Model Cars Magazine Forum

How I made a pin hinge

Yenkocamaro

Hey Guys, I'm scratch building a 1/18 Pickup bed Toollbox, and wanted to hinge the top cover. Its a very simple pin style hinge made from plastruct  #90102 1/16" coated wire. In the pics, you will see the end of the rod is rough cut, so you need to smooth that out, so the plastic coating can slide off. be careful not to bend the wire. cut back the distance you want with an Exacto knife for the end piece. Score the plastic all the way around down to the wire, then slide the end piece off the wire, using the Xacto blade to push it off. This is a process that requires patience, as sometimes it will slide off easier than the next one. Then take a small file, and file the exposed wire all the way around until the plastic piece rotates freely when you slide it back on. Repeat for the other side. You will see, I cut a relief in the lid, so that it will not bind when opened. The ends will be glued to the cover, and the center piece will be glued to the box. I just added a piece of Plastruct flatstock for added support on the middle of the hinge, because of the hinge length.

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0831.JPG

DSCN0832.JPG

DSCN0833.JPG

DSCN0834.JPG

Edited by Yenkocamaro

Very nice!  

I have not seen the coated wire before.  Is the wire 1/16 or is he outside of the plastic 1/16?  

Tom

Thanks Tom. The size 1/16" incudes the plastic coating. They also make a smaller size, which is 3/64"  #90101 by Plastruct.

Cheers,

Lance