Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for a switch in jobs. A new truck already. no more shiney hiney.

This next truck I'm gettin into is an extended hood 379, has a hoped up C16, Big Boss single turbo conversion, soon to be turned up to about 800 horse. I actually got to hear the stacks today comin down a hill while my buddy was drivin this mornin, I ran about 30 miles with my buddy today down our little hill (that's how I got the pic). The DPF mufflers it quite a bit, but still has a nice rumble to it.

cool thanks !    I miss the pete I drove, the best truck I've had . ext hood, C15 cat , rode like a caddy !

Congrats on the new gig Clayton, and completely understand how slow times can not only hurt the bankbook, but put a hurt on the spirit as well. I love the job I have been at for almost 2 1/2 years now, but I was so close to cleaning out my truck a few times over the past few months, mainly because of some slow freight and some days only getting loads that I'd have to wait half my day to even have ready and then only being sometimes 150 mile loads for the day. At least with summer cookout season coming and the summer holidays are actually busier than Thanksgiving and Christmas, mine is finally picking up again, but I still have a couple backup plans. I just enjoy what I do and have gotten spoiled being able to stay at home through the work week that I just don't want to go back to over the road life. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hauled the first load yesterday. It was nice, very nice to drive a a Pete again. Then drive one with that loud CAT turbo whistle, some of you know what im talkin about. Then the growl from those straight 7s, for a truck nut, it's ALMOST better than the girlie bar.

Thanks guys. It sure makes a guy feel good rollin in a nice truck, makin money.

Here a video, the closest I can fund to how the truck im driving sounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3iC0UwE9K0

They hiring!?!? Who wants to help me move my stash!?!?! :lol:

They closest things I ever drove even close to sounding that nice was a 74 Western Star wrecker running a 444 Big Cam and 6 inch straight pipes and my old Werner Classic XL with a Detroit Series 60 after the mufflers burned out! :lol: The old wrecker was fun to drive downtown, you knew it was coming because of the car alarms going off, especially with the little burp of the Jakes when I'd shift. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Clayton.  What a beautiful rig.  The trailer, that would be one of those "pups" we talked about, right?

Knowing that in your area there are lots of custom trucks, I still bet your rig gets it's share of looks too.

Thanks for the pics, that would be a great subject to make a model from.

Excellent Clayton.  What a beautiful rig.  The trailer, that would be one of those "pups" we talked about, right?

Knowing that in your area there are lots of custom trucks, I still bet your rig gets it's share of looks too.

Thanks for the pics, that would be a great subject to make a model from.

I grew up around this side of the trucking industry. I've never heard of this setup, people calling the trailer a pup. This is what people called a pup on the dump truck side.

This is a truck and pup.

Both boxes are able to dump, one at a time. Both have hydraulic rams to lift each box.

I grew up around this side of the trucking industry. I've never heard of this setup, people calling the trailer a pup. This is what people called a pup on the dump truck side.

20150927_104518_zpsag9ltw1g.jpg

This is a truck and pup.

Both boxes are able to dump, one at a time. Both have hydraulic rams to lift each box.

It must be an east coast/west coast thing, but the thing that comes to mind for me with pup trailers are a set of doubles, whether it's a set of 28s, a turnpike double they run in NY, OH, and IN only on the state's turnpikes running doubles up to 48', or a set of Rocky Mountain doubles with a full size trailer and a 28 behind it, and for those north of the border, a B train. 

On the other hand, maybe it's just that the trailer is short, because even though I never pulled doubles, one place I worked for years ago had a 28 footer I pulled instead of taking a straight truck. Whenever I had a route that usually was a straight truck route I always told the boss "I'll use my tractor and take the pup instead" because I always felt they were a little easier to get in a few tight spots than the straight trucks. 

Whatever you want to call it, I still think that is one sweet ride, I'm jealous!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So tell me, have you started building a model of it yet?  :D

No, but I did get a lot of the styrene I'm gonna need though. I just need to find the time to get on it. I've been runnin 5 and 6 days a week since I started with this guy. I know things will slow down, I'll get the time. I'll just work and make the money now so I can take it easy when it slows.

No, but I did get a lot of the styrene I'm gonna need though. I just need to find the time to get on it. I've been runnin 5 and 6 days a week since I started with this guy. I know things will slow down, I'll get the time. I'll just work and make the money now so I can take it easy when it slows.

I knew you could not, NOT, build it. Lol

The company my father-in-law works for has not really slowed down for about 25 years now. He has been with them over 35 years, he is 72, and the seven days prior to ending last Sunday he logged 80 hrs. The young guys can't even dream about keeping up. Lol 

Hey Clayton, good to hear you're busy driving. 

So how does it drive?  Getting lots of lookers?  Any good looking things flashing when they drive by?

:D

It drives great, runs strong. It's a real treat to drive. No eye candy "flashin" by, but lots of compliments, waves and thumbs up.