Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing Link 70-71 cyclones

Howdy Folks

been workin away & here is the latest! 1970 &n 71 mercury Cyclones! The are made from the original MPC bodies, hoods, chrome, taillights, rear valance, dash (corrected) & front seats, 3d mastered door panels, a correct front spoiler & out photo etch set! Enjoy & contact me with any questions

thanks

70 cyclone.JPG

cyclone 1971.JPG

Was hoping to see some WIP shots, if that's not what you had in mind, my mistake!:wacko:

While i would love to build anything ( i havent had time to since i started missing link) maybe i can get someone to build 1 & take pictures.

I've seen elsewhere the intended transkit is the Revell 1970 Torino.

Charlie Larkin

you are correct sir, you can probably also use the nascar kit for the chassis, the revell will take more work but the interior goes it the revell

Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding us about Keith's Cyclone decals! I have got to build one of these street Cyclones soon :)

I made a race version of Benny Parsons' Merc a few months ago using a reissue MPC race kit and a Polar Lights Talladega chassis.

Edited by Bill J

• 2 weeks later...

I have that 71 Cyclone on order, looking forward to making a rare muscle car. I noticed that the Model King racing Cyclone kit was issued a few years ago, it came with 2 full sheets of decals to give the builder a selection of options. One of the sheets has the factory stock Cyclone Spoiler striping and logos for both the 70 and the 71 Cyclones. They are black, both years. Saves some time for me!

I have looked at the 71 Mercury paint chips and have not decided on a color yet. Some of the Cyclones were a pretty loud color, not sure which way I will go with mine. Probably not the toxic green or competition orange, I may consider plain white. Having black stripes and logos limits me a little on the color. Considering the competition blue also. We shall see...

As noted else where, I got my '65 Wildcat from you today. And I am very please with what I got. So, your Cyclone is now high on my list of must haves.

I would just like a little more info on the Cyclone kit. What regular model kit does one use with this conversion? Are all the parts in MPC's Cyclone NASCAR model there, other than the parts you provide? I remember the original MPC '70 and '71 Cyclones were set up to be built stock or NASCAR using the same chassis. From my understanding, in the later NASCAR version, MPC omitted the the stock parts, and modified the body to be more like a real NASCAR racer. So, using that recently reissued MPC kit, and your resin kit, can I build a stock Cyclone? Or is there other stuff I will need? Or do I need to modify a Revell Torino to make it work?

Scott

the revell torino has the console & good looking engine parts if you ask me....however there seems to be a decent amount of work to get the chassis to fit there needs to be some grinding where the interior tub meets the floor at the rear & the leaf springs need to be moved forward some....maybe use the nascar chassis instead? the body is from the mpc kit & so is almost everything else except the door panels & front spoiler, you you could use the whole nascar kit if you wanted but i dont know how well the door panels go with the mpc tub.

The MPC Cyclone NASCAR kit has a really plain chassis with almost no detail and what detail there is doesn't look right. The ride height is too high in the NASCAR kit, even for the street car, which is why I used a Polar Lights Torino chassis on my NASCAR Cyclone.

I have a Revell 70 Torino kit and plan to use it for the stock Cyclone. I am sure that whatever work is involved is worth it. The engine is very well done as well as the overall chassis parts, I'll see how it goes. No way I would use the MPC NASCAR chassis.

Some other options would be the 66 Fairlane but the engine would be wrong.