Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 new releases for 2016

skittles

It doesn't, it's got the supercharged 350 from the wrecker kit and it is a flip nose. It is exactly the wrecker kit with a monster truck suspension. The wrecker unit is a pretty neat little old school setup that would look great transplanted on a 40's or 50's truck.

Being a Datsun guy, I will buy it for my Datsun pile, but yes, I would rather have at least the Lil' Hustler flip nose than the Monster Truck 

My very first car was a Darsun PL411 sedan......ugly as heck and just as tough. You can tell Datsun bought a Falcon to study!!!

Love more Datsun models.

Moswouldtkely not stock at all since the last version before this abomination was the flip nose version that shared a chassis with the Flip Nose 53 Ford Pick Up and the Flip Nose 57 Chevy

And here is the Monster Truck 

MPC-454-4.jpg

I hope it is a last Hurrah release before the bring this back! I can dream, can't I?

1975_Datsun_Pickup_MPC_1_7508_25th.jpg

i would ratger have this version,maybe they will give us...in time.the back dating like the street charger was.......Chris

Most likely not stock at all since the last version before this abomination was the flip nose version that shared a chassis with the Flip Nose 53 Ford Pick Up and the Flip Nose 57 Chevy

And here is the Monster Truck 

MPC-454-4.jpg

I hope it is a last Hurrah release before the bring this back! I can dream, can't I?

1975_Datsun_Pickup_MPC_1_7508_25th.jpg

The flip-nose Datsun pickup does NOT use the same chassis as the '53 Ford pickup/'57 Chevy.  The Datsun used the stock frame and suspension, and the engine was a small-block Chevy compared to the big-block in the '53/'57.  The monster truck still used the stock Datsun frame but the stock suspension parts weren't included.

The flip-nose Datsun pickup does NOT use the same chassis as the '53 Ford pickup/'57 Chevy.  The Datsun used the stock frame and suspension, and the engine was a small-block Chevy compared to the big-block in the '53/'57.  The monster truck still used the stock Datsun frame but the stock suspension parts weren't included.

I was told they where all the same. I guess I will have to compare it all when these come out. Thanks for the info. 

I think the version prior to the monster truck was the "Scavenger" "tow truck", like so:

79DatsunPUTowtruck_MPC1-0746_79.jpg

There will still be some stock goodies and a few still-close-to-stock parts, but the hinged nose is the real deal breaker here. :(

I *think* the monster truck specific suspension is shared with MPC's other monster truck kits of the era (Dodge pickup, El Camino), too, so I guess if you've been wanting a set of Rockwell axles you'll be happy about this reissue.

Think the not-a-monster-truck original-issue Scavenger was from 1979 or 1980. Pretty sure the last of MPC's Datsuns before the monster truck was the  Lil' Hustler pro gas racer that had a stepside bed. It's kit 1-0859, copyright 1982.

IMG_2878.thumb.jpg.e4bc11f1f16ad34669695

Edited by Don Sikora II

I'll probably grab one or two of those Datsun kits , regardless of 80's mullet livery . I have the Black Hawk issue of the Datsun 620 ; it has a nice looking camper shell and has all of the stock parts ( including those poo-poo plastic tyres ! ) . Maybe I'll combine the two kits ; a 2-wheel-drive with the V8 and non-flipnose !

It's packed so I  can't check........is there a California Sunshine version of the Datsun.......something like that....:blink:

California Sunshine was a custom that had the stock Datsun bed with IMSA flare overlays, but MPC also made a Datsun called California Step Side. Don't have one of those, but I'd guess that's where the bed in the 1982 Lil' Hustler originated.

Not sure, it WAS a while ago, but having built the "Scavenger" and wanting the Monster version

back then, I thought they were back-to-back issues, especially with the Monster being the Scavenger with the Lifted suspension!!

Lightbar is Very wrong for that era Tow truck though unless it was owned by a Fire or Police Department!!

Amber was regulated to them by the 70s.!!

Too bad MPC never offered it with Clear caps!!

It would be TOO much to offer red, Amber, & Blue,

but Clear could be tinted any color!!!

I picked up the California Sunshine version of the Datsun pickup a few years ago, nice kit. I was not too interested in the monster truck version until I realized that I can use the front grill assembly from the monster truck and maybe convert the California Sunshine version into a cool dropped down stock looking truck.

Question did the California Sunshine version still have the 4 cylinder engine? My version is in storage.

Edited by carnut

I picked up the California Sunshine version of the Datsun pickup a few years ago, nice kit. I was not too interested in the monster truck version until I realized that I can use the front grill assembly from the monster truck and maybe convert the California Sunshine version into a cool dropped down stock looking truck.

Question did the California Sunshine version still have the 4 cylinder engine? My version is in storage.

Yes, California Sunshine has the 4-cylinder engine.