Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wish Lists

At this past NNL East, everyone got to see the display table that Revell had there. One thing that immediately caught my attention was a separate table of a "Wish List". Of course, I had to snap a pic of it, and I even wrote down what I'd like to see come from them in the future.

04:483204964087

13:483204973044

The last item on the list is my own handwriting. Later on, I got into a really nice conversation with Ed, and I mentioned that Revell already has the basic bits and pieces to do this car. They did the '68 Firebird so there's your chassis and engine, and you have your excellent '69 Camaro so there's the basic body shell. Ed did write it down on top of what I wrote and said that they'd definitely consider it. ;)

As time went on, the list had grown to several pages and unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to go back and take more pics of what was written down.

I know this topic has been covered before, but if someone out there took pics of these pages, I think it would make for a good conversation. In all faIrness, and since tooling dollars are limited these days, I'd like to focus on what else that Revell could do with what they have already existing in their tooling, The Trans Am seemed a natural to me, and I had some others in mind.

Your thoughts??

Edited by MrObsessive

Update the current 1967 GTX into a 1966 Satellite ,,still baffles my mind why this hasn't been done either via Revell or the aftermarket

The current 1968 Dart to a 1970 - 72 Dart ( probably not cost effective considering all the mods required to do this one )

1971 Cuda off the current 70 Cuda kit

1958 Ford  off the current 1957 kit  ( preferably a sunliner )

I like the 1969 Trans am idea

There's a few more I could add.......

1957 Chevy Nomad (REALLY a no-brainer!)

1963 Chevy Corvette Coupe/Convertible using their excellent '67 tooling

1968 Dodge Coronet hardtop (I mentioned this one in another thread)

1961 Corvette based off their '62 tooling

A CORRECT 53 to 55 corvette based on the existing 58-59 tooling, please!

Hmmm.......I always thought the old one was pretty darn nice for its time, but then I'm no Corvette expert. The hoary '57 could stand to be updated as the one I did needed a LOT of corrections to make it reasonable for me.

That is encouraging to see and hear Bill and hopefully we will see some new kits from that list in the coming years. I would like to think that they will consider some of the subjects listed even though they may have been kitted in the past by a different company based on sales potential and ability to share tooling costs.

That is encouraging to see and hear Bill and hopefully we will see some new kits from that list in the coming years. I would like to think that they will consider some of the subjects listed even though they may have been kitted in the past by a different company based on sales potential and ability to share tooling costs.

When I mentioned about the '69 Trans Am to Ed, he said hadn't that been done before? I said yes, but it left much to be desired (MPC), and then I mentioned the tooling that they already have in their arsenal, and that's when he wrote down what I listed.

One point he did make is that the final results are what the numbers will bring ($). We out here in the "lunatic fringe" can say "That will be a TERRIFIC seller!" till the cows come home, but he mentioned that there were certain kits in the past that guys like us pined for, but didn't do so well sales wise. 

It's one of the reasons I don't fret about kits like the '70 F&F Charger not being able to be built stock initially. If much higher sales to the masses means we can get what we want later-----so be it!

Very true Bill, and thank you for pointing out to Ed the possibilities based on existing tooling. I would imagine that the cost today to create a kit has to be incredible so any new kit has to have multiple versions to be considered. Yes, sales potential has to be there too, but as we have seen with the recent Moebius F 100 pickups, they are able to deliver a bunch of kits with just a few changes. 

Sure hope they can deliver us some new stuff because based on the list you showed, I will be buying some more kits!

Okay #1. What should be a no brainier for Revell. A '57 Nomad. I'm not a big fan of the '57 Chevy. I like them okay enough. But I like '56s and '55s better. And I have enough '57s in my collection. With one big exception. A nicely proportioned stock '57 Nomad.

2. Somebody needs to do a nice '70 Mercury Cyclone. Shouldn't be to hard for Revell. They have most of what they need in their very nice '70 Torino kit. (Another Mercury that needs to be done is a '67 Cougar.)

3. A stock '70 Charger R/T.

4. What should be another no brainier. A '57 Ford Ranchero.

5. A stock version. Molded in white of their Starsky and Hutch Torino. With a single 4 barrel carb set up. The carburation set up on this kit is my main reason for me not buying it. (And yes I know I could dig through my parts box and fix it myself. But why should I?) That and the colored plastic.

There are many, many more I could wish for. This list could go on forever. But, there you got my top 5.

Edited by unclescott58

Although I like GTOs and Chevelles, and would love to see 1/25th and nicely detailed and proportioned versions of cars like that. How about more main streamers ? Why not a 68/69 Mailbu 2 door post car ? More wagons, and 4 doors. Its always bothered me that most cars done, always have to be a GT, SS, GTX, versions. Or why not 2n1 versions, and GTO with a stock tempest/lemans option. a flat hood. and a GTO hood. Hi-Po engine options, and maybe a 6 banger. 

Although I like GTOs and Chevelles, and would love to see 1/25th and nicely detailed and proportioned versions of cars like that. How about more main streamers ? Why not a 68/69 Mailbu 2 door post car ? More wagons, and 4 doors. Its always bothered me that most cars done, always have to be a GT, SS, GTX, versions. Or why not 2n1 versions, and GTO with a stock tempest/lemans option. a flat hood. and a GTO hood. Hi-Po engine options, and maybe a 6 banger. 

I agree with you about the 1968-1969 Chevelle 2 door 'pillard coupe' ( 300 Deluxe ) ! I'd especially like to see a '69 post with the Super Sport package (the only year for the SS to be available on any bodystyle). After seeing that Berger Cranberry Red '69 L34 300 Deluxe , I had to have one (only , in scale though . Can't afford a real one !) .

You've hit on some-thing with the Tempest / Le Mans idea . Revell *could* turn their '66 GTO into a Tempest with a Sprint 6 !

This subject is always easy. They're in my sig. and if someone else were to make'em in 1/24 and Fill Detail, well I wouldn't feel bad. Oh and the Shadows were the 2 and 4 that ran in the CanAm.

Edited by Crazy Ed

I agree the 69 Firebird Trans -Am is a good idea.

I`d truly like to see a 1/25 scale `70 Cuda "AAR" (street version) spin-off from their newly tooled `70 Cuda kit...please..please..please. I mentioned this back when the `70 Cuda was initially released. There was talk about a Sox & Martin drag car as the followup; with the "AAR" to follow close behind.   However, it has yet to  appear..I truly hope Revell will follow though on that one!!!

The other cars on that hand written list that I would absolutely LOVE to build would be a newly tooled `70 Chevelle SS LS-6 car. Both the AMT "Red Alert/Jack Reacher" and Revell snap were older per-eighties castings and had a number of short-comings and are well over 20 + years old. The `70 Chevelle is one of those iconic muscle cars that deserves to FINALLY be done right with a fresh tooling and current state-of the art chassis/engine/interior detail upgrades. The other car from that list that falls in the same category is the `69 Pontiac G.T.O Judge. The recently reissued of MPC`s Arnie Beswick funny car just does not get it. The older Monogram 1/24 was marginally OK but it was not done in 1:25 scale.  There has not been a 1:25 "stock" version of this subject since the MPC kit issued that same year. A fresh tooling with current state-of the art chassis/engine/interior detail upgrades is long over due  as well.

The `70 El Camino SS also is one of those Holy Grail of  the vintage American muscles car era. To the best of my recall this iconic car/truck has only been available to the car hobbyist as a 1:18 die-cast. Most likely the Revell `66 El Camino 2 N 1 kit could be a good starting point for this kit. And, if they do a fresh tool of the `70 Chevelle there should be a substantial carry over between the `70 Chevelle SS and `70 El Camaro.

Even though I`m supportive of a new `69 Pontiac Trans-Am car I`m more in favor of a  `70 Pontiac Trans-Am over the `69. The `70 Trans-Am hasn't been offered sine it original release in 1970 by MPC...that's forty six years ago. 

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Here are mine, to heck with commercial viability: 

1) Bluesmobile

2) Aston Martin V-8

3) Jensen Interceptor

4) 80's Dodge pickup and Ramcharger

5) a new tool vintage Mopar station wagon. I would take almost any one they do, as long as it's reasonably stock (no Alter-Nomad style thing here). My preference would be either a '69-'70 Chrysler Wagon, or a 1971 Dodge Coronet (can you say: "Rod Shop Dodge"?). Sorry, but I just think the Fuselage Mopar wagons were much nicer looking than their predecessors. All we Mopar people have in plastic right now is the Jo Han '60 Plymouth, they are just getting too scarce. The Chevy & Ford guys at least have one or two options here...

6) 1978-79 Dodge Magnum. First, I'll have to go back in time, influence some big Hollywood production to use this car as their hero car, and then...oh never mind...