Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update 7/10/16: 1932 Duesenberg Model J, Berline coachwork by Le Rouge (Interior is all test fitted)

Art Anderson

This is a resin body I cast about 20 years ago, under the name All American Models.  The body was mastered by the late Lee Baker, of Chattanooga TN.   It will be a non-supercharged Model J--a few engine modifications had to happen there!

Duesenberg Berline Model1.jpg

Edited by Art Anderson
Updated

Couldn't find this limousine body style from a coachbuilder named Le Rouge, but I did find similar ones from Willoughby, Rollston and Judkins. Are you sure it wasn't Duesenberg's in-house La Grande coach builders?

Edited by sjordan2

Couldn't find this limousine body style from a coachbuilder named Le Rouge, but I did find similar ones from Willoughby, Rollston and Judkins. Are you sure it wasn't Duesenberg's in-house La Grande coach builders?

Le Rouge?  VERY prolific body builder!  ;)

Le Rouge?  VERY prolific body builder!  ;)

Google can't find a single reference to a coach builder by that name (Or could that possibly be a pseudonym for a distinguished model designer and builder?? If so, are you a Commie, or a Viking, like Erik Le Rouge?). Or do I misunderstand again, and you pump iron every day?

Anyway, what color scheme do you have in mind? These limousines are gorgeous -- I can't imagine what it would be like to see one floating by.

Edited by sjordan2

Google can't find a single reference to a coach builder by that name (Or could that possibly be a pseudonym for a distinguished model designer and builder?? If so, are you a Commie, or a Viking, like Erik Le Rouge?). Or do I misunderstand again, and you pump iron every day?

Anyway, what color scheme do you have in mind? These limousines are gorgeous -- I can't imagine what it would be like to see one floating by.

Uh keep working on the derivation of tha coachbuilder's name--you'll slap your forehead when you stumble on to it!   As for color, not finalized, but I am leaning toward Clay Rust, which was a Cord 810 color, but still good for 1932.

Uh keep working on the derivation of tha coachbuilder's name--you'll slap your forehead when you stumble on to it!   As for color, not finalized, but I am leaning toward Clay Rust, which was a Cord 810 color, but still good for 1932.

Would Le Baron Rouge put me on the right path?

Edited by sjordan2

Somehow, my last response asking if the correct path would be "Le Baron Rouge" didn't appear here, but I'll continue... if that's correct, then...

1. Art's body is based on a 1932 limousine for the Chrysler Imperial by Le Baron.

2. He will use a Monogram donor kit from one of the many 1:24 Monogram Duesenberg versions (though all of them are SJ cars).

Therefore..."Ah, but the kit source, that's where I had them, they laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that Art is putting one over on us. Naturally, I can only cover these things from memory. If I left anything out, why, just ask me specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them."

And ergo, the body paint should be strawberry red.

Extra points to anyone who can identify the source of my solution.

Somehow, my last response asking if the correct path would be "Le Baron Rouge" didn't appear here, but I'll continue... if that's correct, then...

1. Art's body is based on a 1932 limousine for the Chrysler Imperial by Le Baron.

2. He will use a Monogram donor kit from one of the many 1:24 Monogram Duesenberg versions (though all of them are SJ cars).

Therefore..."Ah, but the kit source, that's where I had them, they laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that Art is putting one over on us. Naturally, I can only cover these things from memory. If I left anything out, why, just ask me specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them."

And ergo, the body paint should be strawberry red.

Extra points to anyone who can identify the source of my solution.

Not even close!

Okay, to expand it a little more, probably the most prolific maker of car bodies at the times would be Ford's River Rouge plant, also known as "The Rouge". This is relevant because the body is not a replica of any specific Duesengerg sedan, but is in fact a 1932 Ford Tudor sedan stretched out to four doors.

How did I do?

Edited by Richard Bartrop
Correcting grammar.

Okay, to expand it a little more, probably the most prolific maker of car bodies at the times would be Ford's River Rouge plant, also known as "The Rouge". This is relevant because the body is not a replica of any specific Duesengerg sedan, but is in fact a 1932 Ford Tudor sedan stretched out to four doors.

How did I do?

Uh, finally someone nailed it!  That body was done, by the late Lee Baker, out of Chattanooga TN back in 1997--from FOUR AMT 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan bodies!  Great call, Richard!  :)