Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update 7/10/16: 1932 Duesenberg Model J, Berline coachwork by Le Rouge (Interior is all test fitted)

Art Anderson

Finally, I have the assembly of the interior worked out!  For starters, much like just about any resin transkit (regardless of subject matter), small, fine locating pins and the holes they fit into often cannot be mastered and then cast with any degree of success.  In the case of this Duesenberg, we'd made no locating pin/hole combination for any of the vertical panels, deciding to leave that up to the customer/builder.  In my case, however, as considerable paintwork will have to happen in the interior,along with the added detail of upper window frames for the insides of the doors, and an inner window frame for the rear window, each spaced out from the inside of the body .015" to allow for .015" clear plastic sheet to be slid into the openings to replicate window glass.  This means a lot of sliding the interior into the body, then removing it, for the purpose of testing the fit of those frames and the "glass", in addition to being able to pull the interior unit apart for paint and detailing.  

In order to ensure the correct alignment of the "privacy panel, both fore-and-aft, and side-to-side, once the positioning of this vertical panel was established by measurement and ensuringit's being absolutely square to the center line of the fender/running board unit, I "tacked" the divider panel in place with a couple of small drops of CA glue, using a piece of .250" square Evergreen stock to make a very secure footing for this vertical panel, I then drilled a pair of .022" holes up from the underside of the floor into that large block of Evergreen, removed the panel and inserted .020" brass pins with a drop of CA (hint:  To ensure that the CA grips such brass pins securely, lightly "sand" the rod stock first, at an angle oblique to the length of the rod, to give the CA something to grip the CA with!).  After reg-gluing the privacy panel in place, I test fitted each side panel against the divider and the edge of the floorboard, and marked both the edge of the floor, and the lower surface of each side panel, at each the front and rear end.  Then, after drilling .022" holes at the marked points add corresponding holes up INTO the panels themselves, I simply inserted .020" brass pins into the panels, and set them in place on the sides of the floor.  To secure the panels for all the test fitting (assembled, and disassembled these from the floor many times as I ensured a decent, proper fit), I drilled a horizontal .022" hole through the middle of each side panel, and into the sides of he privacy panel, and after inserting brass pins into the privacy panel, I now have an interior unit that can be slid in and out of the body as needed, while still keeping those parts at least loosely assembled. The Duesenberg is beginning to come together!

Duesenberg Berline interior assembly1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Art, I was learning a couple of good ideas on this build and it when away.  your work had inspired me to get back to the modeling desk.

Have you moved on to another great idea like many of us do before finishing our last creation?

Thanks

Duesie

• 2 months later...