Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 BMW 850i-------Update! She's now clearcoated! 6/19/16

MrObsessive

Really dig the color what is the name of it and who makes it.

The color is "Laguna Green" and I got the paint from my local auto paint place who mixed it for me. It's acrylic enamel which I find a bit more user friendly for me to work with when it comes to painting/airbrushing.

Thanks Al!

Well, today I'm gonna try (the operative word "try") to get it all clearcoated today. It's been awhile since I used my Tamiya X-22 clear and I think what I'll do is test it out on that plastic spoon I painted a while back to make sure there are no surprises with fisheyes, adhesion, etc.

As I mentioned, it'll have a subtle tint to it to blunt those metallic flakes just a touch--------meanwhile as things are drying out, I'm at the very beginning stages of my next WIP. I've got some stripping of a donor body I want to use going on, and I've got lines drawn out on the main body as to where I'm going to make the various cuts and such.

Look for new WIP post on that in the days to come............. ;)

The humidity in my house was playing nice today, despite temps in the upper 80's outside. I went ahead and got everything clearcoated as I had planned..................

10488056450711-vi.jpg

07:488056447982

03:488056443337

I did tint the Tamiya X-22 clearcoat as I mentioned earlier with 6 drops each of Tamiya Clear Green and their Clear Blue. This did knock down some of the "harshness" of the metallic flakes a bit and I'm happy with the ultimate hue of the paint.

Everything now sits in my dehydrator, and later this evening I'll turn it on at 105 degrees, and let it sit overnight. I don't like to heat up Tamiya's clear too soon.......the heat does something to it if heated up right away as I've learned in the past. I let the paint set up a bit before letting the dehydrator do its thing.

Next (after the paint has fully cured) will be the tedious task of rubbing and polishing everything out-------just like a real car. Particularly the roof, hood and trunk I like to focus on as those are the first things that get noticed when a model is on display as that's what the light is hitting. I don't ignore the sides and such, but for newbies that want to get their nice paint job really noticed------------really focus on those three areas. ;)

For me this stage of the game is all downhill..........after it's all rubbed out and polished, it's just a matter of final putting it all together and detailing. Glass, interior, wheels on the chassis (which all five wheels are painted now), and get it done.

Maybe I can get all of this done by the middle of next month or earlier? 

We'll see............ :P

Thanks for lookin'!

Just something to think about for future reference, if you're going to have a friendly paint shop mix your paint switching the metallic in the formula for a silver pearl will make for an even finer metallic than using the fine aluminum metallic. That's how fingernail polish gets such fine metallics for their colors. In fact if I can find a polish that matches or is super close I'll use it because their metallics are so close to scale appearance.