Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing Link 70-71 cyclones

Kevin, one thing I noticed and it may be just an oversite, but you list this as a 70/71 Cyclone and the front bumper has the clearly molded 1970 plate. Do you also have a front bumper molded for 1971, and just not in the photos? I am saving up to get two at least.

Looking on line, it looks like MPC's present NASCAR Cyclone has nothing at all that can be used in building a stock Cyclone. I'm guessing the best bet is Revell's '70 Torino kit. I'd really like to see one built before buying this resin kit. I'd like to see the exact changes needed to adapt Revell's Torino chassis and interior to this resin kit.

Is anybody buying this kit for sure, and willing to show us the build on one the of the threads here? Letting us know what really needs to be done to build a stock/street Cyclone. This sounds like it possibly could be a pain to build?

Looking on line, it looks like MPC's present NASCAR Cyclone has nothing at all that can be used in building a stock Cyclone. I'm guessing the best bet is Revell's '70 Torino kit. I'd really like to see one built before buying this resin kit. I'd like to see the exact changes needed to adapt Revell's Torino chassis and interior to this resin kit.

Is anybody buying this kit for sure, and willing to show us the build on one the of the threads here? Letting us know what really needs to be done to build a stock/street Cyclone. This sounds like it possibly could be a pain to build?

While not truly a build with Missing Links resin kit just about all of these mods will apply using the Revel kit. Missing links interior is different and may require less work that what I did double up the MPC interior tub on top of the cast in interior floor of the Revel kit. I did buy Missing Links dash and the front spoiler for this built. Plus another dash, spoiler and a set of stock wheels for my other 70 Cyclone spoiler! My project had stalled and is unfinished at this point.

Edited by Sport Suburban

The MPC Cyclone NASCAR kit has a really plain chassis with almost no detail and what detail there is doesn't look right. The ride height is too high in the NASCAR kit, even for the street car, which is why I used a Polar Lights Torino chassis on my NASCAR Cyclone.

I have a Revell 70 Torino kit and plan to use it for the stock Cyclone. I am sure that whatever work is involved is worth it. The engine is very well done as well as the overall chassis parts, I'll see how it goes. No way I would use the MPC NASCAR chassis.

Some other options would be the 66 Fairlane but the engine would be wrong.

The 428 CJ is corerect for the '70 Cyclone . The 429 is correct for the '71 . Than x..

Kevin, one thing I noticed and it may be just an oversite, but you list this as a 70/71 Cyclone and the front bumper has the clearly molded 1970 plate. Do you also have a front bumper molded for 1971, and just not in the photos? I am saving up to get two at least.

the 71 grille has no date on it at all, the 70 does, i think you missed that i cast a 70 AND a 71, there are 3 difference between the 2

the 71 grille has no date on it at all, the 70 does, i think you missed that i cast a 70 AND a 71, there are 3 difference between the 2

Kevin, If I may ask, what are the differences? I've looked at the pics several times and I just can't pick them out.

I got my Missing Link 71 Cyclone in the mail the other day, hat's off to Kevin! Beautiful kit, all the parts and body are as nice as any work I have ever seen. Now, if someone would pick me out a color I can live with for it...so many choices!

• 1 year later...

I just ordered one of Missing Links 1970 Mercury Cyclones this morning. I was impressed with Kevin's '65 Buick Wildcat, that I built in the last year. So I'm looking forward to building this one too. It looks like a good kit from the pictures. And the Revell '70 Torino chassis looks like it needs very little modification to make it work.

My plans are to build it as a Cyclone GT. I've wanted one of those ever since my dad brought home the brochure back in 1970. The Cyclone Spoiler always looked too cluttered up to me. The "plain" Cyclone, with the exposed headlamps, too plain. The GT version is the way I like my performance cars. They may not be the fastest at the dragstrip. But, they would be comfortable and classy to drive in every other circumstance.

Scott

• 3 years later...
19 hours ago, Rick826 said:

Is this model kit still available? My uncle used to have one, and i would love to build 1 for each of us. We completely tore it down and restored in the late 80s.

sorry been out of them for years, i hate to say it but when you seen anyones resin buy it when you see it

23 hours ago, Rick826 said:

Is this model kit still available? My uncle used to have one, and i would love to build 1 for each of us. We completely tore it down and restored in the late 80s.

You're best bet now is to get one of the 71 Cyclone stock car kits and use one of the Revell 70 Torino kits as a donor to un-racecar it. That's my plan when I get around to doing it.