Model Cars Magazine Forum

Returning to the fold...

RickR

Been away for a long time, have been looking forward to the info and crosstalk here at the MCM site.

I'm Rick Rothermel, lifelong modeler currently in Melbourne, Florida after 30 years, 2 months and 11 days in Southern California. There, I lucked out and was able to get 'real involved'  with the hobby. I wrote the model columns for Rod & Custom magazine for four years, did articles for Car Modeler, then for Muscle Car Review, Custom Classic Trucks and a few other titles, promoted and co-promoted numerous model car shows in SoCal and even pout a few shows on TV when I worked as a Field Producer for Discovery Channels' WILD ABOUT WHEELS from '89 to '92, before car shows on TV had BUDGETS..

I build mostly street rods and musclecars, have built cars for other friends, am currently in the early stages of a built-to-spec '61 Ventura from Moebius Models for Pontiac advertising legend Jim Wangers. The new kits are truly amazing. How far we've come in recent years in this hobby (again and again!)

Edited by RickR

Yeah, Bill, I have encountered the 'issues' with that kit. Your ideas on the wheels look great!

Both my parents and my grandparents had '61 Catalinas, and Wangers drag raced one for the Royal Pontiac team.

I'm doing one 'to spec' for Jim. He told me that one of the tricks that some of the Royal Bobcat cars had was red paint in between the fins of the 8-lug wheels. I may try that on his.

• 2 weeks later...

So cool to be able to build one to spec for Wangers, himself! Good to talk to you here Rick, I've always enjoyed your writing since first happening upon it as of 1992 or so. Hope to see your progress on the Pontiac and chat more! :)