Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush setup/Questions

Hey guys, just got my new Paasche airbrush in last night. It is double action. Tricky to get use to. So let me ask what the best set up is. Size of needle? Size of tip? I can tell how to determine the needle size by the notches at the end, but how do you determine the size of the tip? Is it labeled somewhere? I am shooting acrylic paint and it was spitting and splatting. From what I could tell it was b/c I need to thin the paint with water. Is there a certain ratio that works best? Any methods you guys know that thins it best for the airbrush? I am using around 22 psi with the tip that came standard on it. The needle is size 3 currently.

Thanks guys!

My Paasche Talon has rings on all parts to determine size, the needle, tip and air cap. The fan cap that comes with it is for the large needle set only. It is important to get the tip tight, if you push the valve for air only and notice bubbles in the cup then the tip isn't tight enough. But don't go too tight and strip the threads. Look through the book that comes with it the trouble shooting guide is very helpful. The needle that comes on it is .38, kind of big for me, I use the .25 with water based acrylics. I thin until the paint just coats the side of the mixing jar as it runs down when dabbed on with a brush. Too thin and it just runs down the jar without leaving a coating. Too thick and it just kind of slowly runs down. Practice is your best friend. I use acrylic airbrush cleaner from Testors to clean the airbrush when using water based acrylics. Water just doesn't do it.

Also don't be afraid to play with air pressure. Sometimes it's good to turn it down, like when shooting into enclosed spaces. Think inside corners of truck beds etc. I like to spay nooks and crannies at low air pressure first then turn it up for the open surfaces. Look through the instruction book and work through the practice lessons. It really makes a difference. You can use cheap craft paint for this, That also helps to get a feel for thinning.

I re read your initial post, do you have the needle with 3 rings and the tip that came already mounted? If that's the case then that is most of your problem, it came with the 2 ring tip, needle and cap mounted.. if you look at two tips side by side you will see the difference in the rings that go around the square wrench flats. The air caps also have rings going around them that is apparent when two are held side by side.

Edited by dshue76

The tips are marked on the edges of the body. Look at your tips, see the threaded part? Good, now look up at the body of the piece, the area where the wrench fits. Each corner has small grooves. Count those and match to the needle that is marked the same.

That's a good solid airbrush. You'll pick it up in no time.

G