Enjoy!

20160502_184211.jpg

20160502_184201.jpg

20160428_190918.jpg

20160502_184307.jpg

20160502_184316.jpg

20160502_184249.jpg

Well, its been a great build and learning experience, but all good things must end, right? Its finished, complete, done, finalized, etc etc etc....

When i began my pro street charger build, i was really just looking for something to keep my hands busy and my mind off some personal issues. I was never particularly good at model building 10+ years ago, so i really didnt expect to dive into this hobby as wholly as i have. Now ive completed 2 builds, and im finding myself doing things that i had never even imagined before. Wiring an engine was never something i would do before, much less make a plastic model "rusty". I have to admit im twice the builder i was before i started this Vicky, and i still have a million miles to go before im as good at this as i want to be :) i would like to thank each and every one who has read this post, commented, gave encouragement, and corrected my slim knowledge about the Model A lol. If anybody wants to check it out itll be over in the Under Glass area :) thanks for watching!